It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here comes another blow to the workforce. (robots)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Sawyer the one-armed robot can do many things. It can assemble goods on the factory floor day after day without tiring, taking toilet breaks, or asking its boss for a raise. What Sawyer can't do, however, is understand the human debate swirling around its potential to revolutionize manufacturing -- and society -- as we know it. Depending on who you speak to, robots like Sawyer either foretell a new era of global unemployment, or save us from the kind of dull jobs you wouldn't wish on your own child.
link

Well, this has been a long time coming and we are one step closer to the elimination of the human workforce. How long will our wonderful overlords keep us around when they have everything they need being made by robots. The human species is one step closer to being obsolete.

Pretty cool either way

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Mexican robots.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazzzarus22

*sigh......

I'm not mad at you... just disappointed....

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Is the world of progress a jobless homeless mind controlled world? Because what I see is the opening up to the service industry and a closing of blue collar job replaced by service trained techs. We are talking about a booming highly educated bottom line, not Orwellian night mare.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Is the world of progress a jobless homeless mind controlled world? Because what I see is the opening up to the service industry and a closing of blue collar job replaced by service trained techs. We are talking about a booming highly educated bottom line, not Orwellian night mare.

Could go either way. Depends on how hungry people get.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare

Sawyer the one-armed robot can do many things. It can assemble goods on the factory floor day after day without tiring, taking toilet breaks, or asking its boss for a raise. What Sawyer can't do, however, is understand the human debate swirling around its potential to revolutionize manufacturing -- and society -- as we know it. Depending on who you speak to, robots like Sawyer either foretell a new era of global unemployment, or save us from the kind of dull jobs you wouldn't wish on your own child.
link

Well, this has been a long time coming and we are one step closer to the elimination of the human workforce. How long will our wonderful overlords keep us around when they have everything they need being made by robots. The human species is one step closer to being obsolete.

Pretty cool either way

Your Snowden thread was informative, this one is old hat. The ingenuity of the human mind is without comparison, and continues to innovate on even the simplest of tasks..it's called clever, and intuitive.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I love my employees so I would fight hard to keep them.
edit on 1428457475Tuesday30Tue, 07 Apr 2015 20:44:35 -0500pmTuesday4480830 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
If the robot is controlled by a computer it hasn't got a hope in hell of replacing anything. Computers are unreliable and stupid. And I bet robots will be stupid and unreliable for a long time yet. I pity those poor service techs trying to keep the things operational. I hate computers. Why can't those halfwit engineers design something that works properly?
Sorry. Just living up to my name.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This robot doesn't seem much different from the ones that have been used in factories and in the manufacturing industry for decades...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

And decades and decades

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
They won't need us to build things for them pretty quick. We will be disposed of. We will all die of natural causes except maybe a million or so people. Stragglers will not be helped except if they can be controlled and taught how to grow good food for the ones who orchestrated this plot.

Great movie plot.
edit on 7-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Once the robots build and fix new robots and do most other jobs
then you will find out why the kleptocrats are a Neo-malthusian death cult.

They basically want to be the race mentioned in one of Asmiov's books
the Solarians.

Solaria

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grumpy64
I hate computers.

Oh the irony.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare

link

Pretty cool either way

Think about it...why do the 'bosses' need manufacturing facilities run by robots to produce products for...whom exactly?

Why would the elite need manufacturing facilities to make mass produced products if the 99% are obsolete? Who will purchase these products being churned out morning, noon and night 365 days a year?

We, the 99%, the former workforce will be the majority of intended buyers of these products would we not?

How will we purchase these robot produced products if we have no money?

If full automation of manufacturing is to come to pass, there will need to be a dynamic shift in the financial structures of our societies.

Money and wealth will have to undergo a paradigm shift in how it operates. No longer will people go to work to earn money, as most of the work will be done by automation, so some other way of allocating wealth and finances will have to be implemented as the norm.

How that will look is difficult to imagine, but it could be some kind of credits system, citizen credits, good behaviour credits, credits awarded for doing good, service to humanity, service to community and locale...in other words, perhaps a system of financial reward given not for work and time put in to manufacture goods or perform services, but awarded instead for being a helpful person, for doing good work in ones local community, will take over from old wages.

But whatever happens, the may not ultimately need us to manufacture the goods...but they will certainly need us to buy, use or consume those goods...so something will need to change to enable us to have the resources in order to actually buy those robot made products.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

That future probably won't be for some time, but I tend to agree. As we move into a post-scarcity society where most jobs are done via automation, I think human beings will shift to more mental and creative roles. Earning money by producing works of art (music, painting, acting, etc), or serving the community. A basic income will probably be provided, and work will largely be voluntary.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: MysterX

That future probably won't be for some time, but I tend to agree. As we move into a post-scarcity society where most jobs are done via automation, I think human beings will shift to more mental and creative roles. Earning money by producing works of art (music, painting, acting, etc), or serving the community. A basic income will probably be provided, and work will largely be voluntary.

In the life times of the young they will see a robot with a 3D printer in its hand.

It could literally walk up and print almost anything.

They now have it so they can 3D print carbon nano tubes so it will
be nearly indestructible, and apparently they can even be super conductors.

One man on a TED talk prints it like glass, but it acts as a solar panel.

top topics

join