It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphene Lightbulb Set For Shops

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

All LEDs are dimmable but the old standard simple phase shift type dimmers are not so suitable for them (messes up the internal inverter power supplies).

As I don't want to rewire my house for DC, that's the sort I've got. Some LEDs are supposed to be dimmable with those, but so far, I've only found one that worked well, the others get this neat epilepsy inducing throb.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
One of the most significant costs in LED lighting, and it would apply to graphene and CFL as well, is the number of independent power supplies and inverters that are duplicated and integrated into them. These are expensive, and involve a great deal of redundant power transistors, capacitors, resistors, diodes and inductors to be distributed in the runs of these lights, each independently converting AC to DC.

The best solution, is to have your home wired for low voltage DC. This is one main switching power supply that will supply the 5-12 volts with on-demand amperage, located next to the mains AC distribution in your house. This will be the future norm in newly built housing, but you can have it done, or do it yourself if you understand how to snake the wiring and put in receptacles in key places in the house. This is also a way to save even more electricity, as this method of providing power is much more efficient. It also completely eliminates the need for most wall-wart devices that are constantly on, and become an unsightly and unmanageable tangle of wires at your AC receptacles.

This is my personal dream having gobs of audio gear.

The problem is that most units have integrated AC to DC converters, not impossible but a huge task.

Also, I have never owned property and likely never will so, it seems I will be longing for central DC forever.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Geez , Great . Yet Another invention of Modern Science to Destroy my Eyesight and Fill the Coufers of Big Biz.... .

" Before the incandescent bulbs go out for good, it’s worth shining a light on its cause: The ban was pushed by light bulb makers eager to up-sell customers on longer-lasting and much more expensive halogen, compact fluourescent, and LED lighting. When customers balked at paying more for home lighting, General Electric, Sylvania, and Philips did what corporate behemoths always do: They turned to the government for regulation that rigs the market in their favor.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Also, I have never owned property and likely never will so, it seems I will be longing for central DC forever.

HVDC would make more sense. Drop 300V to the sockets. Otherwise, you're going to have the same issues, only worse.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The problem is that most units have integrated AC to DC converters, not impossible but a huge task.

I just clip them out and put DC pigtail connectors on them. Chain them together in parallel, then out to a DC receptacle that can handle the combined wattage.

(switches and dimmer in between of course. DC Dimmers are very smooth, no messy AC artifacts.)

edit on 1-4-2015 by charlyv because: content

edit on 1-4-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

I just clip them out and put DC pigtail connectors on them. Chain them together in parallel, then out to a DC receptacle that can handle the combined wattage.

(switches and dimmer in between of course. DC Dimmers are very smooth, no messy AC artifacts.)

Good advice, I have done that for my oft used preamps, mixers and effects with separate chains for the handful of voltages. Strangely, some units have a functional amperage range (usually around 150-350 milliamps) that , when exceeded, fail to function.

I haven't summoned the courage to perform surgery on my analog synths and digital samplers mostly because I buy and sell them regularly. It also seems like heresy to crack open a Sequential Circuits if I can transformer isolate it for the same effect.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It also seems like heresy to crack open a Sequential Circuits if I can transformer isolate it for the same effect.

Yea, some expensive stuff should be left out of an endeavor like this, voids warranties and resale.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Geez , Great . Yet Another invention of Modern Science to Destroy my Eyesight and Fill the Coufers of Big Biz.... .

" Before the incandescent bulbs go out for good, it’s worth shining a light on its cause: The ban was pushed by light bulb makers eager to up-sell customers on longer-lasting and much more expensive halogen, compact fluourescent, and LED lighting. When customers balked at paying more for home lighting, General Electric, Sylvania, and Philips did what corporate behemoths always do: They turned to the government for regulation that rigs the market in their favor.

You do realize these are better, use less energy, and cost far less in the long run right? By the time you replace your graphene lightbulbs you may have saved about $250 per bulb. I would save about $5000, my parents close to $10k. Pretty much ends your post.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

General Electric, Sylvania, and Philips along with RCA, all saw the writing on the wall years ago and knew that the incandescent bulbs would be a certain thing of the past. As such, they invested billions of dollars, completely re-tooling their engineering and manufacturing facilities to come up with absolute alternatives. That cost will come down once these systems are producing commercial and residential LED and Graphene at the same rate as incandescent and flourecents were being consumed. Not to mention, being a magnitude more efficient , overall.
edit on 5-4-2015 by charlyv because: content

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

All LEDs are dimmable...

There are non-dimming versions made. It all depends on the driver.

<< 1  2   >>

join