It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Video Card Won't Boot

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I guess 'supposed to be compatible' is the key here. Personally I have had numerous issues with hw interfaces that are supposed to be compatible. I have even had DVD players with SATA that work on one platform but are not even found by BIOS on another. And no mobo BIOS upgrade helped. Just a small difference in hw interface, plugging a SATA3.0 DVD player into a 2.0 connector on the mobo.

Your card might work on another mobo with PCIe 2.0 or not. Also, 'supposed to be compatible', does not translate to 'has been tested'.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
that motherboard is quite terrible, from the lack of information on it I assume it is a prebuilt HP?.

a lot of people are having issues with that motherboard, no BIOS updates for it etc etc, prebuilt mobos are generally horrific and have terrible support for certain hardware.

100% the motherboard is the issue, you could just buy a new motherboard and it will be fine but like you said might as well upgrade the cpu too since the 6100 isn't very strong.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TatTvamAsi
Simple, your mobo is PCIe 2.0. The graphics card is PCIe 3.0 only. Ignore all the above answers, you will not get it to work unless you buy a PCIe 3.0 compatible mobo.

I don't know what is worse, that you gave incorrect info or that you then told the OP to ignore everyone above based on your incorrect answer.

edit on 9-4-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I hope OP comes back I want to know how this saga concluded.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

Of course the OP will come back......

But it takes a few days for a new motherboard and CPU to come in.

Also, I decided to upgrade his RAM. He was using 666 Mhz memory....uhg. His new memory will be about 4 times faster.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You are a good father.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I have my PC connected to my TV and my monitor. If I decide to refresh my system ( I play around with different OS's a lot) It always defaults to my TV as the primary monitor upon install. Of course I never have my TV turned on and on the right channel to notice. If he has a similar setup, try only having the monitor hooked up when you turn on the computer.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Okay guys, I promised I would get back to you all on this.

My son's computer is up and running. The solution was: replace entire computer! hehehehehehe

The problem was that his old motherboard's bios was having an issue with the new video card. One would think you could just update the bios, but that motherboard is in a pre-built HP computer, and I was having issue finding a bios update.

It was much easier to just change out his motherboard, with a much newer system.

Since we were replacing the motherboard, and because I also knew that his FX6100 CPU would act as a bottle neck for his high end video card, we replaced the CPU with a eight core FX8350.

AND: his memory was OLD, running at only 666 Mhz, so I replaced his memory with much faster DDR3 RAM.

So basically: he got a completely NEW computer.

Still had issue though. His new motherboard would not fit in the HP case as it was a mini tower. I didn't pay attention to this at the time and when his parts came in yesterday, I discovered it then. So I went back home, grabbed my brand new tower that I had bought just a month ago and gave it to him.

Even with my mid size tower, his video card did not want to fit! It's HUGE. I had to remove part of the mounting for the internal HD to make it fit!

Here's some pics of the system. It's working like a champ now:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Here's some pics of the system. It's working like a champ now:

GAH!!!! cable management!!11!1! very nice rig there. I had a similar issue when i got my gtx970 a few months ago too. I had to remove the HDD bay to get that sucker to fit. Thing is massive, and with a dual card in there there is absolutely no room for anything. I think dust would even find it difficult to maneuver around. Anyways, hope he enjoys the new setup!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Nice !

I had to cut in my mid tower also to make it fit.

He can have some fun now.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: saabster5

Yah I hadn't tie wrapped the cables yet when I took the pics.

The MB came with a a door hanger that says "Do Not Disturb. I'm Busy Gaming!"

Cracked me up to no end.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: saabster5

Cable management is indeed much more important as people think with those beasts of cards...2 x 8 pins power and PCI-E power = 2 x 150w and 1 x 75w, so that`s a lot of heat.

Airflow needs to be as unrestricted as possible. Cables let the flow whirl much more as you would expect, making cooling much worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join