It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart rips into Christie's settlement with Exxon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

TRENTON — The Daily Show host Jon Stewart tore into Gov. Chris Christie's negotiation of a pennies-on-the-dollar settlement with Exxon Mobil over environmental damage caused by its refineries in Bayonne and Linden on Thursday night.

Stewart noted that Exxon Mobil had been embroiled in litigation with the State of New Jersey since 2004, "to determine just how many billions of dollars they would squeeze through Exxon's nozzle, until...." said Stewart, pausing to sarcastically add "'master negotiator' Chris Christie showed up, and sealed the deal."

Before the judge deciding the case could award damages, on March 5th, Christie's acting Attorney General, John Hoffman, announced his office had proposed a $225 million settlement with Exxon Mobil, instead of the $8.9 billion originally sought by the state.

Before the judge deciding the case could award damages, on March 5th, Christie's acting Attorney General, John Hoffman, announced his office had proposed a $225 million settlement with Exxon Mobil, instead of the $8.9 billion originally sought by the state. "Christie's said he was a great negotiator," deadpanned Stewart, "He didn't say which side he was working for."

Christie had defended the settlement at a recent Somerville town hall meeting, saying it's over and above what Exxon must pay to remediate the sites.

But on Thursday night's broadcast, Stewart wasn't letting Christie claim credit for that.

"However... that Exxon has to fix what it polluted with no cap stipulation comes from a completely separate 1991 consent order that is different from the 2004 lawsuit. He's conflating them," said Stewart, cackling manically, "because he doesn't want you to know that."

Stewart also took aim at Christie's use of a law he proposed last year to divert the Exxon damages to plug holes in the state's budget, rather than to fully repair the environmental damage.

Please go to video link below. It isn't on youtube at this point...

VIDEO LINK

This is shocking and indicative of this blatantly corrupt politician.

People who have traveled near this polluted area of Linden NJ and have smelled this polluted mess understand this issue.

Christie plans on using funds like this, something he has done in the past, to fund his budget NOT clean up the mess these corporations like Exxon have made.

TRENTON – Gov. Chris Christie's budget plan again includes language allowing most money from large environmental settlements, such as the ExxonMobil agreement, to be shifted away from cleanups and into the state's general fund.

www.app.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm actually watching this on the DVR from last night, my thumbs have a mind of their own and decided to check ATS on the commercial. Its petty political gamesmanship that leads us to this, bit it's petty lobbying and interest groups that let it happen (and us of course, those in Jersey and us around the country just shaking a fist in the air all like " I showed outrage, I'm not part of the problem")

a reply to: Willtell

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

blatantly corrupt politician

No need for redundancy please.

This is shocking

I saw nothing shocking in that link?

Politicians doing what they do best.

They did the same thing in Orlando when the Navy base was closed. They sold the high value property in a highly desired area to one of the biggest developer in the area for penny on the dollar.

edit on 28331America/ChicagoFri, 13 Mar 2015 21:28:57 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You see that’s part of the problem when evil becomes fair seeming to us.

"Nothing shocking in the link"

When it doesn’t touch us

You’re worrying about semantics

What’s your point?

You want me to say

This is wonderful

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
WARNING, I played the video at the link and got a malicious add-on warning which stopped my computer from working. Proceed at thou own risk, internet link travelers.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

You’re worrying about semantics

What’s your point?

Sorry it was an attempt at humour and sarcasm which doesn''t come across well on the Inet obviously.

I wasn't picking on your post , it was more of a statement that this cr@p is the normal and no longer shocking.

Sadly, it won't even change a thing, people overlook it as long as its their party or if their team wins tonight .

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Please go to video link below. It isn't on youtube at this point...

VIDEO LINK

Hit a short lead-in advert ... but the clip is worth the wait. LMAO

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This fricken guy is the turd that New Jersey took after a long night drinking. How in the heck do we have the worst characters in the world, in the the highest positions of power here in he USA? Sounds good mr.christie, let's say screw my own home and pollute it for life because ya know it's not like we actually live here....oh wait, so you say we do? Mighty fine job serving the public.

Let's just hope he eats a few more butter Popsicles and pollutes his own body before going on much further.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Chris Christie Settles Exxon/Mobil Case After Oil Giant Gave RGA Big Cash

Before Gov. Chris Christie’s administration abruptly settled long-running state environmental litigation against ExxonMobil for far less than originally expected, the oil behemoth donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Republican group that Christie ran and that financed his election campaigns. Additionally, the Christie administration office that engineered the settlement had been run by a former Exxon lawyer.

When the case was initiated in 2004, when Democrat James McGreevey was governor, New Jersey sought $8.9 billion in damages in a suit alleging that ExxonMobil damaged more than 1,500 acres of waterfront and meadows. Yet, according to documents reported on by the New York Times on Friday, the Christie administration is settling the suit for just $250 million. Based on ExxonMobil's 2014 revenue of $411.9 billion, it will take the company roughly 5 hours to generate the sales to pay out the settlement.

Federal records show that the reduction, which represents a huge gift to ExxonMobil, follows a wave of campaign cash from the company to the Christie-run Republican Governors Association.

yep, nearly 2 million from Exxon to the Christies group since 2009, 500K during the 2014 election cycle.

Corrupt as they get. New Jersey needs to recall Christie right now and negate this extremely bad deal he made on their behalf.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

top topics

join