It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer in fatal wrong-way crash: 2 prior DUI's, 8 crashes & numerous arrests!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
www.nj.com...

Officer Pedro Abad, 27, a six-year veteran of the department, was charged with driving while intoxicated and careless driving in Roselle in January 2011, borough police confirmed. Abad was also charged with driving under the influence, DWI in a school zone, and refusal to submit to a chemical test for a crash in Rahway on Feb. 26, 2013, according to police records.

www.nydailynews.com...

Abad’s only other violation related to the accidents was for using his cell phone while driving, issued in the aftermath of an August 2012 accident in Linden.

I find it really strange that one of his fellow officers would issue him a cellphone ticket in his own town also, so that was probably a professional courtesy to cover for something more serious... another DUI possibly?

Also apparently the DUI he received in Roselle was after driving INTO a convenience store!

edit on 25-3-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
From OP article..

A city officer who crashed his car while driving the wrong way on a Staten Island highway last week, fatally injuring a fellow officer and a passenger and critically injuring another officer, had previously been charged with drunk driving in two separate incidents over the last four years and was captured on a police dash camera unable to complete a sobriety test in 2013.

Officer Pedro Abad, a six-year veteran of the department, was charged with driving while intoxicated and careless driving in Roselle in January 2011, borough police confirmed. Abad was also charged with driving under the influence, DWI in a school zone, and refusal to submit to a chemical test for a crash in Rahway on Feb. 26, 2013, according to police records.

Earlier today, NJ Advance Media reported he had lost his license as a result of a 2013 DUI.

In all, Abad, 27, was in eight accidents from September 2005 to June 2013, according to state records. He received violations in only two of those accidents, the records show.

Sounds like he has a bit of a history of drinking and driving.

I am surprised the police department overlooked all this when hiring him.

edit on 25-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

If the officers had a beef over something then the citation would make a statement. Just food for thought.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

I am shocked (somewhat) that you can even remain a police officer with a DUI or lost license or any similar violation. How did he still have his job?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

With everything coming to light about our wonderful police departments lately .......really?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

I am not at all surprised. In my county, many LEOs feel and act as though the law doesn't apply to them. Attitude is everything. And they certainly don't think of us peons as those who employ them.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Most difficult job being a cop. They are at war without looking like it. PTSD or whatchma-you callit) has its fallout, one of which is substance abuse.

I know its no excuse, just a burden to bear, like the trauma from policing.

Now get him some help.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You mean like how they "help" the average Joe by locking them in a cage/fining the f*c out of them/causing them to lose their license and/or job?

You mean THAT kind of help? Or the special "I'm a cop" help?
edit on 25-3-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Most difficult job being a cop. They are at war without looking like it. PTSD or whatchma-you callit) has its fallout, one of which is substance abuse.

Now get him some help.

The majority of my immediate family are LEO, plus many friends, yet none of them has done anything like this. Hell, my cousin was very nearly turned down for a position because of a $6 shoplifting incident when she was 16yrs old. That was 25years ago though.... I guess times have changed

The guy seems to be typical of a lot of the younger generation and especially a lot of younger cops: a party animal who never grew up and now takes massive advantage of a privileged position.

I blame the fellow cops who enabled him just as much also.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Or the special "I'm a cop" help?

Yah.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The guy seems to be typical of a lot of the younger generation and especially a lot of younger cops: a party animal who never grew up and now takes massive advantage of a privileged position.

Although I don't have his history, I doubt he was an alcoholic when he became an officer.

People don't realize that even good cops are subjected to a lot of job associated trauma. You must be aware because of your family that LEO regular duties include showing up at horrific auto wrecks and other murder and fire where injury and death are common place. That takes its own toll on ones psyche. Especially if you are a good person.

I'm the first to bash LEO for going overboard and everyone knows that, but I also understand and empathize where its due. They may have tried to cover for this one for as long as possible, after all he's not gunning people down in the street, is he? His record isn't shoot em up criminal intent, its accidents.

Big difference.
edit on 25-3-2015 by intrptr because: bb code and spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

From OP article..

I'm not surprised in the least... usually they wind up just getting bounced to a neighboring department at worst... I had a buddy that had three... what would have been his fourth wound up costing him his life instead...

Pretty much every cop I know has had one DUI at the very least and to be entirely honest... if that was the worst they were doing we'd all be far better off...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Although I don't have his history, I doubt he was an alcoholic when he became an officer.

People don't realize that even good cops are subjected to a lot of job associated trauma. You must be aware because of your family that LEO regular duties include showing up at horrific auto wrecks and other murder and fire where injury and death are common place. That takes its own toll on ones psyche. Especially if you are a good person.

I'm the first to bash LEO for going overboard and everyone knows that, but I also understand and empathize where its due. They may have tried to cover for this one for as long as possible, after all he's not gunning people down in the street, is he? His record isn't shoot em up criminal intent, its accidents.

Big difference.

There again... I know of one "recent hire" that's been a diehard alcoholic for years... and seriously... if you can't handle the job you shouldn't be doing it... period...

Lowering the bar for people that should be setting it higher does nothing but lead to an ends that none of us want to be a part of...

edit on 25-3-2015 by SwissMarked because: Correcting "autocorrect"...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SwissMarked

There again... I know of one "recent hire" that's been a diehard alcoholic for years…

This threads not about him.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

a reply to: SwissMarked

There again... I know of one "recent hire" that's been a diehard alcoholic for years…

This threads not about him.

No you're right... it's about a couple other low IQ alcoholics that weren't worthy of being an authority figure that murdered someone because their union ensured they didn't lose their jobs the first time they were busted for driving under the influence... I'm sure "new hire" will get his own thread at some point though... I'll be sure to post it when he's in a similar boat...

Any way you slice it this guy had two DUI's within the last four years... his second one was a little over two years ago... generally speaking for a "normal person" they wouldn't even be finishing up their probation for the charge at this point... wouldn't have a driver's license to start with... and when they get it back their vehicle would have to have an interlock system for at least a year... but evidently none of that applies when you've got a shiny little badge...
edit on 25-3-2015 by SwissMarked because: foiled by "autocorrect" yet again...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Now get him some help.

I agree the guy needs help, but not the sort of help he was getting from his own police force, they were obviously perpetuating any problems there...officially, nothing on his record if nobody charges him with anything, nor does he need to report to his admin for the same reason. The result is that he is likely in really big trouble now, two people in the car are dead so far, and one of those was another policeman. That's going to give any workshop union a lot to think about, and this is just one case, never mind all the corruptivity around this police force's protocols.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

I am shocked (somewhat) that you can even remain a police officer with a DUI or lost license or any similar violation. How did he still have his job?

Cop unions.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join