It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which F/A-18E squadron sports the Playboy Bunny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hi everyone, just watched 3 Super Bugs fly into BNA(Nashville International Airport) putting on a little show when they broke formation for landing. Well the second Echo in echelon formation was sporting the iconic Playboy Bunny and I`m not finding anything about the F/A-18Es that have it. I know about the F-14 in the test and evaluation squadron VX-4, and how it eventually became VX-9 but they are based out of China Lake IIRC.

So what would these guy or gals be doing at a civilian Intl. airport and what sort of bar should I go looking for them in? I`m assuming they are staying the night because usually the military aircraft just refueling don't taxi to the ANG hangars to do so. Their are flight support companies that take care of that on the ramp next to the runways.

Just wanted to add there has been a significant increase in USN and USMC aircraft coming and going through BNA as well recently, seems like the final chance to see the good old AV-8Bs fly around before they retire them.
edit on 23-3-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

The frequently stop at Nashville for crew rest. If they can't get permission to land at a nearby base, they'll use a civilian airport. They prefer not to, for security, and handling reasons, but they will do it.

VX-9 out of China Lake. Aircraft 165804 had it in 2004-2005.
edit on 3/23/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hey I was going to just PM you but wanted to throw it out there for everyone to see. There is an airbase capable of accepting them less than 50 miles away at Smyrna TN but the police out there are so strict they'd probably issue the Hornet drivers speeding tickets and noise violations.

Rest is what I was thinking as well and I`m not sure what is going down in Smyrna ATM. I`m hoping I can find the pilots and buy them a drink or at least get them talking aircraft. Its my Friday

I checked out the VX-9 website but they don't really elaborate on what they do with the Super Hornet currently, what would they be doing on the East coast if based out of China Lake? And is it only a handful of aircraft that sport that logo?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
To give the thread a bit more substance this is a short video that shows the maneuver I get to see when any tactical military aircraft comes into town, usually in full afterburner to wake the neighbors and to announce to all that you should lock up your daughters, wives and sisters because the boys are back in town. (Intended in a respectful way ladies, there are female fighter pilots as well, you can PM me if you like if you are as I am currently single)

Also, goes fine with Mighty Wings from Cheap Trick

And this one... What are the devices on the wingtips on this F-18 mostly seen in this video?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
And this one... What are the devices on the wingtips on this F-18 mostly seen in this video?

That's not an F-18, that's an E-18 Growler. Those are jamming pods.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You have to get a PPR to go into a military base. There are various reasons why they can't get one, from there are too many aircraft at the time on the base, to doing work on the parking area they'd normally put them, to just about anything else you can think of.

Going or from Pax River, doing some kind of work up there.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I never thought of Nashville as being en route to Pax River from other USN/USMC air stations, that makes almost perfect sense. I could be accused of creating this thread under the influence similar to the way some have probably made one after having a few drinks, I just happened to have one to many Super Hornets tonight and got excited. The pilots are staying at a hotel downtown somewhere, no idea where. To bad there aren't any military bars around here like around actual air bases, finding them would be way easier.

I never knew the Growler hap wingtip pods for electronics, I had always thought they kept those hard points for self defense AIM-9`s and used the AIM-7/120 hard points on the intakes for conformal pods. My head hangs in shame at my lack of basic current combat aircraft knowledge.

Trying find the hard point numbers I did come across your old thread here and would like to ask if you could add to anything brought up there, it was well before my time here. Makes me think of a recent post or discussion relating to comments made by an AF officer claiming that stealth isn't the hands down, end all solution to air dominance or something similar to that affect.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
That's not an F-18, that's an E-18 Growler. Those are jamming pods.

Actually, they're receiving antennae for ELINT and geolocation and signal-processing for the jamming pods, but pretty close.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

They basically took one of the pods, cut it in half, and put it in the wingtip stations to save another station.

top topics

join