It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How slow can a C-130 fly?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I tried the Googles but all links mention its top speed. Wiki was no help either.

I was just headed back to the shop from the parts store and I saw two C-130s flying beside me. This is only a 3-4 mile trip, but the planes didn't put much gap between us. I was doing 65mph and at double that I figure they would have made much more distance on me. Can they fly slower than 130mph? They're so massive I doubt it. Also, is 300mph really its top speed?

I'm sure it was an optical allusion as to why they didn't put more distance between us.

I searched here too for an answer but didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I am seeing the stall speed listed as: 100 knots / 185 kmh / 115 mph.

Source.

edit on 19-3-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It depends on how heavy they are. They drop jumpers at 120 MPH, so they may go even slower without stalling.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

WTH? I clicked on 6 different links at googles and a wiki link and nothing showed stall speed?

Guess I'm blind. Thank you.

Big ole planes flying slow look funny!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well with a good headwind maybe they did look like they were just keeping pace with you.
I bet that was cool ! I don't know but maybe a 100 knot SS is running on fumes and carrying zero cargo.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
WTH? I clicked on 6 different links at googles and a wiki link and nothing showed stall speed?

No worries. You just need to remember aircraft parlance and type in 'stall speed'.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

DAYUM. Didn't know they jump at 120. I once jumped out of the back of a truck doing 10mph, didn't pan out to well for me.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I once jumped out of the back of a truck doing 10mph, didn't pan out to well for me.

Did you remember to pull the rip cord or did a 'friend' pack your chute?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ive seen them come in on final approach with a good headwind and they can appears as if its a VTOL coming in for landing. An empty herky bird can do some incredibly things, especially some of the recent upgraded versions.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Young and dumb. We were sitting on the tailgate and my buddy said," if you get your legs moving fast enough, I bet you could jump off and hit the ground running"...

I had no clue how many times you'll flip at 10 damn mph! Blacktop and being stupid hurts!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

did a 'friend' pack your chute?

Oyyyyy!
You didn't just type that!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Oyyyyy!
You didn't just type that!

You know, that is even funnier now that you pointed that out.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
Ive seen them come in on final approach with a good headwind and they can appears as if its a VTOL coming in for landing. An empty herky bird can do some incredibly things, especially some of the recent upgraded versions.

I saw one of those planes in your avatar come in for a landing at Edwards years ago... I looked like a leaf for a bit, it rocked back and forth on its wings a couple of times and was going what looked to be far too slow for a Mach 3 capable a/c.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Source.

yup that looks like the same spec as I got
Source.

but there are also a number of relatives to consider... are we talking loaded is there a head wind etc ?

edit on 19/3/15 by urbanfox because: fixing link....I hope

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
One of my friends' Dads had an old fabric and aluminum plane (I swear it was a J-3) with a stall speed so low that on a day with a very stiff steady wind, he could "fly" it at a moderate walk. Legend has it that there is a VHS tape with Sid "hovering" during a day with 30+ MPH winds on the field.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The C-130 is a tactical transport designed for short field operation. It's not QUITE a true STOL design, but is as close as you'll get without being a STOL.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I've seen sign planes over Miami Beach just hanging in the air in the same place due to a nice headwind.

They just hover like mosquitos.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Source.

100 kts must be flaps up?
A friend of mine fly the J-model, and he mentioned a vref (landing speed) of about 85 kts for a light plane, so stall speed flaps full must be lower.

My ride (B737-800) will stall at around 94 kts flaps full standard temp.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen
100 kts must be flaps up?

That would make sense to me. I was under the impression the site I linked gave the stall speed for all aircraft in Vs1.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

a reply to: buddah6

DAYUM. Didn't know they jump at 120. I once jumped out of the back of a truck doing 10mph, didn't pan out to well for me.

Do I really need to say paratroopers?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join