It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

human genetic engineering reaching dangerous new levels

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

yea some black bio-sunglasses sown onto once face from birth like braces
maybe spend a few generations on the ISS (longer bones due to weightlessness, and do some dna changes
for a thicker skin, which makes blood less visible, and makes the skin look more grey.. (anti radiation)
we are becoming the greys ourselves slowly in a phew years, I can hardly keep in touch
who's on the iss now and for how long. interest seems to have dropped in the public.
edit on 8-4-2015 by dennisarends because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2015 by dennisarends because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
mmmmm..interesting topic

to the op person:think i know where he/she was going with this. the concern with obedience gene. have that been found yet?lol.

i mean yea such a scenario is plausible cuz hasn't monsanto been alleged to put gmos on market without telling consumers and they been duped for decades.

so unless you have an honest authority you can trust to weed out bad genes for your children. and well how much do you trust government with something this important these days ? while i don;t beleive government 's dishonest with everything , lets just say they may be spotty.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When Bio genetics can merge with cybernetics, leading to the idea of an Ultimate life form then we can worry about it. Removing faulty genetic code would be awesome in some cases for certain birth cases, like Siamese twins having vital connected for example, where it could be possible to genetically split them apart instead of cutting them with a knife.

Thing is reality and science are b****s when it comes to hasty scientific advancements, a few genetic rewiring would be beneficial to say the least, but when it gets to be continuous and overboard like plastic surgery, at such an early stage of it development like plastic surgery, we all know how ugly it could get. I wouldn't mind having skin that can absorb solar radiation as a food/power source since it would be in abundance, and limit the reliance of food, like that choppy anime on Netflix "Knights of Cydonia".

Genetic enchantments would be awesome so long as it not relied on heavily, where it kind of takes the drive out of life wouldn't it, since life needs to thrive? And those genetics that make us what we are would be lost over generations due to the lack of not being used possibly.
edit on 7-6-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Let me inject race into this subject. There is a "black" man and a "white" man; Why? The "black" man is black due to melanin. Melanin helps protect the DNA of lower skin cell from being inundated with UV radiation. This UV radiation can cause adjacent thymines to bond a second time to each other forming thymine dimers. These dimers can cause replication problems that lead to cancer. It is good to be "black".

The "white" man lacks melanin but survives without getting cancer. In fact being "white" helps the man survive. The "white" man has two sources of vitamin D. Either the man gets vitamin D from his food or his body makes the vitamin D. The body makes vitamin D from a precursor in the lower skin cells. Guess what the energy source for this vitamin D manufacturing mechanism is... it is UV radiation. So by not having melanin the "white" man can survive in a different environment by having the ability to produce more vitamin D per available sunlight.

Thus, depending on the situation, the color of your skin can be a benefit or a hindrance. Hmm.

Note: you could make this same argument for sickle cell trait.

I also know that by having sunscreen and vitamin D infused food, we have made skin color less relevant to survival. The problem is; do we know enough to begin eliminating gene sequences with out having adverse side effects?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
This has I AM LEGEND written all over it.

Eradicating future cancer through genetic manipulation?

The ways genes express themselves is different than what scientists can figure out a purpose for.

Idiots.

~Namaste

Idiots.......Nope........TPTB could care less about mankind and that is why I am against this currently. What they letting out is the tip of the iceberg I believe. Just like military tech it is all withheld for many......many years. Sad really because I believe we already have the cure to cancer and many other diseases.

Think I am crazy.........Look at Ebola and when it really started taking off in non 3rd world countries.....Oh look we do have a cure of sorts......Hmm. Why not show empathy and compassion for our African friends....Instead they sat back and waited for the right time to bring it out.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs during, and shortly after, WWII was based upon a concept postulated by Albert Einstein in his 1905 paper on special relativity. The concept had to do with mass–energy equivalence and was described in his famous equation E = mc^2. The formal derivation of this relationship between mass and energy was a big step forward for science and our understanding of one of nature’s great mysteries. In a nutshell, it basically meant that a small amount of matter can release a huge amount of energy, as in a nuclear reaction. As we all know, the military application of this concept resulted in the end of WWII. Depending on how you look at it, the development of “the bomb” either

a) Served a good and honorable purpose by ending the war and saving a lot of lives, or
b) Caused the instant/horrific death of many thousands of innocent people and the total destruction of the cities they lived in.

One thing for sure, it changed our world, suddenly anointing mankind with the power of complete and utter destruction. Within a few short years we gave a small group of individuals on the planet the capability to destroy the world many times over at the push of a button. The genie was now out of the bottle and couldn’t be put back in, which brings us to today.

Einstein had no idea when he made his discovery that it would lead to the dark alleys that it has. As a pure scientist, he was simply trying to advance our understanding of the Universe and it’s workings. The development of “the bomb” caused him much distress and sorrow. The U.S. government even lifted Einstein’s security clearances and black-listed him for his opposition to “the bomb”. It reminds me of a quote attributed to him about the way it came to be. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Einstein said, "If I had known they were going to do this, I would have become a shoemaker."

At any rate, I mention this because I believe it has some relevance to the situation we find ourselves in today. I feel there’s a certain amount of uneasiness in the air right now regarding some of the technologies that are advancing at break-neck speeds. As I put it in another thread, it’s not just the genetic engineering advances taking place that’s causing a lot of stir these days. Let’s not forget the rapid developments taking place in other critical technologies/sciences, as well; artificial intelligence, robotics, mass data collection and mining, genome sequencing, human longevity, nanotechnology, neuroscience, brainwave research, epigenetic modification of DNA structures, and on and on... There has never been a time when so much change has taken place so rapidly, around so many life-changing areas of scientific/engineering research, all at the same time and under the complete control and questionable judgement (cough, cough...) of humans. I just think we need to tread very lightly and thoroughly think through the possible ramifications of what we’re doing right now, and where it may lead us down the road. Technology is a double-edged sword. Hopefully in our haste to build the world’s first AI, or engineer the perfect Human, or finally realize the Fountain of Youth, we will not overlook the grave consequences in the event we screw up. It could mean the survival of our species, to put it lightly.

Just my 2 cents...

PS: Regarding the subject of the OP, Hitler would’ve loved to get ahold of epigenetic modification of DNA technology.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join