It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is War of the Worlds Rated G?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I watched War of the Worlds (1953 version) on DVD this morning, and noticed the G rating. Why is alien invasion, mass destruction and evacuation of cities, and nuclear warfare considered "fun for the entire family"? Even though it has a happy ending, I think it would at least warrant a PG-13 rating. Just curious. I'm not really concerned about movie ratings.
edit on 2-4-2015 by GreenElf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenElf

There is no blood and gore, nor sex,drugs or nudity. No cursing or alcohol. Why would it rate a PG-13 ? Its a pretty tame movie, kids are exposed to more on the news each night than whats in the movie...need I even mention what they are exposed to at school or on the internet.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A lot of old "pg" movies have full frontal nudity in them, like the pink panther movie for example...

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenElf
I watched War of the Worlds (1953 version) on DVD this morning, and noticed the G rating. Why is alien invasion, mass destruction and evacuation of cities, and nuclear warfare considered "fun for the entire family"? Even though it has a happy ending, I think it would at least warrant a PG-13 rating. Just curious. I'm not really concerned about movie ratings.

Well for one PG 13 didn't start until 1984 so that is just a few years past 1953.

You can't be serious with this thread right?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Because it is a bad movie and they want to make as available to the largest audience as possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, the movie is also in black & white. So is anyone under 50 going to watch it anyway?

-dex

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I think the movie is Technicolor.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

I think the movie is Technicolor.

I see. That's correct. According to Wikipedia:

The War of the Worlds opens with a black-and-white prologue featuring newsreel war footage and a voice-over describing the destructive technological advancements of Earthly warfare from World War I through World War II. The image then smash cuts to vivid Technicolor and the dramatic opening title card and credits which follow.

-dex

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Because it is a bad movie and they want to make as available to the largest audience as possible.

My reply above was to applied to the Tom Cruise remake of the movie of a few years ago. (Perhaps the date of the movie that I see now in the opening post was added later in the OP's edit?)

Anyway, I was a young teenager when the original arrived on the scene. Today, the movie is considered very tame and mundane, but in its day it had some exciting moments without undue explosions, etc. But blood and guts T&A stuff and strong language were missing from all movies.

new topics

top topics

join