It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

not really no.

I don't see this law becoming permanent and expect it to be shot down based on Federal court rulings in other states / districts.

My other question would be how the business owners would know if a person is LBGT or not. Are they going to ask?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: msallo
a reply to: kevinp2300

i dont get why gays are so hell bent on supporting businesses that dont like them

just move on..grow a pair

People do move on.
As for the "grow a pair", have you not seen the thousands of Americans who actively participate in protests against such bigots? It happens every day in the US, and these people have "big pairs", standing up against the religious nutters in their states even when those religious nutters are threatening to firebomb other religious groups for being accepting.

Thankfully, LGBT people have a hell of a lot of allies, and a hell of a lot of big and powerful ones, like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, eBay, and hundreds of others who have all signed a document demanding equality and an end to this religious nonsense.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I, for one, would love to see how the same people who support this bill will react if a Muslim/Jewish business decides to use this act for their benefit.

No gays, No pork..etc.

Would they still be cheering this bill on or will they have issues with it. I am gonna say the latter...after all the right believes in rights..but only for certain groups or people.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
As usual it is the religious right folk who have no issue with hate being enforced in businesses.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

not really no.

I don't see this law becoming permanent and expect it to be shot down based on Federal court rulings in other states / districts.

My other question would be how the business owners would know if a person is LBGT or not. Are they going to ask?

"Embrace the Hate!!" That will have to be the new slogan for everyone.

The Religious Right feels they don't have to listen to the law though as long as they have deeply held religious values and that trumps all man's laws.

It will be hard to know at first. Perhaps we can all wear arm bands identifying what groups we belong to. You know like the Nazi style red arm bands. Or better yet we can wear sashes with badges of hate on them like the scouts do. I can't wait to earn my "poor, white, straight, male, agnostic" badges so I can be properly identified and hated appropriately.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Indiana will soon feel the economic pinch this BS law will bring about. Plus states get plenty of federal grants and when those dry up in Indiana the citizens will demand a repeal as soon as the Highway funds evaporate. I'm not sure, but non compliance of federal laws might negate grant applications.
edit on 26-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nikkib0421

I am a fellow hoosier and unfortunately this is a manifestation of the way a lot of ppl think in our state. However if a lot of the homophobic people would hang out with gay people, they would realize that they are fairly normal folk. My point is their ignorance comes from fear of the unknown. Same with racists. Hopefully this backlash will cause people to rethink their stance. Im not as pissed as some ppl however i feel like pence is an idiot as well as our congress.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

It really is impressive to pass a hate bill with no real way to enforce it.

Classic American political stupidity.

It ranks up there with the religious nuts wanting to replace law with religious doctrine. How exactly would someone know you are coveting your neighbors wife and if confronted about it how would they know if you are bearing false witness?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

"I can't wait to earn my "poor, white, straight, male, agnostic" badges", I hope we get a starfleet badge

edit on 26-3-2015 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I am curious if these 2 issues are linked -

The religious bill

and

Indiana declares state of emergency for HIV epidemic

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Every so often someone gets in a position of power that simply doesn't understand right from wrong which is why we have people who do understand those concepts in other positions of power that can right their wrongs.

This is why we have supreme courts.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Governor pence did mention how he approved of an immediate needle exchange program, however i doubt there is much of a correlation to the bill.
edit on 26-3-2015 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I am curious if these 2 issues are linked -

The religious bill

and

Indiana declares state of emergency for HIV epidemic

I'd say, due to its timing, it's a political Counter Balance.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
By what method will they identify a "member of the LGBT community"?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

That is an interesting point. If i go out to lunch with a male friend, could we be kicked out lol?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

edit on 3/27/2015 by ~Lucidity because: pic too big

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

The problem now is that the SCOTUS doesn't seem to know how to weigh things properly against the constitution anymore, so even having reliance on them to have proper rulings isn't a good habit to develop.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Lots of major businesses are boycotting.

Apparently it will more than be made up for by the influx of Christian bakers and florists...and won't that be fabulous?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Annee
Lots of major businesses are boycotting.

Apparently it will more than be made up for by the influx of Christian bakers and florists...and won't that be fabulous?

They can all get together and have a bake sell when the state becomes bankrupt.

I can hope

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

a reply to: kevinp2300

yeah this wont stand constitutional muster.

Waste of time and political capital.

Having yet to read the legislation and law, I ask you [and Kali], what do you think will be held unconstitutional? If challenged, it forces the court to approve of forced State mandates to engage in a private contract and/or association.

Its a lose-lose situation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join