It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 year old girl attempts to poison mom for taking away her iphone

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Well, I've stated multiple times that I put the blame more on the parenting than the child herself, so I guess you must have missed that:

Of course I blame the mother and not the technology. Technology itself is completely harmless. It's what people choose to do with it that matters. In this case, the 12 year old was probably accustomed to having an iphone for however many years.

Maybe if her mother was parenting her instead of letting the iphone do it for her, her MOTHER could have found her the help she needed?

So rather than pretend like children being allowed unmonitored access to the internet from a young age, without parental guidance, is somehow ok and not at all detrimental, why don't you explain why you think that it's fine? Why is this purely a case of mental illness that has nothing to do with such exposure?

Do you honestly think that unmonitored exposure to the internet has no effect on a child's emotional and psychological development?
edit on 31-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My line of work is actually in sales for cellphones.You would not BELIEVE the stories. Parents griping about data overages but when I show them how to take control they dont want to deal with it. It is very easy to restrict any smart phone so that you as the parent can control what your kids can do, even down to restricitng whom they can, and can not text! Any young child given a phone (sadly smart phones are cheaper now and more easily accessable) they should always be started off with restrictions and eased into more mature control.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
What the hell is wrong with society? Seriously. This is why you don't give kids smartphones. The human species is royally #ed if this is the future of our youth. Kids can't even form normal bonds anymore because they are living their entire lives online before they even hit puberty.

I ran into similar behavior with my ex, who gave her oldest daughter a smartphone at the age of 11 (against my advice). Not even 2 years later she was displaying severe behavioral problems, and at 14 was flirting with bulimia, self harm, and other self destructive behaviors that were trending on internet grownups instead of developing healthy social habits by ACTUALLY GOING OUTSIDE AND MEETING REAL PEOPLE.

I can only see this getting worse, as younger generations become accustomed to having unfettered access to the internet and subsequently provide it for their kids at even earlier stages of development.

It has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with kids that think they can get their way. Young kids aren't that bright and they don't understand consequences. To that little girl her mother was standing in the way of her enjoyment so she thought to remove that enjoyment.

I can understand where she's coming from, I certainly had those same types of thoughts as a kid except I never acted on them. Largely because I could think a week in the future and realize it wouldn't get me anywhere.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: cueone1

Cell phone addiction is a real problem, and you gave an anecdotal experience of something that really does happen all over the world. People are inherently social, and smart phones have software that lets us be in contact with everyone at all times, and even have some privacy in the communications. Many people thrive on that type of interaction and it makes them feel good.

Here's my advice:
1. Get rid of the smart phones, if you still need a cell phone (they are quite useful) get something with only rudimentary internet capabilities. Save the social time for a real computer where you can schedule it in a block, rather than multitasking as you do everything else.

2. If you're trying to spend quality time with someone for an hour or two, neither of you brings your phone if you can't both be disciplined to not use it.

3. Discipline. Before you write and post something with a phone, write it out and set your phone down for 10 minutes and then read your comment. See if you still care about posting it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join