It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Introduces Bill to Repeal the Patriot Act

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Again...I AGREE...LOL

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Nobody thought it was the center of good sense when my guy, Russ Feingold, stood up to everybody in Congress and voted no.

But yeah, aside from that this long long overdue and certainly welcome on my part. Don't know how far it will go but hopefully further than tHe Patriot Act itself.

a reply to: greencmp

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
They'll just reply replace it with HR 1111.

I dare anyone to look that up!

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: machineintelligence

your dreaming if you think the nsa and cia and fbi are going to roll back any of the security measures.
Frankly, judging from the way Americans like to massacre each other and butcher people in far away lands - i think these kinds of laws are nessecary

Except for the Americans that allow the butchering and massacring in far away lands are the ones exempt from these laws. Such as the Patriot Acts, NSA spying, etc. Even if spied on they still are not held accountable.
edit on 24-3-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This doesn't mean anything - everybody knows "The House" is just there to appease the masses by making them think the politicians are listening right before the Senate smashes all hopes of anything reasonable ever making to law.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Nothing will happen and the President would veto if it made it that far..........Remember back when the current president was campaigning and he was against this.......YA.

We are so far gone people do not even understand we are not a democracy but a republic. Our apathy is deeply rooted in progressive ideals that are rotting the very house of cards we live in.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I can’t believe it. I don’t believe it. Congress is throwing us a curve ball. Repealing the Patriot Act would go against everything the House stands for. You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true. If it comes to the floor at all, I’m sure it will get watered down so much as to be useless and ineffective. Then, of course, an outrageous, unrelated and reprehensible piece of legislation will get tacked onto it before reaching the Senate.

Like an fool, though, I hope for once Congress will see eye-to-eye on this and just pass a clean bill. My jaded side, though, keeps screaming at me, “You idiot! It ain’t gonna happen!!”

Great find, machineintelligence. And now, I’m off to see the Wizard... Cheers!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Maybe someone who knows more about this process than me can post this on the White House site as a question/petition to pass and not veto this bill. Then all of us could sign it, get it up to the 100K signatures and FORCE the president to pay attention to it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I just read the rest of this thread. You guys have got to understand something...I'm sure many of you do. But, our representatives need to hear a wave of noise from all of us. We can not allow this to come and go without everyone cheering it on as loudly as we can, daily...hourly. If they don't see a huge reaction to this, they will think we are the sheep I'm sure most of them already think we are. Make noise, repost this, star, flag, fax, call...everything. And that petition I mentioned would be great. I'd attempt it myself but I have a family emergency going on at this moment.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Our government has become lawless. Pass a bill here and there, appease the masses (or not). It's all a show. There is no way in hell NSA will quit spying on us or anyone else. It's their purpose in life. The US has spent billions on this program, the equipment, places and buildings to house their secret data. It just AIN'T gonna happen so don't think otherwise no matter what they pretend to do or say otherwise.
edit on 25-3-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I think it is a bad thing..... This plays on certian interest groups sensabilities but in all truth....from my viewpoint, surveillance is a good thing.

The only people that should be affraid are the ones that are being naughty....

If the extra security keeps my kids school from getting blown up...

Im fine with it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Yup I'm with a bunch of other that have already stated that if they are truly doing away with it. They one have already used it as they wanted to, they having something else in the planning to take its place or both.

I have yet to read over the new bill, but are we sure it's not a wolf in sheep cloths? With all the riders they like attaching to things now, leave me worried they might piggyback something else with it. It seems normal now we'll get a nice pretty basket that looks to be filled with goodies, but once we really start digging we already find a steaming pile hidden at the bottom.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Ummm...You mean...this...bill...?

"The department of peace building"...It looks innocent enough at first glance...until you begin to ponder what it means to...enforce peace upon a community...

Scary...very scary...These idiots still think they can legislate morality...

Still...Here's to hoping this bill to repeal the patriot act goes full steam ahead...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

No arguments from me.

I originally supported the Patriot Act if for no other reason than that spying on U.S. citizens was occurring anyway.

The means apparently was using Canadian, British and Australian agencies to do the spying for us and visa versa then exchange the information amongst themselves.

Unless that loophole is closed, this act will be easily circumvented.....

Exactly, I laugh when someone says that we need to officially revoke elements of our constitutional rights in order that our government has a legal defense when they are caught using the state apparatus as a political weapon against its citizens.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DuckforcoveR
Nobody thought it was the center of good sense when my guy, Russ Feingold, stood up to everybody in Congress and voted no.

But yeah, aside from that this long long overdue and certainly welcome on my part. Don't know how far it will go but hopefully further than tHe Patriot Act itself.

Yes, talk about standing up for your principals under duress, he is to be commended.

There must have been others who voted against it too though. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich come to mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The link in the OP is to original 2013 bill from Rush Holt, here's the link to the current version:

H.R.1466 - To repeal the USA PATRIOT Act and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, and for other purposes.

Yup, that's the one.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
As usual, I smell tuna.

There is something people need to understand. The people running the show are never going to give up what they have acquired over the last decade and a half. I don't care what they say. I don't care how it looks. This is all for show.

Behind the scenes, I'd almost be willing to bet they were doing all of this all along (way before 9/11). The only thing that changed was they admitted it after 9/11. My guess is they just want to take it back into the shadows.

Whatever. They're up to something.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
As usual, I smell tuna.

There is something people need to understand. The people running the show are never going to give up what they have acquired over the last decade and a half. I don't care what they say. I don't care how it looks. This is all for show.

Behind the scenes, I'd almost be willing to bet they were doing all of this all along (way before 9/11). The only thing that changed was they admitted it after 9/11. My guess is they just want to take it back into the shadows.

Whatever. They're up to something.

They certainly had a fully formed plan to create the Department of Homeland Security.

nssg.pdf

As it enters the 21st century, the United States finds itself on the brink of an unprecedented crisis of competence in government. The declining orientation toward government service as a prestigious career is deeply troubling. Both civilian and military
institutions face growing challenges, albeit of different forms and degrees, in recruiting and retaining America’s most promising talent. This problem derives from multiple sources—ample private sector opportunities with good pay and fewer bureaucratic frustrations, rigid governmental personnel procedures, the absence of a single overarching threat like the Cold War to entice service, cynicism about the worthiness of government service, and perceptions of government as a plodding bureaucracy falling behind in a technological age of speed and accuracy. [FINAL DRAFT REPORT EMBARGOED UNTIL JAN. 31, 2001] Road Map for National Security: Imperative for Change, The Phase III Report of the U.S. Commission on National Security/21st Century

In Road Map for National Security, the Commission has endeavored to complete the logic of its three phases of work, moving from analysis to strategy to the redesign of the structures and processes of the U.S. national security system. For example, in Phase I the
Commission stressed that mass-casualty terrorism directed against the U.S. homeland was of serious and growing concern. It therefore proposed in Phase II a strategy that prioritizes deterring, defending against, and responding effectively to such dangers. Thus, in Phase III, it recommends a new National Homeland Security Agency to consolidate and refine the missions of the nearly two dozen disparate departments and agencies that have a role in U.S. homeland security today.

edit on 25-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So they pass it, then what? How do we REALLY know they stopped and they aren't just providing lip service. You think the government will allow the elimination of what would surely be hundreds of NSA and CIA employees?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
a reply to: theantediluvian

Reading the text of both bills they share so much this must be a reintroduction of the same bill for the most part. I can see the reason for the confusion. Thanks for the updated relevant link.

The text of the bill finally just went up...

Bill Text - 114th Congress - H.R.1466.IH

Short and sweet and while I too feel like some smoke is being blown somewhere, it can't be denied that this is a step in the right direction.
edit on 25-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join