It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New homeowner selling house because he can’t get Comcast Internet FCC , and FTC oversight worthle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: truthseeker84

Is there a practical work-a-round?

I live in a rural area that is a tiny unincorporated pocket. It is crazy, but all around us they are getting 3G and 4G signals, but it is like you cross an invisible line, and your call is dropped, and no signal can be found.

We laughingly call our dead spot the Twilight Zone. It isn't always just the cell or internet service. I swear, it is even the weather. It can be pouring rain to almost zero visibility, cross the invisible line, and the sun is shining and the dirt road is dry as a bone. You can actually get out the car and stand with rain pouring into one hand and nothing in the other. Of course it sometimes the other way around. We get the rain and they don't.

Weird? Right?

I used to live in a place where you had no cell service inside the building and if you wanted to make a call, you had to go OUTSIDE. Yeah, that was fun! In the middle of winter snowstorms, I'm not going outside to make a call, and my family just stopped calling me outright because their attitude was "why bother she can't hear us anyway" I had to install a texting app on my Kindle for them to text me, and a phone app on my computer to call them without having to go outside to do it. Major pain in the butt, but it worked. When I moved, first thing my dad asked, "Does your cell phone work there?" LOL YES! LOL

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Yea... Chart is definitely misleading. Plugging in my mothers address tells me Verizon offers 10-25 M/bit speeds when the only thing they offer is 3 M/bit.

Looking up my own homes address doesn't even show my provider (MetroCast) and my 75 M/bit fiber.

Definitely a smell of rotting ocean dwelling denizens...

Probably mean cellular service.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Verizon wanted almost $80/month, Comcast wanted $60, which was more affordable for me.

I've got Comcast and Verizon wired in my house, but I went with Verizon because it's not Comcast and I get FiOS in my area.

I only have internet. When Verizon quoted me the speed I wanted, I told the rep that it was too much, and he instantly dropped it from like $90 a month to $60 without dropping the speed after applying a coupon he "just remembered". After acting butthurt about having to wait for over a week after the day I planned to be fully moved, the guy also gave me a number to call to try and bump up the install time. Got it installed 2 days after I moved instead of 10. I was going to do a self install since everything was already set up, but there were a few issues.

I'm betting if you called Verizon they would meet and maybe beat the price Comcast is charging you. They have more wiggle room than they let on.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Direct TV cancelled my bundle with century link and NEVER TOLD me, then began runniing a seperate bill now they are threatening to disco me.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Anyafaj

Verizon wanted almost $80/month, Comcast wanted $60, which was more affordable for me.

I've got Comcast and Verizon wired in my house, but I went with Verizon because it's not Comcast and I get FiOS in my area.

I only have internet. When Verizon quoted me the speed I wanted, I told the rep that it was too much, and he instantly dropped it from like $90 a month to $60 without dropping the speed after applying a coupon he "just remembered". After acting butthurt about having to wait for over a week after the day I planned to be fully moved, the guy also gave me a number to call to try and bump up the install time. Got it installed 2 days after I moved instead of 10. I was going to do a self install since everything was already set up, but there were a few issues.

I'm betting if you called Verizon they would meet and maybe beat the price Comcast is charging you. They have more wiggle room than they let on.

I'll have to check that out because Comcast was running a special where they gave you a $100 debit card while installing Internet that allowed you to have preprogrammed downloaded shows. When I went to get the deal, all they did was install regular internet, not the special, no debit card, nothing. I called later to find out what happened, they said I should have mentioned it before I had the install done. I said I did. The customer service rep put me on hold, said they'd try to see if they could fix it, then gave me a "whoops, too late now." story. Whatever. I used to have Time Warner I NEVER had a problem with them. Anytime I had the slightest issue, even power going out, we were given free service where I was. If they messed up our bill, they'd give us free service according to the amount messed up on the bill. Same as power outages, etc... There were times in which, they would give you free HBO, or a free cable box for a separate room. Most places were complaining about them. Price wise they were high, but customer service wise, they were good.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Direct TV cancelled my bundle with century link and NEVER TOLD me, then began runniing a seperate bill now they are threatening to disco me.

I had Direct TV through my last landlord, thankfully he had to deal with their headache, not me. Though they were a MAJOR headache. Worse was his internet server. (All utilities were included in rent.) Dang thing was out almost every other day! Worse was when he ran over the dang wire with his stinking lawnowner! I was out of internet for 3 weeks before the buffoon figured out he ran it over and that's why I was getting no internet! Then he messed up the stupid satellite link so I had no TV AND no internet, so nothing to do but stare at walls. LOL So glad I'm out of that idiotic place. At least this landlord isn't a buffoon.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Not to worry apperently comcast is going to fix their issues with hiring 40 new social media workers.

Now Comcast is taking its efforts to fix its customer relations a step further by hiring 40 workers for its social media team. These new hires will join an existing 20-person group in providing “help with everything from scheduling appointments to troubleshooting Internet problems and setting up DVRs,
time.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

just wait til 2018 when 5G wireless comes out. Its pretty much fiber speeds wirelessly and should change the game

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In the UK I have lived in 5 places before this one.
And all of them had phone internet Only!
And I would pay two times as much as I would for Cable internet.
It made me so mad!
And they kept saying on the news that they would bring cable to places in the country side.
I bet we have cable to only 75% of homes around the city’s.
Working class dont get it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dominicus

I got 4g right now and the speeds are pretty good and contemplated cancelling comcast but the Wireless Oligopoly isn't any better and they put ridiculous data caps that I would eat up in a day.

However, Google is poking their nose on the Wireless spectrum so maybe we will get lucky ?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Yeah, sorry to hear that but not surprised the telecom, banking and , energy Oligopoly are fairly common around the world.

Interesting all 3 industries can directly control what the consumers sees,hears , spends, and uses to get around.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

yeah, the caps are ridiculous. There are some hacker guides floating around on how to get around caps, but the legalitiy is questionable. We need google wireless at 5g with no caps, that would change everything

top topics

<< 1   >>

join