It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs Attracted to Straight-Up Lasers/Lights?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
Moth men drive UFO's?

Yes, and that's how we will (eventually) rid ourselves of these intruders.

Just point a honking big laser straight up and wait for the little green morons to fly into the beam.

Harte

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I imagine our kitty cat overlords flying overhead love those lasers.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Can this shoot down UFOs?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE
a reply to: Phage

Drones can ascend at a rate of about 50ft/second? I'd like to see the specs on those.......

The phantom out of the box can do 19 feet/second, which is nothing.

...and let me know when an alien ship can do this

edit on 16-3-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
a reply to: Bedlam
10kW? I take it that wasn't a standard, off-the-shelf consumer laser...

Well, it was off-the-shelf but it was a big industrial honker of a laser, and for the time (late 70s) it was about as big a CO2 laser as you could get and use in the field, sort of.

We were having cooling issues. It was sort of rickety to use this thing, as it didn't like being bumped or shaken, so you could tune it to spec at the shop and then get it into the lake and you'd have to fiddle with it, then if you went to full power if it wasn't really tweaked it would heat up and you'd have to shut down and let it cool off.

So we spent nights at the shop with this thing outside. You were supposed to adjust it at 1kW, but the problem was it would always work at 1kW...it was at full power output where you got issues. So we'd set up, drive around with the thing to shake it up, and then tune it at FULL power to see what was jostling awry.

The problem there was, we didn't have a good target, so he got into the habit of coning the beam a bit and pointing it straight up, and now you know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say.

I used to maintain a gas filled UV laser back in thew 90's. It was the size of a car and its sole purpose was to punch microscopic holes in mylar hearing aid receiver diaphragms. Today I have a 0.3Watt UV laser [dangerous] the physical size of an average pointer in my computer bag. Amazing how tech has progressed.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Fun Fact: Its not called the TR-3B

That's just the common term used to describe large black triangles in which I`m starting to think are not all the same after reading tons of sighting reports. Almost like a design being refined with newer models.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

Hey, just what you see pal!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2
I used to maintain a gas filled UV laser back in thew 90's. It was the size of a car and its sole purpose was to punch microscopic holes in mylar hearing aid receiver diaphragms.

This thing happened during my last summer or two in high school, when Dad decided I needed to get off the farm more and see how things worked out in the world of jobs with bosses and time schedules...so he got me one with the Corps of Engineers so some of his combat engineer NCO buddies could "show me what a 9 to 5 is like", spent those summers with one of his brothers who was, if anything, crazier than Dad.

They had this neat but very incorrect idea that you could use a big honkin' laser to clear unwanted invasive plant species from waterways without using nasty chemical herbicides. So they bought the physically toughest 10kW CO2 laser they could get, put it on a big pontoon boat looking thing with a full-on industrial diesel generator, and added on a set of optics to direct the output where you wanted and as collimated as you'd like (within reason), in a sort of gun shaped turret.

So we sailed the rivers, lakes and canals of the South on the SS Photon, burning the crap out of everything in our path, including ourselves. We discovered, for science:

1) in the late 70s it was real tough to get a 10kW laser to not overheat and go boom in ideal conditions
2) big lasers don't like field conditions or being transported on a pontoon boat
3) seemingly minor things like a little bit of dried river on your optics can make odd things happen, sometimes dramatically
4) they don't go pew pew, or even make that neat Jonny Quest beeBeeBeeBeeBee laser noise that everything made. And yes, I had "Mystery of the Lizard Men" in mind the whole time.
5) you can, in fact, torch the crap out of water hyacinths and hydrilla. Burn 'em right to the water line in a blink. The only problem is, that won't kill them. Who knew?
6) If you sort of sit over a wad of invasive plants, you can kill them by directing the beam nearly straight downwards and boiling them to death. It also kills all the fish, and you have to really pummel the plants with the beam to get the job done at all.
7) It is excessively entertaining to watch water boiling along the beam in clear water. Never gets old.
8) If you can see a bass, and you have the angle, you can fish with a big laser, and they come up parboiled. More or less.
9) If you can see a bass, and you DON'T have the angle, it'll reflect faster than a .22 LR bouncing off a lake. And it'll nearly always hit something bad.
10) You can clean algae off a boat ramp in a fascinating and nearly effortless way
11) It's very hard to hit birds in flight. You can do it, though.
12) You can make coffee with a big laser, but you have to put the percolator on the dock and back off some. It's easier to just put it on the manifold, but not as much fun
13) It makes holes in fiberglass boats, even if you didn't mean to. Especially if you didn't mean to.
14) You can start fires with it, really really easily, and quite some distance away if you collimate it tight and wind up the power
15) Wear the goggles
16) Lasers have a magic way of zeroing in on expensive things
17) Lasers make holes in/burn objects you weren't planning on, and things you want to burn or perforate are magically immune
18) You can break window glass at a truly amazing distance. A big CO2 laser will also opaque windshields in a blink.
19) Those little ripples on the lake when the wind blows that make sparkly reflections of sunlight? Pure #ing murder if you're firing a laser at the water. I can't count the times we all screamed and dove in the water.
20) Don't do a burn-in test firing straight up at night.

edit on 16-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

0.3W, 405nm.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2
Cool. But can you pop black balloons with that thing?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

a reply to: draknoir2
Cool. But can you pop black balloons with that thing?

I believe black ones.

Thing is NOT FDA and was shipped as a 3mW instead of a 300mW.

Was using it in a photo emulsion curing experiment.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, civilians shinning lasers around can now be arrested:

www.fbi.gov...
BAKERSFIELD MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO SHINING LASER AT LAW ENFORCEMENT AIRCRAFT

www.fbi.gov...
FBI VIDEO: MAKING A POINT ABOUT LASERS

www.youtube.com...
YOUTUBE TOUR OF LUXOR HOTEL'S NIGHTLY, STRAIGHT-UP LASER BEAM
(Followed by another video of the same subject with legendary investigative reporter, George Knapp.)

en.wikipedia.org...
LUXOR HOTEL, LAS VEGAS
Scroll down to "Luxor Sky Beam". It is strongest beam of light in the world, at 42.3 billion candela. On a clear night, it can be seen 275 miles away by aircraft at cruising altitude. It has operated reliably since 10/15/1993, and is a FFA designated navigational landmark for aviators. Since 2008, only half the lamps are now lit every night, supposedly as a cost and energy saving measure. (OR, as someone stated above, it accidentally fried a satellite one night.)

www.nuforc.org...
NUFORC WITNESS REPORTS: VARIETY OF UFOS SEEN OVER/NEAR LAS VEGAS
Including some seen over the Luxor laser.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join