It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Publishes Full Text Of Net Neutrality Rules

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

No, you can't say "All regulation is bad. Period." Unless you want to convince others that regulating how much feces or insect parts are allowed in the food you eat is bad. Or how much toxic waste is too much when it's being dumped. Or regulating the safety standards on how much radiation is allowed somewhere. There are all kinds of good regulations in place for all kinds of things. By definition that is what Government does. That's all it does is regulate things. If all regulation was bad then Government would never have been created in the first place and Complete Independent Anarchy for everyone would have already worked long ago.
edit on 14-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I'm not so sure, to say that all regulation is good would be the more inaccurate statement since only a handful of regulations may indeed be useful while the vast majority tend to produce unintentional deleterious results.

It is also useful to consider where the term 'regulation' actually comes from. As I understand it, it was the term given to the set of legal restrictions created and intended to make more 'regular' the ups and downs of stock trades and consumer goods. That description is rarely appropriate for the circumstances under which such 'regulations' are being applied.
edit on 14-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I'm not saying all regulation is good. Far from it. Over regulation is tyranny. But this isn't an all or nothing reality we live in. It's all about finding the best location in the gray area. That goes for just about everything.

Out of control regulation sucks as does an over sized government. But having no regulations and or no government isn't even possible, at least not for humanity it seems, because people are maniacs who brutalize everything and everyone when not put in check somehow. Hell even when we do have laws and regulations people still brutalize each other when given the chance sometimes. Imagine if there really wasn't anything else stopping them.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: xuenchen

I've only had the time for about 80 pages. But so far, nothing I've read is anything other than exactly what I expected, and it very accurately reflects the previous two documents from the FCC, on the proposed rule changes.

This one was discussed extensively and, from my point of view, presents a clear example of a need for one of many exceptions to these rules. I fully expect most of these provisions to require many exceptions.

No Paid Prioritization. Paid prioritization occurs when a broadband provider accepts
payment (monetary or otherwise) to manage its network in a way that benefits particular content,
applications, services, or devices. To protect against “fast lanes,” this Order adopts a rule that establishes
that:
A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such
person is so engaged, shall not engage in paid prioritization.

Obviously, any real time system controlled remotely which has the potential to be life threatening will have to be excluded (such as telesurgery) though, it doesn't exactly say that you can't prioritize a connection, just that you can't charge more for it.

Perhaps an ISP could offer enhanced services to their friends for free without breaking this rule.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I'm not saying all regulation is good. Far from it. Over regulation is tyranny. But this isn't an all or nothing reality we live in. It's all about finding the best location in the gray area. That goes for just about everything.

Out of control regulation sucks as does an over sized government. But having no regulations and or no government isn't even possible, at least not for humanity it seems, because people are maniacs who brutalize everything and everyone when not put in check somehow. Hell even when we do have laws and regulations people still brutalize each other when given the chance sometimes. Imagine if there really wasn't anything else stopping them.

I have come to the conclusion that people are better at not being brutal than government is.

While I am comfortable demanding an end to all regulatory intervention and artificial market manipulation, I am also somewhat comfortable with conceding that some may be useful.

I would just rather be in the position of being magnanimous and allowing a few regulations to stay than to be forced to fight a never ending onslaught of cronyism.

"In debates between anarchists and statists, the burden of proof clearly should rest on those who place their trust in the state. Anarchy’s mayhem is wholly conjectural; the state’s mayhem is undeniably, factually horrendous."

-Robert Higgs

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I agree with you to a point. Governments are the king champions of brutality. Always have been. That's is why it's so important to keep them in check. Keep them only as big and powerful as needed or else they get out of hand. All organizations do this however. Religion, Corporations, Military, etc. Whereas individual people can really only cause so much damage by themselves. You can see though that it all has it's roots with humanity. One human, not so much trouble. A bunch of humans grouped together, be it Religion or Government or Corporation, can be a very big problem if not restricted from becoming too big to control.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join