It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARK Act Blocks States From Mandating GMO Labeling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

“More than 90 percent of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, believe foods made with GMOs should be labeled,” said Scott Faber, senior vice president of government affairs for EWG. “Consumers in 64 countries already have the right to know if their food contains GMOs. Supporters of this bill are trying to keep this basic information from their constituents.”

The bill – dubbed by its critics the Deny Americans the Right-to-Know or DARK Act -- would overturn labeling laws enacted in Vermont, Connecticut and Maine and prevent other states from adopting such laws. Since 2013, more than 70 labeling proposals have been introduced in 30 states.

DARK Act Blocks States From Mandating GMO Labeling

I find this so draconian. This is a reintroduction of a bill from last year that can be found here:

www.congress.gov...

Mostly co-sponsored by republicans but with a few democrats on board - all, I assume, greatly beholden to big ag (or is it big gag!).

I'm ashamed to say that CA has the most (republican) co-sponsors which makes twisted sense.

What happened to the almighty 'States Rights'??? Who knew there were so many Federalists out there???

Another quote from the piece to address the "we need GMOs to feed the world" crowd." We unarguably don't need the attendant poisions that are part and parcel to the deal.

Contrary to promises from the biotechnology industry, the widespread adoption of GMO crops has lead to a surge in herbicide usage. As weeds have grown resistant, farmers have been forced to turn to more intensely toxic chemicals that have been linked to serious health problems. Last week, the World Health Organization classified glyphosate, the active ingredient in the infamous weed killer Roundup, as a probable human carcinogen.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread! It's sad to see that bill reintroduced, but not surprising.

Glyphosate may turn out to be problematic on many levels and for many "health issues." And yet we keep pouring it all over the planet, consuming it and Monsanto rakes in ever greater profits while they buy politicians to turn a blind eye.

We are all a part of a long-term experiment in human resilience from industrial pollution, pesticides and genetic modification. I don't remember signing a release form...

- AB

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I don't have words for how angry this makes me. This makes things pretty obvious as to where the real power lay...with Corporations, not actual people. Big AG is not feeding the world, they are poisoning the world and holding it hostage at the same time.

As a Certified Organic Inspector prior to the USDA taking over I saw the effects of big ag right away as they lobbied for two petroleum distillate derived substances to make it on the register of acceptable applications. There are now 16 that I know of...what is sad, is that the majority of the Organic Farmers do not use those substances as they are transparent in what they use by "audit trail." However Big Ag found a back door through lobbying in order to compete for a piece of the organic pie, as most consumers are obviously ignorant of the finer details.

Verified Non GMO combined with Certified Orgainc seals on the front label of your product is the only way to assure yourself of the cleanliness of your food products, each supplying a piece to the over all food cleanliness puzzle. Verified Non GMO does anaysis via chromatography etc.. in order to assure the "non-presence" of a number of compounds used in pesticides, insecticides, glyphosphate etc..

People just dont get how serious these compounds are, they are nerve agents and endocrine disrupters at best...in their best form, they are still potentially deadly in heavy enough doses, but even worse they stay latent in your body with a cumulative effect in many cases as well.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Your OP reminded me of this clip by James Corbett from a few days ago .

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Here is a link to Companies and their products; who support GMO food and who sell it.

www.whydontyoutrythis.com...

Obviously those companies are the reason GMO labeling is not in effect; they don't want to lose the money.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I just had a look at the list & I'm surprised to see so many products that I see in UK supermarkets & my cupboards!!!!
I've sent the list to my Mrs. I hope she pays attention because my son gobbles up all the junk food you can throw at him ( & I help him sometimes).
Thanks for the useful info'.
I find it disgraceful really, that the said companies ( & others) can legally poison us, our kids & many more generations to come (possibly).
And they make laws to protect the mega corps not us the comsumers???
WTF?
Don't they realise that when they finally kill us all there wont be anyone left to make money off anymore?
I find this all rather illogical really.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The main question of any bill is "Will it come out of committee, be called to the floor, and will it pass the House and Senate, then will the president sign it if passed?" At any one of those steps a bill can fail. This one has fail written all over it (literally, with crayon).

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

This bit is absolutely evil,,,infant formula indeed, get em screwed up early, geeziz gee I wonder where half of the allergies and other problems we experience today are coming from:
Enfamil Infant Formulas (Mead Johnson) -Enfamil with Iron -Enfamil Low Iron -Enfamil A.R. -Enfamil Nutramigen -Enfamil Lacto Free -Enfamil 22 -Enfamil Next step (soy and milk-based varieties) -Enfamil Pro-Soybee Isomil Infant Formulas (Abbot Labs) -Isomil Soy -Isomil Soy for Diarrhea -Similac(Abbot Labs) -Similac Lactose Free -Similac with Iron -Similac Low Iron -Similac Alimentum Source: www.whydontyoutrythis.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Genetic modification is the next big environmental disaster.

I find it odd some people are up in arms about vaccines causing autism, I wager that we will eventually discover that pesticides are playing a much bigger role than ever imagined. GMO crops allow for use of pesticide without much of a second thought.

S&F

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yes...I agree it is evil and vile. Money, power and greed is what they are into.

Supposedly the top 7 GMO crops grown are:

Corn
Soy
Cottonseed
Alfalfa
Papaya
Canola
Sugar Beets www.huffingtonpost.com...

I am just thinking that there may be a lot more crops that are GMO that we are not being told about... and perhaps too these GMO crops may have been in existence quite a while before the public actually first knew about them.

When I go food shopping I take the time to read all the ingredients...and also I mostly buy whole foods and cook them at home. If a person takes the time to read all the ingredients many, many of them used in processed food are from the list above.

edit on 2015-03-26T10:12:37-05:00amThursdayam2620153America/Chicagoam by caladonea because: add more

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The top comment under that ginormous listvwas, "wtf are we supposed to do about it?!..." It also mirrord my thoughts in that that's most of the food at the grocery store.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

FDA: War on Health Documentary by Gary Null.

We must stop these treasonous terrorists at all costs!
edit on 26-3-2015 by qwerty12345 because: 1.618

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
More foods are slated to be GMO such as apples(Okanagan Specialty FruitsFruits, inc.) and potatoes(Simplot Company) soon enough*. These mega corps(merger of two of the big ones on the way) who will likely use these GMO products don't want the labeling in fear of loss of sales. Apparently that is who wins in the end when it comes to this.

*one source
edit on 26-3-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

And people honestly don't see that we're on a Fast Track to the Pepsico Nation?

Go figure. F&S&

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Verified Non GMO combined with Certified Orgainc seals on the front label of your product is the only way to assure yourself of the cleanliness of your food products, each supplying a piece to the over all food cleanliness puzzle. Verified Non GMO does anaysis via chromatography etc.. in order to assure the "non-presence" of a number of compounds used in pesticides, insecticides, glyphosphate etc..

People just dont get how serious these compounds are, they are nerve agents and endocrine disrupters at best...in their best form, they are still potentially deadly in heavy enough doses, but even worse they stay latent in your body with a cumulative effect in many cases as well.

Unfortunately, with radiological and 'chemtrail' poisons, you can't really be sure of anything anymore.

I bought some organic celery yesterday (one of the ones to always buy organic according to the Environmental Working Group) and it was from Mexico, with the USDA seal and I found myself wondering, if it really was organic and if anyone was actually testing produce (austerity and all that don't you know).

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Your OP reminded me of this clip by James Corbett from a few days ago .

Thank you for the clip - I love James Corbett. Again - thank you.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I find it odd some people are up in arms about vaccines causing autism, I wager that we will eventually discover that pesticides are playing a much bigger role than ever imagined. GMO crops allow for use of pesticide without much of a second thought.

Everything works together - it's not "either-or." Such polarization is synthetic, and supports the "divide-and-conquer" strategy.

Fact is, we are changing the molecular foundation of our world. Anything that does so is suspect and dangerous.

imho

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The sponsor:

• Rep. Pompeo, Mike [R-KS-4]

Co-sponsors: Republican
  • Rep. Blackburn, Marsha [R-TN-7]*
  • Rep. Whitfield, Ed [R-KY-1]*
  • Rep. Stutzman, Marlin A. [R-IN-3]
  • Rep. Campbell, John [R-CA-45]
  • Rep. Cramer, Kevin [R-ND-At Large]
  • Rep. Schock, Aaron [R-IL-18]
  • Rep. Long, Billy [R-MO-7]
  • Rep. Latham, Tom [R-IA-3]
  • Rep. Cook, Paul [R-CA-8]
  • Rep. Luetkemeyer, Blaine [R-MO-3]
  • Rep. Ellmers, Renee L. [R-NC-2]
  • Rep. Rogers, Mike D. [R-AL-3]
  • Rep. Byrne, Bradley [R-AL-1]
  • Rep. Terry, Lee [R-NE-2]
  • Rep. Rokita, Todd [R-IN-4]
  • Rep. Barr, Andy [R-KY-6]
  • Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]
  • Rep. Nunes, Devin [R-CA-22]
  • Rep. Shuster, Bill [R-PA-9]
  • Rep. Valadao, David G. [R-CA-21]
  • Rep. LaMalfa, Doug [R-CA-1]
  • Rep. Crawford, Eric A. "Rick" [R-AR-1]
  • Rep. Simpson, Michael K. [R-ID-2]
  • Rep. Shimkus, John [R-IL-15]
  • Rep. Tiberi, Patrick J. [R-OH-12]
  • Rep. Gibbs, Bob [R-OH-7]
  • Rep. Wilson, Joe [R-SC-2]
  • Rep. Latta, Robert E. [R-OH-5]
  • Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]
  • Rep. Collins, Chris [R-NY-27]
  • Rep. Wagner, Ann [R-MO-2]
  • Rep. Petri, Thomas E. [R-WI-6]
  • Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]
  • Rep. Perry, Scott [R-PA-4]

Co-sponsors: Democrat
  • Rep. Butterfield, G. K. [D-NC-1]*
  • Rep. Matheson, Jim [D-UT-4]*
  • Rep. McIntyre, Mike [D-NC-7]

These are your elected officials that believe the federal government can dictate to states what can or cannot be labeled - in other words, the ones of the take from Big Ag.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
A big DUH why all the fuss.

All producers of Non GM foodstuffs merely have to have big labels on their products stating :

GM CROPS HAVE NOT BEEN USED IN THE MANUFACTURE OF THIS PRODUCT

Those who use GM foods cannot put this label on otherwise they are lying and will be open to prosecution !!!!!

See simple, you just gotta switch the brain on and fight fire with fire.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join