It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is the smallest computer in the world - the Michigan Micro Mote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This line of 'smart dust' devices includes computers equipped
with imagers (with motion detection), temperature sensors,
and pressure sensors. 'The sensors are the input and the radios
are the output.

It is the smallest computer in the world - and 150 of them can fit in a thimble. Called the Michigan Micro Mote, to tiny technology is a complete computer system. Its inventors say it can act as a smart sensor, and give everyday objects computing capabilities.

- snip -

The solar system allows the computer to work under indoor lights without ever having to be charged.

That's about a million times less power than the average mobile phone consumes while on standby, or the comparative difference between the thickness of a sheet of paper and the length of a football field.

'Down the road we want these sensors to be able to talk to one another,' says Blaauw

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Got a link for this? Sounds intriguing!!

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Yes source, please. I've heard of things similar to this before, so I have no doubt that it exists, but I haven't seen any details.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

I have read about these things before, it was about having them in eyes to measure pressure with medical conditions.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Long ago in a galaxy just like this one I 'predicted' that computers would someday be just gas (or something put together with millions of computers with the consistency of gas). Tis a step closer....

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is probably the source link.

One should note that the appellation "smart dust" is sort of imprecise. "Smart Tic-tac" would be closer. In addition, you'll see that one of the photos shows one that's quite a bit larger, because it has to have an antenna attached.

This is a universal issue with pico-computers that have radio links. Radio has this pesky requirement to have an antenna with a size that's related to the frequency the radio operates at. The smaller the antenna, the higher the frequency. As the frequency goes up, the power consumption goes up and the range goes down.

Much smaller than this, they have to go to laser links.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Nano-SCADA-bots!

Awesome, I'll take a gross.

Gemwolf!?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Awesome! Let's get billions of them into space and spread them on the clouds of other planets.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Power supply itself is the other bugbear, of course. That and cooling the processor.

join