It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing patents 'Star Wars'-style force fields

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The title of the article states that the object in question is a force field, but I actually think it's more of a shockwave blocker than anactual shield. Basically, an ionized layer of plasma is generated once a shockwave is detected by a sensor. So, not an actual force field but still pretty cool.

As it is described, the system is not designed to prevent direct impact from shells or shrapnel; rather, it is designed to protect a target -- such as a vehicle or building -- from the damaging effects of shockwaves from a nearby impact.

The patent is for a shockwave attenuation system, which consists of a sensor capable of detecting a shockwave-generating explosion and an arc generator that receives the signal from the sensor to ionise a small region, producing a plasma field between the target and the explosion using lasers, electricity and microwaves.

This small plasma field would differ from the surrounding environment in temperature, density and/or composition. This would provide a buffer between the target and the explosion that would hinder the shockwaves from reaching and damaging the target.

One step closer, ATS. While it may not be the real thing, this tech cacn lend to other technology(ies) where force fields are possible. What say ATS?

www.cnet.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Still think we're working backwards while spending billions in the process.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
/sigh

It's never the real thing.

👣

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Um... This is PRECISELY what is meant by a force field, when such things are referred to by science fiction. In fact, science fiction refers to force fields being comprised of various mechanisms, including plasma fields/shields.

I am surprised however, that Boeing have secured the patent, since I am sure that some researchers from a UK university were working on a shielding system for space craft, designed around the principle of the magnetosphere, which successfully channeled a bolt of energy around a scale miniature craft in testing, and involved a similar mechanism.

I am sure though, that Boeing would not be so rude as to jump the queue on that....

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
SO are we talking using this weapon in space, or 1,000 feet of the ground. I could see some pretty damaging effects to civilians should something like this have to be used to contain an explosion at a major epicenter. am I reading the same article

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

What about protection from an electromagnetic pulse, could this technology offer protection/shielding of any significance against EMP attack?
edit on 23-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The lazy bums.

they just now got around to patenting something they've been using since the 70's.

lol

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well, actually you might not be too fantastically far off the mark there, although setting up the system to deflect conventional explosive forces, AND be reconfigurable to defend against an EMP might not be on the cards just yet. I would have thought that the crucial thing would be modulation, and duration.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Luke, I am your father. Well, actually your stepfather. But close enough.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Seems logical and a hell of a lot more cost effective than encasing our susceptible electronic and electrical equipment in grounded Faraday cages.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I think that faraday cages will always be an important part of atmospheric aviation design. Before I explain why, I want to make something clear, which might not have been before.

Lightning, is a type of EMP effect. It happens however, to be highly concentrated, and INCREDIBLY powerful, when compared to the same amount of energy unleashed via a distributed field effect over a wider area. A field would be something I can see a plasma shield of appropriate complexity, being able to counter. But you cannot beat a faraday cage for channeling the awesome power of a lightning bolt around the contents of...well pretty much anything really.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The technology taken to its logical conclusion looks promising all the same.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Oh absolutely! I think that technology like this will be absolutely key to developing various technologies, both for atmospheric flight, and for space travel later on, and probably with some significant tweaks and changes.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
an cage of Faraday would protect you against an emp....

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Each country has it's own patent law. They're only good in the country they're filed in, and to have protection in other countries you need to file there as well.

So even if a UK firm has a patent in the UK or Europe, it would be different from a patent in the US. It goes the other way too.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

But it would not protect the on board instrumentation, because not all instrumentation is mounted within the faraday cage.

For example, if you hit a Eurofighter with an EMP, it would plummet from the sky, because its agility as an aircraft relies on the inherent aerodynamic INSTABILITY of the design of the craft itself, in order to be as quick to turn and climb and so on, as possible. That means an awful lot of computerised control of the aircraft, and by necessity, not all of that system can be hidden within the cage, some of it, surely, must reside closer to the skin of the aircraft.

Because Eurofighters are aerodynamically unstable by design, they would not be able to glide to a landing. They would simply fall from the sky.

But a plasma shield encompassing a whole vehicle, would provide an entirely more comprehensive coverage of an aircrafts systems, in terms of protecting them from such an assault, if it could be made to work!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Forget the electric dog collar, time to upgrade the perimeter

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It probably can't stop that new RAIL GUN. But, keep plugging away guvnah!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

What about protection from an electromagnetic pulse, could this technology offer protection/shielding of any significance against EMP attack?

good question.........

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

If memory serves i think Nikola Tesla had some ideas regarding force fields/EM shields. Dont hold me as to the credibility of the source material all the same and the existence of Scalar waves has also yet to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join