It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Mason students invent sound-based fire extinguisher...game changer...very cool!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well this is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Talk about putting a fire out quickly and with no mess, other than what may have burned that is. Could be a lot of uses for this depending on how small they can get the package and whatnot....I could even see this incorporated into cars in case of engine fire and having it automatically work through the cars sound system in some way.

Would really make for an interesting install in a building if they could be in-wall mounted type of devices that would automatically suppress a fire.

Cool stuff!

Two engineering students at George Mason University have created a potentially revolutionary fire extinguisher that uses sound to fight blazes.

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/27/bass-battles-blaze-george-mason-students-invent-sound-based-fire-extinguisher/?intcmp=latestnews]Source[/u rl]
edit on 3/27/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wowowowowow!!!

Massive S&F VC.

Patent Patent Patent!

Forest Fires, Stove Tops etc great ideas.

Amazing!

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thats really cool, and so obvious now that I think about it, Sound is vibrating and disrupting the air flow that is feeding the fire.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Wowowowowow!!!

Massive S&F VC.

Patent Patent Patent!

Amazing!

Yeah....I would hope they started the patent quickly after finding it worked.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Or one could use water...

Just joshing... this way is less messy, but I wonder how it would fair against a real big blaze? Could a bunch of firemen hum at the correct frequency ...maybe aided with kazoos?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not sure why the "source" link is not working. It seems it is putting an extra space in when I check the edit, but will not let me take it out. Some kind of glitch in the source link button today.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Or one could use water...

Just joshing... this way is less messy, but I wonder how it would fair against a real big blaze? Could a bunch of firemen hum at the correct frequency ...maybe aided with kazoos?

Water won't do much good with certain substances....gas, grease, etc.....

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think it would work well on chemical fires better than conventional means, but I have my doubts about forest fires or any fire with a solid fuel source that has already had time to burn and create embers. It could probably work in conjunction well with chemical fire retardants though.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
Thats really cool, and so obvious now that I think about it, Sound is vibrating and disrupting the air flow that is feeding the fire.

Kinda hard to believe it was that simple.....I can imagine it has to be directed sound waves, so the device to put out a large fire would have to be either large itself, or have multiples of the same device in the same area.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I think it would work well on chemical fires better than conventional means, but I have my doubts about forest fires or any fire with a solid fuel source that has already had time to burn and create embers. It could probably work in conjunction well with chemical fire retardants though.

Yeah, thinking about that, the embers would likely stay hot and reignite. Possibly this combined with a water source for something like forest fires. Take out the initial flames with sound and mist the embers at the same time.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here's the link fixed
source

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It doesn't really explain how it works though.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Here's the link fixed
source

Thanks!

And yeah, I don't think they will explain the entire principle behind their device until a patent is in place.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting. I'd like to see more examples of it in use, particularly with larger fires and in different settings. And since it seems to be electric powered, I'd guess they can make a portable version w/a large battery or that is gasoline powered. But definitely interesting.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Wowowowowow!!!

Massive S&F VC.

Patent Patent Patent!

Amazing!

Yeah....I would hope they started the patent quickly after finding it worked.

First of all, this is great and has broad array of applications.

This is a pretty good example of creativity and technological refinement/integration at work.

Now, forgive the political glasses but, I think this presents a great case for the patent/no patent debate.

With respect to a patent, who should receive it? The students or the university?

Once patented, could anyone else attempt to make a similar device, perhaps operating at a different frequency or a different shape?

Would receiving a patent make further inventions more likely from those students or that university?

The technique might be attempted without a purpose built device, would that be a violation of the patent? At what point is the specific device distinguishable from the idea that underlies its operation?

I just figured I would throw this out there as it is an unusually good candidate for the debate.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
this should work on All fires.
it makes the burning gas to turbulent to reignite.
AND the turbulent wind cools it.
so it can not reignite wood or other stuff.

and All it is, is a subwoofer.
I Must try this out!!! got 1000w
um.. got insurances so ok!
try it on charcoal grill.
if it puts that out, it will put any thing out.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It looks like a vortex cannon that can repeat indefinitely.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Somewhere on these boards (a long time ago) I made a post where I mentioned that if I turned down my blow lamp until only a small flame remained I could extinguish it with a single loud clap of the hands, even from 20 feet away!
I wonder if those guys read ats

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
That's very cool but is it practical? I've seen cool things b4 but the devil is always in the details with these things.

But damn this is what it's all about. Is cool. Like magnetic refrigerators cool.

Ya, magnetic refrigerators(!):
en.wikipedia.org - Magnetic refrigeration...

Commercial development

Research and a demonstration proof of concept in 2001 succeeded in applying commercial-grade materials and permanent magnets at room temperatures to construct a magnetocaloric refrigerator[17]

On August 20, 2007, the Risø National Laboratory (Denmark) at the Technical University of Denmark, claimed to have reached a milestone in their magnetic cooling research when they reported a temperature span of 8.7 K.[18] They hope to introduce the first commercial applications of the technology by 2010.

As of 2013 this technology had proven commercially viable only for ultra-low temperature cryogenic applications available for decades. Magnetocaloric refrigeration systems are composed of pumps, motors, secondary fluids, heat exchangers of different types, magnets and magnetic materials. These processes are greatly affected by irreversibilities and should be adequately considered. At year-end, Cooltech Applications[19] announced that its first commercial refrigeration equipment would enter the market in 2014.

edit on 27-3-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Awww maaaan... I wanted to hear what it sounds like. Today is just full of disappointment lol...

Still... SnF'nF!
edit on 3/29/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join