It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite "random" book?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Twilight series! Best books EVER!

Yes, I am kidding but couldn't resist.

Best book I ever read was the Bible!

yep, kidding again.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheUsersName

I'm a lover of the classics, and it's a toss up for me between To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men for my favourite of all time.

Crime and Punishment is a pretty substantial read!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

You know, I didn't ever read another of Silverbergs books, which is silly really. Now I have to find some!

Another random series that I loved was Orson Scott Cards' Alvin Maker series. Amazing. It was introduced to me by a, there's no polite way to say this, trio of crackhead neighbours I had in a seedy apartment building in Kitchener, Ontario.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I'm a big fan of the bizarre, I'm going to check out Blueprints as soon as I can. Hopefully I'll remember to message you about it.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Are there actually Pokemon in this series? Sounds like a hilarious premise.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14

Oh, Rules for Radicals! I love that book. I think everyone should read this.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I like Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. They are the very definition of a random book. They have trivia, the history behind things like photography, glass making, really whatever. The entries are divided between short, medium, long, and extra long. There are several of them. Each one is different and covers different stuff. Being the fan of random trivia and facts that I am, it really entertains me. If you haven't read any, you should.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I really enjoy Chuck Palahniuk as well. If you enjoy his works, you might like "the other Chuck", Chuck Klosterman.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan as well, my favourites are Salems Lot and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. My mother always read Kings novels, and I thought I'd take one to school in grade 2 for a book report. The teacher, and my mother, we're not happy. My mother saved the book report, on which the teacher wrote, "Brandi has an interesting perspective on the writings of Mr.King."

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I like bathroom readers, too. And then I think about how many people read these with one hand while wiping with the other. Unfortunately I never think about it until after I leave the bathroom.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

For me that would be Tim Robbins. "Another roadside attraction."

I ran out of reading material one summer. So I went to look at my moms hippie books. How could I not be interested when I read this opening line.

"The magician's underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami."

It ended up opening me to a whole different form of literature. The next book I read was fear and loathing in Las Vegas again from her bookshelf, then the electric Kool-Aid acid test.

When you start down that path of hilarity it just sticks with you.

URL: able2know.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I might have to read some Tim Robbins.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
A book called like a flowing river by paulo Coelho. .

A book of shirt stories and articles written by the author which can be picked up and flicked to any page and read..
has some excellent shorts with profound messages.

And if your anything like me a great book to keep in the loo (bathroom/toilet) for this reason

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As I was an English Major, I read almost anything - any genre. I had to erase books from my kindle so I could get more and it has nothing on it but books. Anyway - one "book" my professors in college always hated covering was The Second Coming by Yeats. I don't understand the hate for it but I have always loved that poem. Poetry was never the top of my list for reading but I have owned a copy of it since my days in College.

It is my "random" book because the way my first professor described it, I was sure it was going to be a horrible piece written in a way that showed the author's sense of moral superiority. I am glad it was introduced and I read it because it turned me on to other, disliked and misunderstood pieces like T.S. Eliot - The Wasteland and other modernist poetry.

Thanks for making me realize there was a Literature forum!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Haha, why is it so enjoyable to read in the bathroom? I'll find myself still in there long after "the business" is done.

Paul Cohello is certainly a unique writer, I enjoyed The Alchemist, but haven't read any other titles. I will now.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Blinkydoo

I've always found poetry difficult. I took an online course that covered Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, and I found those poems enjoyable. I didn't branch out much from that.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

If not you might have seen one of his books made into a movie. " Even cowgirls get the blues"

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I haven't, I'll check it out if it was great.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I would suggest you check out the book I mentioned first. It will turn you on to hippie psychedelic literature.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: greencmp

Are there actually Pokemon in this series? Sounds like a hilarious premise.

Not exactly but, the "furies" are elemental spirits that are symbiotic elemental (water, air, earth, metal, wood, etc.) critters/spirits which "crafters" and can direct, draw energy from and share sensory information with among other things.

I was expecting it to be good but funny but, it is actually pretty intense. I am surprised how good it is.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Oh gosh..."River God", by Wilbur Smith. If anyone likes/loves Egyptian themed books that contain everything from soup to nuts (so to speak) this one is for you. Smith says he based his novel on a translation from scrolls found in sealed alabaster vases that were hidden in a tomb. It's kind of wordy, but it paints a marvelous panorama you can easily imagine yourself in as you read. I began to follow Smith's works and found myself totally enthralled by them. I could gush on and on about his writings, but try it, you'll love them!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join