It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Path of the August 21, 2017 total eclipse, a United States event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I didn't know how readily available the August 21, 2017 eclipse will be in the United States, and didn't realize that the U.S. is the only large land mass it can be seen from. An overnight trip may make it accessible to millions of people. Here is the path:

eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The eclipse occurs on a Monday. Hotels, motels, etc. will be booked a year ahead or so, and travel plans on highways should be made so people can get there a few days ahead of time (I bet tour groups, throughout North America and the world, will pounce on this event). August should be semi-clear weather along much or most of the path. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for many people, so make plans to experience it early (and often).

Here is the Wikipedia page about the eclipse:
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 26-3-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Wow that cuts quite a swath. Can't wait.

👣

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

The key is to be right in the middle of the eclipse path with clear skies. I may go a few days ahead of time (after ascertaining the weather) and hope for the best. We should get up some weather maps for a typical August 21.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

We just had one here a few days ago, but I couldn't see a thing because it was so cloudy. What could have been a once in a lifetime, awe-inspiring event ruined by a bit of drizzle. Story of my life.

Hope you get a better view.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Looks like I could drive for a couple of hours to see the greatest part of the eclipse. More than likely I will forget about it and when it does happen it will be rainy that day.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

In the PNW, August is typically the clearest Month. East of the cascades is the best choice if clouds decide to roll in. The Cascades act like a wall for the clouds.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I could've overlooked it, but I did not see a time at the link.
It would be good to know a general start time on the west coast, or in each time zone.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: collietta
I could've overlooked it, but I did not see a time at the link.
It would be good to know a general start time on the west coast, or in each time zone.

Hi. Yes, the link has an interactive map where you ping the spot where you think is best for you and the time and duration of the eclipse is shown.

In the middle of Oregon it starts at 17:20 UTC

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Looks like I could drive for a couple of hours to see the greatest part of the eclipse. More than likely I will forget about it and when it does happen it will be rainy that day.

When the time comes I'd get somewhere you want to see it from at least a day ahead of time. Could be tens of thousands of cars on the highways. Then again, I remember many years ago, when a full eclipse occurred over Seattle, I was watching it on television and saw one of the saddest sights I've ever seen. There it was, in full eclipse, night mode, and you could see on the tv dozens if not hundreds of cars still driving on the expressway, with their lights on. The people in the cars didn't even pull over to the side, or plan ahead to be somewhere, all most of them cared about at that point was putting their lights on and driving to their next destination. There is no way I can ever understand that.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Once in a lifetime? Balderdash (I've never said or wrote that word before)! Please make careful and planned arrangements to be in the maximum pathway in the U.S. on August 21, 2017. See you there!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Cool! It will go right over my head! No travel plans needed

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Sweet! I live right where it ought to go overhead. No travel necessary assuming I'm still here in two years.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

Be sure you're looking at the diagram correctly, the path of the full and long-lasting eclipse is the smaller path down the middle of the larger path. That's where the show opens. Then we must rely on the weather bureau to give accurate predictions of cloud cover, and plan to drive a hundred miles or so upline if it has more of a chance of totally clear skies at the time of the eclipse. Right in the middle, great, that's where the four-aces will be dealt.

EDIT: Also we should also be in a semi-dark area to begin with. In the middle of a city the streetlights will go on automatically when it gets too dark (I think) and the lights of home and businesses will not be beneficial if we want the full experience. Out in the country somewhere, or atop a mountain, or way out in the forest. Aye.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Very good thread Aleister, I'm 20mins away from cleavelend Tenn so yes this eclipse will be available for a lot of folks. 🌟 and flag.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Awesome post.

Hopefully, you will find me in Bulls Bay.

Come share a beer.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

Awesome post.

Hopefully, you will find me in Bulls Bay.

Come share a beer.

Thanks, and thanks for the invite. Most likely won't be near there but you never know. In the meantime, to get us started....

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Cool.That is if the weather cooperates and I still live in the same place. The center of the eclipse is within a twenty minute drive from where I live.
Thanks for the thread.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Cool, it looks like it goes thru the middle of the Francis Marion National Forest in South Carolina. No city lights, no crowds. I can only hope to still be on this planet and sunny skies.

I always remember the total eclipse in 1969 in Virginia whenever I hear the song - Bridge Over Troubled Waters - which was on the radio when it reached totality.
edit on 27-3-2015 by AtypicalJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AtypicalJ

No crowds...until now. That sounds like a great place to view the eclipse (but make sure your estimates of where it will pass are correct, that's a big map with a small area of maximum totality.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
August 24, 2015

Here's a news media update on the 2017 "Great American" total eclipse.

Link: www.foxnews.com...

I remember seeing a partial eclipse as a young lad in the late 1960's. Was awesome. I imagine that all the Y2K dooms day people are starting to get their warning signs painted for 2017, LOL.

-cwm

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join