It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TPP vs. Democracy: Leaked Draft of Secretive Trade Deal Spells Out Plan for Corporate Power Grab

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well our New Corporate Feudalism, with transnational aristocacy is well on the way to ending any semblance of 'people power' that remains. I guess representative democray wasn't profitable enough for the very few. More secret tribunals, corporate tribunals about their right to profit over the rights of citizens to decide the laws of their own land.

Responding to the leak, Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch, declared: "With the veil of secrecy ripped back, finally everyone can see for themselves that the TPP would give multinational corporations extraordinary new powers that undermine our sovereignty, expose U.S. taxpayers to billions in new liability, and privilege foreign firms operating here with special rights not available to U.S. firms under U.S. law."

Newly leaked classified documents show that the secretive Trans-Pacific Partnership deal, if it goes through as written, will dramatically expand the power of corporations to use closed-door tribunals to challenge—and supersede—domestic laws, including environmental, labor, and public health, and other protections.

The tribunals, made infamous under NAFTA, were exposed in the "Investment Chapter" from the TPP negotiations, which was released to the public by WikiLeaks on Wednesday.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Does the USA want to become even more hated that it is now? Any environmental damage that leads to people being poisoned without any chance of getting legal compensation is just going to flare things up.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
and the MSM keeps talking about the airline crash, over and over, ad nauseam...throw in the wars in the middle east, and that's all the news for today folks...except for localized murders, robberies, and weather.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article from 2001...

Nafta's Powerful Little Secret; Obscure Tribunals Settle Disputes, but Go Too Far, Critics Say

THEIR meetings are secret. Their members are generally unknown. The decisions they reach need not be fully disclosed. Yet the way a small group of international tribunals handles disputes between investors and foreign governments has led to national laws being revoked, justice systems questioned and environmental regulations challenged. And it is all in the name of protecting the rights of foreign investors under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

It certainly can't be good.

Free trade is just that, free. Open economic systems do not have nor do they need restrictive legislation. If we are to believe that we are opening up free trade to foreign countries there is no action necessary but to rescind existing anti-competitive tariffs and obstructive regulations.

No new legislation should be required if it is truly about free trade which it clearly is not.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Here's an interesting article from 2001...

Nafta's Powerful Little Secret; Obscure Tribunals Settle Disputes, but Go Too Far, Critics Say

THEIR meetings are secret. Their members are generally unknown. The decisions they reach need not be fully disclosed. Yet the way a small group of international tribunals handles disputes between investors and foreign governments has led to national laws being revoked, justice systems questioned and environmental regulations challenged. And it is all in the name of protecting the rights of foreign investors under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

NAFTA on steroids --- thanks for the history.
edit on 28-3-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Does the USA want to become even more hated that it is now? Any environmental damage that leads to people being poisoned without any chance of getting legal compensation is just going to flare things up.

They've never been able to get compensation for 'environmental' poisoning in reality. Maybe a pay-out upon acceptance of a gag-order. Cost of doing business don't ya know.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Keep telling yourself that. But first, define free trade for me.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Unmolested voluntary human interaction.
edit on 28-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Somehow I hope they can conclude all their evil plans once for all, so we can see how all turns against them, because they will not win.

Karma might take the form of Mother Earth's wrath, God Justice or Aliens taking over before we destroy the balance of the Universe.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Somehow I hope they can conclude all their evil plans once for all, so we can see how all turns against them, because they will not win.

Karma might take the form of Mother Earth's wrath, God Justice or Aliens taking over before we destroy the balance of the Universe.

Thank you for making me laugh --- and reminding me of perspective....

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Unmolested voluntary human interaction.

Okay - basically - to be unmolested in doing what you want (regardless of everyone else) whenever, whereever, with whomever and however.

Okay anarchy and or bully rule. How is that different then the TPP?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

As long as you aren't hurting anybody, you should be free.

TPP is a complex set of rules and regulations that are supposed to govern "free" trade.

Actually free trade requires no oversight.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I don't understand why more citizens are not up in arms about the TPP and out on the streets protesting.

How can anyone be ok with the nations tax payers being on the hook for lost profits when the very ones setting and writing policy are corporate lobbyists to begin with? If the tax payers are on the hook then how does that make the ones writing policy at the government level have skin in the game?

The Multinational Corporations should be sueing not the tax payers but other corporations and the pay should come out of capital gain profits since consumers would end up paying for it any other way.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

TPP is a complex set of rules and regulations that are supposed to govern "free" trade.

Asian wage scales, lack of financial stability, non-existent environmental and regulatory control, does not amount to "free trade" with America. it is designed to make the American population as a whole, poorer monetarily, and rip apart the fabric of a civilized society.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Well, this kind of information is tragic enough. immediately triggers a part of my brain strongly linked to my heart. No choice but try to summon a higher authority. Knowing a human cause the problem, a solution can't be the same source.

Actually thank you.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Asian wage scales, lack of financial stability, non-existent environmental and regulatory control, does not amount to "free trade" with America. it is designed to make the American population as a whole, poorer monetarily, and rip apart the fabric of a civilized society.

Being against free trade is a perfectly reasonable position to hold. Isolationism and protectionism are, in my opinion, detrimental (or more specifically less beneficial than an open economy).

I am merely pointing out that free trade is most certainly not a component of these convoluted FTAs.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The paradigm bears mentioning.

By whose reasoning is it considered that the economies of the world should be 'managed' by a non-governmental entity, manned by the best experts big banks can gather? The agencies, most notably non-elected, are gobbling up the planet... treaties such as the "TPP" consolidate the economic potentials of all 'partners' with the implied oversight of some collective council of wizened elder experts perhaps, and laudable heroes as well, no doubt.

Have we not yet received the thunderbolt revelation that economies are not free when they are managed? And it seems even more foolish to expect they can be managed to be "more free." I recall Orwell's line : "... some are more equal than others." and I wonder at how they made us believe their market was ever free.

The utopian ideal of a free market was a construct developed by those drooling over the prospect of printing the paper money to make it so. It was then, and is now, based on fictional debt created at the whim of those who decide not only interest rates but how much of their 'currency' gets to circulate.

This is a sideways power grab by the financial cartel to ensure they can economically strangle anyone, at anytime - and then justify there own existence saying only they can make sure it wont ever happen again.... sound familiar?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 03pmx03pmSat, 28 Mar 2015 20:36:02 -050002 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

TPP is little to do with trade and mostly to do with corporate profit and proliferation!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join