It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Publishes Full Text Of Net Neutrality Rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
OK it looks like the FCC has indeed released that controversial 400 page report on net neutrality.

Now people can pick it apart and decide how this thing will affect the public and the industry.

Read between the lines carefully.

Let's see if this is what it's supposed to be.

Anything conflicting with what was "said" during the debate?

FCC Publishes Full Text Of Net Neutrality Rules

GN Docket No. 14-28

Two weeks after it voted to approve rules on net neutrality, the Federal Communications Commission has released the full text of the Open Internet Order. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler calls it "a shining example of American democracy at work."

Wheeler also listed what he calls "bright-line rules" in the order. From his summary:

Ban Paid Prioritization: "Fast lanes" will not divide the Internet into "haves" and "have nots."

Ban Blocking: Consumers must get what they pay for — unfettered access to any lawful content on the Internet.

Ban Throttling: Degrading access to legal content and services can have the same effect as blocking and will not be permitted.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hold your breath here come the Net neutrality defenders in 3-2-1...

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
About time. I delete At&ts throttle files many many times a month sometimes multiple times a day.

ETA: I refuse to read over 300 pgs of what I'm assuming to he an IEEE report. If anyone does let me know.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Cnet has a good breakdown of it here.

1.What are the new rules? The FCC's Net neutrality order boils down to three key rules:

No Blocking. Simply put: A broadband provider can't block lawful content, applications, services or nonharmful devices.

No Throttling. The FCC created a separate rule that prohibits broadband providers from slowing down specific applications or services, a practice known as throttling. More to the point, the FCC said providers can't single out Internet traffic based on who sends it, where it's going, what the content happens to be or whether that content competes with the provider's business.

No Paid Prioritization. A broadband provider cannot accept fees for favored treatment. In short, the rules prohibit Internet fast lanes.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What you fail to understand is that you had two options to make and that were given for you to make:

1. Kill the internet now.
or
2. Delay the killing of the internet and continue to battle it down the road.

Anybody who thinks net neutrality principles are bad , has no idea what the internet is nor what net neutrality means.

Option 2 was the best of the crappy options . Remove your bias and you can understand that sometimes hard decisions need to be made between crappy options.
edit on 29331America/ChicagoSat, 14 Mar 2015 12:29:56 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is all BS in my opinion because what will happen is that say a company violates one of these rules and gets penalized who do you think will pay this fine thank you very much yours truly l!!! reply to: mOjOm

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

So this is MY failure?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

So this is MY failure?

Partly, your party loyalty is probably more of a concern than just dealing with net neutrality

edit on 37331America/ChicagoSat, 14 Mar 2015 12:37:14 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Us pro net neutral people have been saying that exact same thing to all the anti-neutral folk over and over again since this began. Anyone who still hasn't understood it simply won't or can't understand it and will remain ignorant. It's good that you're still putting the effort forward and all, but at this point everyone who wants to know the truth knows it. Some just refuse to accept it.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

What are you talking about???

My guess is that if a company breaks the rules and get fined then they will pay the fine.

But I'm sure that's not the way you think it will work so why not just tell us what you think??

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Anyone who still hasn't understood it simply won't or can't understand it and will remain ignorant.

Unfortunately true , the kool-aid is strong at these GOP and DNC meetups.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Sorry ill break it down for you say Comcast gets caught Throttling and get fined $200k the company will not take this loss they will charge the companys Customers each ten cents to cover the fines so in the end you just handed the government the keys to the vault a reply to: mOjOm

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

But that is no different than how all companies work. If Walmart get's fined and has to pay 100k they also raise their prices a tiny bit so that their customers all fit the bill in the end. This of course is their choice to raise their prices and it only effects the people who shop there.

Same with Comcast. If they get fined they can choose to distribute that money over their cost to the customer if they choose to do so. But again that only effects the people who use Comcast.

That's just how money works. All any of us are doing with money is just trading it back and forth with each other all the time for different reasons.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
What about the new service plans/ speed plans they will now dump on Everyone and charge the same?
Rule XX: No throttling bandwith/speed... SO, we now will get crappy speed because they have to offer the exact same thing to everyone.
I personaly pay for a high end commercial account and will now get a DSL speed....

Or
Did I miss something here......

Yeah, yeah.. I am NOT talking about ISPs from blocking and discriminating against websites and other online services... Not at all... they do it ALL the time....right, right?
That is a good thing. But tell me when was the last time you were blocked for anything?
This is just another guise for the Govt. to get more tax money and control over our daily lives.
Welcome to the New World Order!
edit on 14-3-2015 by DogMeat because: Spell like poo

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I have been going through it for the last couple of days and, besides the frequency of the use of vague language throughout, I can't help but notice that it is most certainly not 8 pages plus commentary from citizens as has been put forward by internet assassination deniers.

I also have to ask, why this wasn't released before the FCC vote?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp
It's like Queen Poloosly said: You have to vote it in to read it... Feel safe yet?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
I personaly pay for a high end commercial account and will now get a DSL speed....

Or
Did I miss something here......

Yes, you're missing something. Or perhaps including something that isn't there might be more correct. There won't be a change in your speed from what it is now. You pay for a high speed commercial account and that will continue to be what you get. Unless your ISP decides they want to change your contract or whatever to some other deal but this FCC ruling has never effected that anyway.

Nothing is going to change from what it is now. Everyone who wants to pay for faster internet can do so just like they always have. This ruling dealt with how ISP's are allowed speed up or slow down traffic from the content providers not customers. The customer would be the one who suffered as a result if the content provider didn't pay up to the ISP but this was never about the connection between ISP and customers, it was about the connection between ISP and Content Providers.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
anytime you get more regulation its bad. Period. its nto a right or left thing. ALso corporations can be held in check by paying thsoe who are good and not paying those deemed bad.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Waiting for some actual quotes and analysis from the document.

What's the most scary parts?

What are the most solid parts?

Any "enforcements" that might not be so "enforceable"?

How 'bout some backdoor loopholes?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I've only had the time for about 80 pages. But so far, nothing I've read is anything other than exactly what I expected, and it very accurately reflects the previous two documents from the FCC, on the proposed rule changes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join