It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory voting? Obama says it would be 'transformative'

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: PrivilegedPeasant

As well as highly mentally ill and insane.

This hand picked and groomed, corrupt windy City gangster is a yes man for someone other than any American citizen, or any of our interests whatsoever.

What is even worse is that the typical liberal rejects still support him even though he has only increased the business as usual in the Middle East. These hypocrites never want to discuss that reality.

~$heopleNation

edit on 21-3-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

edit on 21-3-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

If it was honest, sure.

But the system is rigged.

They would be in for a real surprise, if they really got everyone's vote, and it really mattered.
edit on 21-3-2015 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Ask Australia where voting is mandatory. You can vote or be fined, your freedom of choice.

We are required to register with the Selective Service. We are required to register with Social Security. We are required to serve on juries. We can be summoned and subpoenaed to appear. We are required to renew licenses. We are required to provide proof of insurance on homes and cars.

But require us to vote!! Oh, what happened to our freedoms!!!

Every single person that considers themselves a "patriot" and a believer in the U.S. should WANT to vote and do so. It is not the voters hurting the country, it is the non-voters, those people that refuse to participate, share the burden, accept the responsibility of being a damned citizen and then bemoan the consequences. When less than half of the people vote and then barely half of them decide who is going to hold any public office then barely a quarter of the citizens are deciding for the rest. Democracy demands we each have an equal say and each person needs to accept that as a basic foundation of our country.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Beaux
Ask Australia where voting is mandatory. You can vote or be fined, your freedom of choice.

Australia also has 5 parties with representation and another dozen at the state level. The US pretty much has only two parties until you get down to the local level.

Once you have more than two parties the politics of voting against party X don't work. This is a necessity in order to have mandatory voting.
edit on 22-3-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
A requirement to vote is unconstitutional and will never happen.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Maybe he's worried about people like Russell brand telling people not to vote, although I do think it's just a case of trying to get the majority of the brainwashed down the ballot box...

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

You'll NEVER topple a Government by NOT voting.

Why not? Our government survives through elections and tax money.

If you're an anarchist, and get ANY Government assistance of ANY kind (even down to driving on roads that were built by the Government), you're a hypocrite.

Government assistance and tax-funded infrastructure are two separate things.

It would seem less hypocritical as an anarchist to evade taxes and horde all government programs. Doing so would bankrupt government, which, you know, destruction of the state is the goal of anarchists.

No more government.

If you refuse to elect your rulers, then you have no say at all over who those rulers might be

Humans should have the right to choose not to be governed. Just like they should have the right to choose to be governed.

But the people who willfully choose to be ruled tend to hate people who choose to live free, and generally dislike the concept of the right to choose--the only acceptable choice, in their opinion, is rulership, and they have no problem making that choice for others.

I can clearly see you are one of those people.

even though you have to abide by their laws.

Violence is a thing for a reason.

What an idiotic outlook.

The shepards have trained you well.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I am curious if this might be another backdoor for illegal immigrants?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Oh, yeah. I can see it now.

The oldies from the 80's will remember when people used to have exams that were "fill in the bubble" with a number 2 pencil. Some people would just draw faces with the bubbles they filled in simply to spite being in school in the first place. Now can you imagine those people under mandatory voting laws?

Or how about the ones that just go in and write "Donald Duck" in the write in spot?

Yeah, mandatory voting would be stellar, wouldn't it?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It's hard to take anything Obama says serious at all and not surprised he would want to implement something like this. Why doesn't he just re-write the constitution while he is at it? How about a mandatory revolution instead.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

We are required to register with the Selective Service. We are required to register with Social Security. We are required to serve on juries. We can be summoned and subpoenaed to appear. We are required to renew licenses. We are required to provide proof of insurance on homes and cars.

Every single person that considers themselves a "patriot" and a believer in the U.S. should WANT to vote and do so. It is not the voters hurting the country, it is the non-voters, those people that refuse to participate, share the burden, accept the responsibility of being a damned citizen and then bemoan the consequences. When less than half of the people vote and then barely half of them decide who is going to hold any public office then barely a quarter of the citizens are deciding for the rest. Democracy demands we each have an equal say and each person needs to accept that as a basic foundation of our country.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Finally someone in this thread who makes some clear sense. Also, I suspect that had any other president than Obama suggested this, there would not have been such vitriolic flaming that we've been witness to in this very thread.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

And of course, I ask you this. Where does it end? No one ever responds to that question in the context of government power. It's a very simple question and all you have to do is draw a line and say "This would be the point where it shouldn't go any farther. Ever". And then you should explain why it has to end there and why the same excuses that were good enough a thousand times before wouldn't still be just as good for a thousand more.

You can't do it. No one can. Because the truth is that big government never stops. It will always be there.....waiting for the door to open so it can take just one more step.

And the even bigger truth is that big government doesn't WANT to stop. Ever. It is not TRYING to be self-limiting. It is trying to find every excuse in the book for more. And if it can't find a good one for today, it'll write another book and raise taxes to pay for it.
edit on 6-4-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc

WASHINGTON — They say the only two things that are certain in life are death and taxes. President Barack Obama wants to add one more: voting.

Obama floated the idea of mandatory voting in the U.S. while speaking to a civic group in Cleveland on Wednesday. Asked about the corrosive influence of money in U.S. elections, Obama digressed into the related topic of voting rights and said the U.S. should be making it easier — not harder— for people to vote.

"If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country," Obama said, calling it potentially transformative. Not only that, Obama said, but universal voting would "counteract money more than anything."

Mandatory voting? Obama says it would be 'transformative'

What are your thoughts ATS?

Do you think that this would actually help overcome the wealthy special interests that hold the ear of our congressmen?

Or...Would it allow for a system that is even easier to manipulate by producing predictable volumes of voters?

How much do you think they'd rake in from the additional fines?
I have a hunch this would end up becoming another Obamacare nightmare where the ones that can least afford it end up bearing the brunt of the penalties.

Obama touts it's " benefits" but I'm skeptical that many of those vaunted "benefits" would ever materialize.
I doubt corporate interests would so easily allow the people to actually control their fate.

Besides, I've never been a fan of "mandatory" anything - I say no to this brainchild.

It appears that if this is more than talk there may be one more freedom in the crosshairs - the freedom to "opt out".
We have compulsory voting in Australia and I believe always have. It does provide a far more complete representation of what the majority wants. I was able to vote online this year for the first time in my life. Took all of 2 mins. Was simple and convenient. For this that manually vote it is also relatively convenient. Voting booths are everywhere.

I think rights are just that but the precious nature of a true democracy also needs to be fought for and defended.

Corporate dollars and other special interest groups are more and more influencing outcomes of elections all over the western world. It has to stop. Contributions should have to only be provided by a living human being and even then should have a limit per person to avoid anyone buying influence with policy making decisions.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: inquisitivenature
We have compulsory voting in Australia and I believe always have.

This explains a whole lot about the puzzling question of why Australians don't seem to be able to get their heads around the concept of even a little bit of freedom.

The right to make mistakes is the most basic right we have. The right to make the wrong choice. The right to say no. Once that has been compromised, it's a house of cards.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Just so you know. When a politician says words like "transformation" or "change" or anything like that, what they really mean is something closer to "mutation" or "metastasis". You have to think back to "enhanced interrogation techniques" to really understand how to listen to a politician speak.

Euphemism is the language of the politician. "Hope" actually means "wishful thinking". "Tax" actually means "penalize".
edit on 7-4-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join