It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists Trying to Stop Billion Dollar development in Grand Canyon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can't believe I'm reading this crap. A MALL in the Grand Canyon? I do not care if it is a Native American project or not. This is just wrong on every level. The amount of water, power, and other resources this abomination will require, plus the amount of pollution, noise, and disturbance it will bring into the nature preserve will ruin this unique natural wonder.

Nothing is safe anymore.
edit on 11-4-2015 by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf because: Correction

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

The Hopi claim 50% and Interior Secratary Bennett under Clinton issued a stay on any development.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

The Hopi claim 50% and Interior Secratary Bennett under Clinton issued a stay on any development.

Well, it seems the Hopi are making money off this sacred land right now, or so the Navajo have found.

grandcanyonescalade.com...

I will have to read about this.
edit on 11-4-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If the tribe supports this then I say let them have it.

IMHO they were here first and have done a good job for a few thousand years, who are a bunch of anonymous people totally detached from the issue to tell them what they can or cannot due in regards to developing their reservation?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Ha, wait when Walmart comes to join the venture and all the land around the mall will be rezone as business, the grand Canyon will be for sell or under Eminem domain.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

See NBC News link in my first reply includes it.
ETA Bennett Freeze is the correct term for search.
Navajo News Bennit Freeze
edit on 11-4-2015 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

See NBC News link in my first reply includes it.

I've gone further and looked up Hopi tourism in their sacred areas.

grandcanyonescalade.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

See my edit.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Oops! This became political for no reason. Here we were all getting along and agreeing and someone had to ruin it with their partisan politics. Can't we all agree for a change and stop politicizing EVERYTHING?

/sigh

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Oops! This became political for no reason. Here we were all getting along and agreeing and someone had to ruin it with their partisan politics. Can't we all agree for a change and stop politicizing EVERYTHING?

/sigh

Capitalism in America is political. There is no escaping it. Politics determines how the markets operate from the smallest mom and pop, to the type of resort planned for the Grand Canyon.

Look at the politicians already involved with this project and more...

www.foxnews.com...

It will be the politicians that determine the fate of the Grand Canyon...not the people. This is as much a political issue as an environmental issue...sorry if that disturbs you.

edit on 11-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Yup If people really care they will not use the place when built.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

It will be the politicians that determine the fate of the Grand Canyon...not the people. This is as much a political issue as an environmental issue...sorry if that disturbs you.

What disturbs me is when people come together to discuss ideas and find agreement and then someone brings up one of the two irrelevant political parties (which are essentially the same) and everything breaks down. If people on this site had the brains to discuss ideas instead of being political tools we could get somewhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

What disturbs me is when people come together to discuss ideas and find agreement and then someone brings up one of the two irrelevant political parties (which are essentially the same) and everything breaks down. If people on this site had the brains to discuss ideas instead of being political tools we could get somewhere.

Did you not notice that this thread is in the Political issues forum. What did you expect! Unicorns, rainbows and other hippie BS?

edit on 11-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Did you not notice that this thread is in the Political issues forum. What did you expect!

Better?

2nd

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
There is no end to greed. Law makers will accept the bribes and let it be built.

no doubt mccain and co have there dirty mitts in this
probably why he and fellow arizona senators have been trying to steal Navajo and Hopi water rights since 2012 or thereabouts.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
So, no one here has any faith in the native people to do everything in their power to build responsibly with respect to sacred lands and minimizing all types of pollution?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The Navajo try to live in harmony with Mother Earth and with other people. They believe that everything has its place in the universe, even the smallest thing.

Everything is related – people, plants, animals, mountains and the Earth itself. Each thing, or being, has its own spirit or inner strength. This helps people to find a purpose in life and connect with other people and things.
link

I'm pretty sure that native Americans, as well as other natives in various countries never claim ownership of the land they share with the Earth - they claim they belong to her/it - and there is a very subtle and distinct difference.

Simply because the Navajo people have apparently given it the green light and stand to collect all the revenue does not change the fact that corporate greed and money will (again) trump historical and cultural interests.

So, no one here has any faith in the native people to do everything in their power to build responsibly with respect to sacred lands and minimizing all types of pollution?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions - we are talking a single generation of native American representatives giving it the OK - do not the past and future generations deserve equal representation at this negotiating table - or do you believe they have already been accounted for (by this current generation)?

What do you think the ancestors would have to say about all this?

IMO - The Grand Canyon, irrespective of it's geographical location on this planet, is for ALL humanity to enjoy and marvel at - after all it's one of the US's top TOURIST attractions. Do you think a tourist, when heading to see the GC, wants to see Walmart instead (or as well).

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The Navajo try to live in harmony with Mother Earth and with other people. They believe that everything has its place in the universe, even the smallest thing.

Everything is related – people, plants, animals, mountains and the Earth itself. Each thing, or being, has its own spirit or inner strength. This helps people to find a purpose in life and connect with other people and things.
link

I'm pretty sure that native Americans, as well as other natives in various countries never claim ownership of the land they share with the Earth - they claim they belong to her/it - and there is a very subtle and distinct difference.

Simply because the Navajo people have apparently given it the green light and stand to collect all the revenue does not change the fact that corporate greed and money will (again) trump historical and cultural interests.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions - we are talking a single generation of native American representatives giving it the OK - do not the past and future generations deserve equal representation at this negotiating table - or do you believe they have already been accounted for (by this current generation)?

What do you think the ancestors would have to say about all this?

IMO - The Grand Canyon, irrespective of it's geographical location on this planet, is for ALL humanity to enjoy and marvel at - after all it's one of the US's top TOURIST attractions. Do you think a tourist, when heading to see the GC, wants to see Walmart instead (or as well).

I know of the power of sacred land and I have no doubt that these people can and will develop it without detriment to upcoming generations.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

There is a fair bit of "knee-jerk" comments in this thread who did not research prior to replying.
So I can see how you would ask that question.
Myself seeing this as a very unique case of public lands use intersecting with Navajo Reservation development rights. Can't another project be proposed that is better overall benefit to all concerned Americans?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

There is a fair bit of "knee-jerk" comments in this thread who did not research prior to replying.
So I can see how you would ask that question.
Myself seeing this as a very unique case of public lands use intersecting with Navajo Reservation development rights. Can't another project be proposed that is better overall benefit to all concerned Americans?

But, that is my question, why so little faith in the Navajo Nation to do the right thing for all concerned?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join