It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The father of all humans lived 239,000 years ago

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I just stumbled across this and thought I would share. The Human genome studies coming out as of late are fascinating and this is no exception. Here's a snippet:

By sequencing the genomes of 2,636 Icelanders — the largest set ever obtained from a single population — researchers were able to identify that genetic mutations play a role in everything from Alzheimer’s disease to liver disease. The Icelandic data also suggest that humanity’s most recent common male ancestor, the "father" of us all, would have lived between 174,000 and 321,000 years ago.

Not understanding how this whole DNA sequencing really works, I cannot say I understand how the Icelandic population is representative of all of our ancestors, but I guess "the most recent common ancestor" applies to "everyone"

Article:www.theverge.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I just stumbled across this and thought I would share. The Human genome studies coming out as of late are fascinating and this is no exception. Here's a snippet:

By sequencing the genomes of 2,636 Icelanders — the largest set ever obtained from a single population — researchers were able to identify that genetic mutations play a role in everything from Alzheimer’s disease to liver disease. The Icelandic data also suggest that humanity’s most recent common male ancestor, the "father" of us all, would have lived between 174,000 and 321,000 years ago.

Not understanding how this whole DNA sequencing really works, I cannot say I understand how the Icelandic population is representative of all of our ancestors, but I guess "the most recent common ancestor" applies to "everyone"

Article:www.theverge.com...

It's been speculated for a long time that Homo Sapiens originated in Central Africa 250,000 years ago. So this wouldn't conflict with that.

The only catch is that Homo Sapiens are only the latest version of Hominids (aka humans). So if we count other hominids like Neanderthals, we go back at least 2 million years. So usually they refer to Homo Sapiens as "modern humans".

I'm not saying any of this to dispute the article or your post. Just pointing out that some may argue with you about saying "humans" go back this many years ago.

Nice info though. I love reading about the discoveries involving our origins. I've been telling everyone that we're literally all cousins, and stuff like this just reinforces that belief.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Now, the people of Northern Europe are not the same as the people from Africa. The genetics is way different because of the cold weather package which makes their dietary needs different. These changes in gene expression are important, trying to figure a common ancestor for all people by using just Icelandic people can not be used to find the earliest relative of all people. Now, would this similarity be related to the common other hominid that we are blended with or modern humans?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't believe it.
Another study will eventually come out and contradict this one, and another... And so on.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
52. What is the cause of the physical and moral differences that distinguish the various races of men upon the earth?

"Climate, modes of life, and social habits. The same differences would be produced in the case of two children of the same mother, if brought up far from one another, and surrounded by different influences and conditions; for the children thus diversely brought up would present no moral resemblance to each other."

53. Did the human race come into existence on various points of the globe?

"Yes, and at various epochs; and this is one of the causes of the diversity of human races. The people of the primitive periods, being dispersed abroad in different climates, and forming alliances with those of other countries than their own, gave rise perpetually to new types of humanity."

- Allan Kardec Spirits Book

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

There have been humanoid fossils found that are far older than 239,000 years.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Right, I am not disputing the age myself, I am solely sharing this article and asking the question as I too am familiar with the notion of our ancestors going back more than 2 million years. What I found interesting, is that they are making this claim, which with my limited back ground in genetics I can't readily dispute and am looking for a more expert understanding of the article.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Avicenne

I tend to agree with you personally, I can point to any number of theories, but again, I was hoping someone could better explain their statement using their science as an explanation...we have some pretty well informed folks here.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Buddy even geneticists have a limited understanding regarding the origins of our species, so no harm no foul there. Personalty i think Humanity has been around for far longer than we are lead to believe.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Now, the people of Northern Europe are not the same as the people from Africa. The genetics is way different because of the cold weather package which makes their dietary needs different. These changes in gene expression are important, trying to figure a common ancestor for all people by using just Icelandic people can not be used to find the earliest relative of all people. Now, would this similarity be related to the common other hominid that we are blended with or modern humans?

AHEM. There are no different BIOLOGICAL RACES EXCEPT ONE. Thats HOMO SAPIENS. Now there are different ETHNICITIES but not DIFFERENT BIOLOGICAL RACES. Also where you live influences genetic changes and skin tonal changes and even body changes.

People need to just accept that we are all at base DNA brothers and sisters,but until its not used as a method of control it will not happen.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh I agree entirely on that front

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I have a question regarding RH factor and the species question. Does anyone have an explanation as to the fact that Negative RH doesnt have Rhesus monkey DNA and positive RH factor does? It seems theres a pretty big unanswered question there. Not refuting what you said, but your statement reminded me of that question that popped into my head during the initial Ebola scare.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There is a theory that all western Europeans sprang from just eight females, as shown in the female Mitochondrial DNA sequence, or RNA sequence, whichever, anyway, just what I read some time ago, something's just seem to stick in this old noggin.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I have a question regarding RH factor and the species question. Does anyone have an explanation as to the fact that Negative RH doesnt have Rhesus monkey DNA and positive RH factor does? It seems theres a pretty big unanswered question there. Not refuting what you said, but your statement reminded me of that question that popped into my head during the initial Ebola scare.

different enviroments subtly change dna but not enough to create a seperate race. Mutation can change factors some too.
DNA is tricky stuff. About the monkey dna someone prolly caught a virus from screwing a monkey that introduced a rh factor when it mutated in said host. And it was a benificial mutation apparently.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

There have been humanoid fossils found that are far older than 239,000 years.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

That's not what is being postulated here.

This "father of all humans" is NOT supposed to be the first male human, he is supposed to be the common ancestor of all humans alive today. 239,000 years ago, there may have been other humans who had fathers other than this guy...

...HOWEVER, the lineage of people that moved out of Africa and eventually migrated all over the globe can be traced back to this one person. Other lineages existed with other fathers, but they either died out, or were absorbed by this lineage.

edit on 3/27/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Which begs the question, what was his common ancestor? I see what you mean all the same, i suppose we must draw a line somewhere.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Nice info though. I love reading about the discoveries involving our origins. I've been telling everyone that we're literally all cousins, and stuff like this just reinforces that belief.

Discovery? Of what exactly? Another guesstimate with a vague timeline of more vague answers with vague information? Um...It is between 1 and 500,000 years old! Believe me, I am telling you!!! Some people believe all kinds of garbage spoon fed into their brains....

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Excellent clarification thank you

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I beg to differ, it is quite a "discovery" to (using our present understanding) find our most ancient common ancestor don't you think? Using condemnations of others interest in an actual discovery (no matter how minimal in the grand scheme) certainly doesnt deserve derision. Of course so many people feel so much better about themselves casting disparaging comments about others sadly.

Too bad you couldn't find any interest in this new information.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

According to my DNA, I have some neanderthal in me. The typical amount that is in most Finns.

I ran the gene app for neanderthal markers.

edit on 27-3-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join