It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sonoluminescence enigma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
What is the cause of Sonoluminescence?
As I understand it, there are two main theories:
The "pressure release cavitation hypothesis"
en.wikipedia.org...
And the zero point energy hypothesis:
www.21stcenturyradio.com...
The pressure hypothesis is that the argon bubble implodes due to the greater density of the surrounding water creating the pressure. This pressure also generates some of the heat, which in turn creates the photons. After all, heat is from photons so I'd imagine it could also be the other way around?

is that it's the quantum fluctuations of the same type as zero point energy
Then soundwaves are sent in to excite the zero point energy
Thus forcing virtual zero point photons to materialize into full photons
releasing tons of light energy in the process and creating millions of degrees of heat in the process
They've said zero point energy as a source is totally ridiculous because it's the lowest possible state and thus you can't get anything out of it, but I think this might prove that notion wrong.
Zero point energy may be incredibly weak, but it exists in so much abundance that if you end up exciting it you could have an abundance of energy...an "over unity"!
over unity is a bad word
It's impossible...but the fact is, you'd get more out than your putting in because there's an entire energy field already there that's amplifying it.
You are putting the energy in to a system that is already filled with energy, thus giving the illusion of over unity when in fact all you are doing is getting more output than input because the input is going into a field that would increase output...in other words, it's not really over unity. It's just a form of "excitement".
Of course, this isn't a perfect explanation. After all, zero point comes from a ground state and where would that ground state be in these sonoluminescent experiments? There was no vacuum. There was no bose einstein condensate...
The pressure hypothesis is also intruiging, but could that really create the 20,000 degree K tempuratures?
I must admit, I am new to sonoluminescent research. A nuclear physicist friend of mine is helping me build a sonoluminescence chamber, and we wanted to know if there was a way to test which (if either) hypothesis is correct. What would prove such a thing?
Any thoughts, my fellow ATS scientists?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
My vote is for the pressure release cavitation hypothesis...

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I've seen, heard and felt it and the cavitation hypothesis is on the money IMHO.

The mechanism is very similar to the 'Fusor' method of inducing small scale fusion from a violent collapse of a momentary vacuum 'bubble' caused by cavitation. (The Fusor does it by electrically driving ions together with sufficient force for some nuclei to fuse together). Another example of 'natural' fusion via cavitation is exploited by the Pistol Shrimp as a deadly weapon used to kill or stun its prey.

What I witnessed would be on the scale of a single atom or 2 but the flash was visible in daylight and the shockwave could be heard and felt through the concrete floor of a substantial building above a large hydro turbine.
edit on 12/4/2015 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/4/2015 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceOverlord

What about Bremsstrahlung?

Bremsstrahlung is electromagnetic radiation produced by the deceleration of a charged particle when deflected by another charged particle, typically an electron by an atomic nucleus. The moving particle loses kinetic energy, which is converted into a photon, thus satisfying the law of conservation of energy.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps the kinetic motions involved in sonoluminescence are deccelerating some local charged particles, thus emitting photons?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Double post

edit on 12-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne
Isn't that also known as Cherenkov radiation?
(a subtle blue glow produced in deceleration of small particles and the subject of neutrino detectors like Ice Cube and the Japanese Super Kamiokande)

The luminescence I witnessed in cavitation was far more violent and overt than Cherenkov radiation. When I first saw it I thought it was lightning from above but there was no lightning as the light was emanating from several metres of fast flowing water and I couldn't even view it directly so it was just the reflection of those flashes from beneath the turbine I was seeing in the tailrace that coincided with the shocks felt through the structure. Fascinating stuff but how to harness any of it

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

No, Bremsstrahlung is not Cherenkov radiation.

You could say that Bremsstrahlung directly converts kinetic energy into electromagnetic discharge.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Dunno...but when tiger shrimp clamp their pincers shut, it emits a small flash of light:

Pistol shrimp (also called snapping shrimp) produce a type of sonoluminescence from a collapsing bubble caused by quickly snapping its claw. The animal snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation bubble that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. As it extends out from the claw, the bubble reaches speeds of 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) and releases a sound reaching 218 decibels. The pressure is strong enough to kill small fish. The light produced is of lower intensity than the light produced by typical sonoluminescence and is not visible to the naked eye. The light and heat produced may have no direct significance, as it is the shockwave produced by the rapidly collapsing bubble which these shrimp use to stun or kill prey. However, it is the first known instance of an animal producing light by this effect and was whimsically dubbed "shrimpoluminescence" upon its discovery in 2001.[16] It has subsequently been discovered that another group of crustaceans, the mantis shrimp, contains species whose club-like forelimbs can strike so quickly and with such force as to induce sonoluminescent cavitation bubbles upon impact.[17]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
From what I know of basic physics, the water molecule H2O doesn't have fixed bonds. When H2O molecules are together in large amounts, the hydrogen ions and electrons move around breaking and reforming bonds millions of times a second. A bit like velcro or sellotape. Now, when a bubble forms, those bonds break absorbing energy. When the bubble collapses and implodes all those bonds suddenly reform and release energy. There isn't anywhere that energy can go except as heat, light and vibration (sound).

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I believe that's what makes water such a good solvent due to the mobility of H and OH ions in the liquid state. The hydrogen won't escape the mix unless something like sodium is introduced to bond with the OH ions to form NaOH releasing free hydrogen, often explosively. Is it possible that when mechanically induced vacuum 'bubbles' collapse an occasional collision between nuclei of these ions takes place producing the light and shockwaves?

I guess detection of neutron radiation would be required to prove it

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Nothing weak about zero point energy.

The essence of this is a look at the real science and nature, following Keeley, Tesla and Russel's science.

As Above So Below.

The ludicrous thing is we live in a world where a tiny humble shrimp makes our up front, average scientist look like an idiot.

The pistol shrimp, snaps shut its claw and emits a shotgun sound, along with a bubble, the sound hz enters the bubble, and forces the arranged molecules (sound and friction do this) to release the energy.

And the result is not weak: the temperatures reached are the sun's corona, or when they duplicated this: A Star In A Jar!

That is clean, cold fusion type energy, and it could be powering the entire world with small amounts of water, implosion, not explosion force.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The responses on this thread have been excellent and quite intriguing.
But here is my question to all of you: what are some possible ways that would indicate cavitation is the answer? What could I do to experimentally test the various hypothesis put forth to see what is causing the phenomena? I just figure that if I'm gonna build one of these things, I should at least try to figure out what is causing the reaction. How can I put cavitation to the test and see if it holds up?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Certainly not a scientist but -

Does Sono-Luminescence occur in fluid mediums where Gasses are not present?
If not- Cavitation is the most likely suspect.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
For the most part, cavitation is an unwanted side effect in high energy hydraulic systems that damages components and increases system losses. In the system where I witnessed the flashes etc it's obvious that there was a lot of cavitation happening but the flashes were quite random so it's only the occasional bubble that produces it (definitely not a sure thing to go betting the life savings on).

The approach using audio to produce a sustained bubble reaction in stationary water looks the easiest way to go. My example is somewhat impractical for reproducing in the lab.

or..
How about making a mechanical clone of the shrimp's claw. Store energy in it by charging a spring or hydraulic cylinder over a period of time and release it all in a microsecond with geometry fashioned to simulate the shrimp's weapon. Something tells me that any energy produced will pale in comparison to the energy input though

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

purchase some pistol tiger shrimp. they do the same thing with their pincers, and they are cheaper than building reactor.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Here's the thread in which you should ask your question: www.abovetopsecret.com...

All the resident ATS physics experts are there. Plus quite a few cranks, though, so tread warily.

new topics

top topics

join