It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Liberty...Symbol of Freedom or Just Another Spy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Are mannequins peeping? Is your shopping mall creeping? Is the Statue of Liberty Spying on you? Yup! I'm betting that there are a great many people not aware of how their symbol of freedom is being used against them.
www.activistpost.com...
But what about Lady Liberty? Has she sold out?
briefcam.com...

I don’t think I have to point out the irony in the next few sentences. (pssst...first line. Wink, wink) At least I hope I don’t have to.

The Statue of Liberty reopened to the public on Independence Day, July 4, 2013, following eight months of renovation and repairs due to the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy.

As part of the refurbishment, Total Recall reached out to the U.S. Park Police, NPS and DOI with a state-of-the-art surveillance system proposal that would be designed, installed and maintained as a donation by the company.
In preparation for the reopening, Total Recall redesigned the Statue’s surveillance and security system from top to bottom, including migrating from outdated analog CCTV to the latest in IP-based digital video technology, building an intelligent and ultra-modern command center to help the NPS and U.S.

Park Police do their jobs more effectively and enabling the park to cover areas with video surveillance that they could not reach before, such as the security screening facilities.

And she wept...

Don't you just love the name? TOTAL RECALL...Sweet!

That’s right, Lady Liberty, the monolithic structure that greets our poor, tired, huddled masses, is part of Big Brother’s surveillance enterprise. Actually, it has been since 2002, when early face-recognition software was installed. Since then, the technology has evolved and so has the amount of money infused into the surveillance industry. In 2012, contractor Total Recall Corp. outfitted our fair lady with FaceVACS-VideoScan software, which tracks millions of New Yorkers’ faces in real-time, pinpointing race, gender, ethnicity, age, and even “client behavior.”

And what happened when someone tried to write an article on the Femme Fatale of America because they seem to be omitting a very crucial point...Facial Recognition. Should have guessed tho...Total Recall, remember?
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.slate.com...

FaceVACS, made by German firm Cognitec. FaceVACS, Cognitec boasts in marketing materials, can guess ethnicity based on a person’s skin color, flag suspects on watch lists, estimate the age of a person, detect gender, “track” faces in real time, and help identify suspects if they have tried to evade detection by putting on glasses, growing a beard, or changing their hairstyle.

The great irony here, of course, is that this is a story about a symbol that stands to represent freedom and democracy in the modern world using arguably unconstitutional domestic surveillance practices.

Give us your tired, your poor...aw crap, get over it already.

Jude11

edit on 3-4-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

The other creepy things you didn't know were spying on you (from the activist post article) were actually more frightening to me than Lady Liberty (probably because I don't plan on going to see her anytime soon). Like how companies are spying on us in supermarkets, or IN OUR HOMES if we're watching the Big Bang Theory. Ugh... Orwellian society

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's the two eyes of Liberty.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

The other creepy things you didn't know were spying on you (from the activist post article) were actually more frightening to me than Lady Liberty (probably because I don't plan on going to see her anytime soon). Like how companies are spying on us in supermarkets, or IN OUR HOMES if we're watching the Big Bang Theory. Ugh... Orwellian society

I'm assuming that most are aware of those methods, maybe not? The big bang thing caught me tho. Must be trying to see who might be intelligent enough to understand some of the science references. Can't have too smart of a population right? Gotta watch out for those that might be able to chew bubblegum and carry a can of gasoline at the same time.

The statue is what really pissed me off tho.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's the two eyes of Liberty.

What about the set of eyes in the back of her head? Must be there.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Maybe it symbolises freedom to know you are being spied upon by thine Government?

Maybe it symbolises how close you have been to France over the centuries?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It was just a front for them placing explosives on all the supports so they could bring it down with a few hundred people in it at the next big event....

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
It was just a front for them placing explosives on all the supports so they could bring it down with a few hundred people in it at the next big event....

You are mistaken.

It's Lady Liberty NOT Building 7!

(jk)

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The great irony here, of course, is that this is a story about a symbol that stands to represent freedom and democracy in the modern world using arguably unconstitutional domestic surveillance practices.

So by putting surveillance cameras on a world renowned representation of Liberty is "arguably" unconstitutional? Is putting security cameras on private residences and businesses be equally unconstitutional? Each provides the same purpose, Liberty's eyes are just more sophisticated.

Wouldn't this symbol be of high interest to terrorist groups? The destruction of Lady Liberty wouldn't cause a significant death toll but it would be a powerful demonstration to the American public that they no longer are free, with Liberty and Justice for all being physically and symbolically destroyed. I'm actually surprised they waited this long to do so, which may be a sign that they expect something may happen to it in the near future. Not only could the Ghostbusters walk down Manhattan with it; the Government could destroy it on their own and blae it on whatever shill terrorist group necessary to have the greatest effect. Cameras don't stop crimes, they just record them, so if cameras wren't installed and something happened then it would be one of those incidents we wish we had footage of. Which is why they made the security system IP based, so if the entire structure went down the footage would be recorded to a remote server rather than being destroyed with the statue.

But I agree the facial recognition is pretty Orwellian. I bet the cameras have more capabilities than what were disclosed. They likley can patrol the entire visible coast with drone zoom/resolution technology. If you have seen Big Hero 6, the robot has a sensor that can scan an entire city at once in order to detect many physical traits of people including blood type and show their location. Just be lucky you don't live in San FranTokyo.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Maybe it symbolises freedom to know you are being spied upon by thine Government?

Or maybe it's just Big Brother's baby sister getting her freak on?

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

A bit on the heritage of French revolution:

A bit on the heritage of American revolution:

Hm...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: iDope

So by putting surveillance cameras on a world renowned representation of Liberty is "arguably" unconstitutional? Is putting security cameras on private residences and businesses be equally unconstitutional? Each provides the same purpose, Liberty's eyes are just more sophisticated.

Wouldn't this symbol be of high interest to terrorist groups? The destruction of Lady Liberty wouldn't cause a significant death toll but it would be a powerful demonstration to the American public that they no longer are free, with Liberty and Justice for all being physically and symbolically destroyed. I'm actually surprised they waited this long to do so, which may be a sign that they expect something may happen to it in the near future. Not only could the Ghostbusters walk down Manhattan with it; the Government could destroy it on their own and blae it on whatever shill terrorist group necessary to have the greatest effect. Cameras don't stop crimes, they just record them, so if cameras wren't installed and something happened then it would be one of those incidents we wish we had footage of. Which is why they made the security system IP based, so if the entire structure went down the footage would be recorded to a remote server rather than being destroyed with the statue.

But I agree the facial recognition is pretty Orwellian. I bet the cameras have more capabilities than what were disclosed. They likley can patrol the entire visible coast with drone zoom/resolution technology. If you have seen Big Hero 6, the robot has a sensor that can scan an entire city at once in order to detect many physical traits of people including blood type and show their location. Just be lucky you don't live in San FranTokyo.

Your statements seem to be right out of the play book titled "If you aren't doing anything wrong, why do you have a problem with us spying on you?"

One false flag 14 yrs ago and nothing since but the surveillance keeps growing. For the children of course.

I get your reasoning but can't agree with it. Respect tho.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Or maybe it's just Big Brother's baby sister getting her freak on?

Jude11

Oui, C'est Bon.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It only makes sense. I hate it, cameras are everywhere. I expect them now in such public places like Lady Liberty.
Where I especially don't like them is in our xboxes, TV, appliances, phones...
The National even had a piece on that showed how Canada's privacy commission is looking into how our brand new vehicles are spying on us. Where we go and when, facial recognition to deter theft, advertisements for coffee shops if we've been driving too long.
Google glasses, Meerkat apps.....more and more to get everything recorded .....

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I do hope they are recording me.

They're in for a very entertaining show.

Watch me change the world.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
It only makes sense. I hate it, cameras are everywhere. I expect them now in such public places like Lady Liberty.
Where I especially don't like them is in our xboxes, TV, appliances, phones...
The National even had a piece on that showed how Canada's privacy commission is looking into how our brand new vehicles are spying on us. Where we go and when, facial recognition to deter theft, advertisements for coffee shops if we've been driving too long.
Google glasses, Meerkat apps.....more and more to get everything recorded .....

Did you see this link?

www.activistpost.com...

Exactly what you are saying.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Lol. Even the first ad that came up in that article. I wonder what ads came up for other people that have looked at it?
It was an ad for shelter dogs - I've been looking for another dog.

I occasionally find myself ranting at my phone these days. I feel like there's a possibility that there's someone on the other end of that front facing camera, so I tell them often that Samsung's service and reception really suck

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
"and she wept"

Forefathers turning in their graves.

What are we doing to prevent chaos? And she wept.

There are enough of us to change.

We, U.S.A., like modern day Rome/ modern day Nazi Germany.

We will fall.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
She has become a symbol of shame, war for profit, and glaring hypocrisy. The statue of hope my father saw as he sailed to Ellis Island is now the whore of Babylon. She can spy all she wants. She will watch as we rip each other to shreds to the delight of the elite.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States. The statue, designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, a French sculptor and dedicated on October 28, 1886, was a gift to the United States from the people of France.

[T]he Park Service suggested that Laboulaye was minded to honor the Union victory and its consequences, ...

"With the abolition of slavery and the Union's victory in the Civil War in 1865, Laboulaye's wishes of freedom and democracy were turning into a reality in the United States.

In order to honor these achievements, Laboulaye proposed that a gift be built for the United States on behalf of France.

Laboulaye hoped that by calling attention to the recent achievements of the United States, the French people would be inspired to call for their own democracy in the face of a repressive monarchy."
Statue of Liberty

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join