It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Arkansas bill would let bosses force employees to friend them on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

An Arkansas Senate committee this week is set to consider a bill that would reverse some online privacy protections for workers, undoing part of a social media rights law passed two years ago.

The bill, passed by a 91-1 Arkansas House vote in February, would lift the ban on employers requiring employees to connect with them on social media, thereby allowing bosses to force workers to friend them on Facebook or follow them on Twitter. But some employers would be granted even more access to their employees’ accounts.

The proposal, scheduled for a Senate labor committee hearing on Wednesday, would leave in place the earlier law’s other provisions, which ban employers from asking employees to change their privacy settings or provide their account passwords. But some employers would be exempt from even those prohibitions. Religious organizations and those that deal with the supervision of children — such as schools, day cares and summer camps — would be altogether excluded from the social media rules.

washing ton post

This bill just died in a Senate committee, but can be brought back anytime.

This bill passed the House in Arkansas by a 91-1 vote, I have to ask what kind of people do you have serving in your state congress Arkansas?

The law makers claim that if a person on Facebook talks bad or slanders a boss or company that they have a right to know.

Again is this what they were elected for, do you support this type of intrusion into your privacy? Do you think that a boss should have the right to force you to accept them as a friend on Facebook?

Kinda interesting this hasn't had any discussion.

edit on 17-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Even if you spend your free time writing sonnets to disabled pigeons and make the lyrics naughty, while wearing scuba gear and eating raw bacon while getting your nipples pierced and having some guy named Carl spank you with mackerel, it is none of anyone's business when you are not at work.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I can't begin to state how completely wrong this is.

Private life should be private, and public life public, and business life separate from home life. I guess they want to catch people griping, lying about being sick, or whatever. Big Brother Boss wants in your Bizznesss!!!

Seriously, I get that businesses don't want people blasting out office gossip or negative words about their boss or company, I really do get that, and FB has a public-ish platform, I get that too. But if I thought my boss (whom I actually have as a FB friend, by choice - I work for a community church-ish type place as a choir director - no biggie) would FORCE me to be friends so he could evaluate and judge my online personal content, that would be absolutely wrong.

-AB

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Well that was just fantastically said.

This is some bologna right here.

How does this even get brought up??

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

So, how's Carl doing..?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

So, how's Carl doing..?

He's in physical therapy. Bursitis of the shoulder.

(I told him to switch hands, but he never listens)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Because corporations own congress and business has their ear, their vote and possibly their souls.

I think it may be unconstitutional, but I'm not a scholar on that. Anyone else?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Beezzer! We totally agree on this. Do you know what this means?? We are in some weird time-space fluxuation where the right leaning folk and the left leaning folk manage to find perfect, zen-like balance! Maybe the boat won't sink after all?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Unfortunately this might be legal because any protection from privacy is based on government interfering, not business.

Legally, business can do whatever it wants, they can write their own T&C's as it were.

But that doesn't make it right. I'd fight it not on a partisan issue, but on a moral one.

But yes, we do agree.

(maybe more times than you realize)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Any job that requires someone to use farcebook is NOT a job worth having ..

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Reason #1673 why this old fart doesn't do the facebook thing.

Expose your private life and/or private thoughts publicly, then it's a no-brainer that somebody somewhere is going to use it to their advantage to bite you in the ass with.

It's the nature of the beast.

Today's life lesson is brought to you by the letters "C" and "S", and the number "8"

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Get back to work. All you are is an automoton of production for the wealthy elite. They will dispose if you when and how they see fit. Quit complaining, thats just a flaw in the programming the wealthy elite gave you. You will be recalled and reprogrammed. The bill will be added to your account.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Currently there are upto 22 bills including Facebook across the country most of these bills are for the protection of the citizen, I don't know if other states are working on bills similar to Arkansas.

This is surely NLBS

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
"I don't have a Facebook."

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Ok let's say this is the CRUX? What if your current employer demanded you to create a FB page?
edit on 4/17/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: trollz
Ok let's say this is the CRUX? What if your current employer demanded you to create a FB page?

Am own boss .. never had .. never will have farcebook .. as to anyone telling me to get farcebook my reply to them is sod off and mind your own damn business..

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Can u elaborate further your entire paragraph I thinkNim missing something in that.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If you're forced to behave in a certain way in your private life, by the person who pays you in your professional life, and also to not be entitled to privacy from that person, that person owns your life.
You're property.

Isn't that illegal, to own people as property?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Apparently it is now called a "free market". But hey, if you don't like it just go work for someone else! Cause jobs are easy.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Dude. I live in Arkansas and you would not believe the amount of drama and trash talking that goes on with some people around here. I think it's a good idea, but I don't think anyone should be exempt for any religious reasons. Those types of centers and institutions should have as much culpability as the rest of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join