It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida lawmakers push to condemn Obama's Cuba policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
From www.mynews13.com...

TALLAHASSEE -- President Barack Obama may have opened the door for Americans to travel to Cuba, but some Florida lawmakers want to slam that door shut.

It's a historic change in the way the United States looks at Cuba, a Communist island just 90 miles off Florida's coast but 50 years removed from normal diplomatic relations.

With a new White House policy, Americans don't need a permit to travel to Cuba. Now airlines can fly back and forth on a regular basis and U.S. companies can invest in Cuban businesses.

But leading Republican state lawmakers call the policy a giveaway to a terrorist regime. On Thursday, a key Florida Senate committee approved a bill to condemn President Obama's new diplomatic dialogue with Havana.

It seems like we have lawmkers who just can not accept that times have changes, the Cuba Embargo dragged out for way too long, and it is long over due for the US and Cuba to have trade and travel. Yet we still have lawmakers who are reluctant to change and are unwilling to to do what is right out of apparent willful ignorance.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
From www.mynews13.com...

TALLAHASSEE -- President Barack Obama may have opened the door for Americans to travel to Cuba, but some Florida lawmakers want to slam that door shut.

It's a historic change in the way the United States looks at Cuba, a Communist island just 90 miles off Florida's coast but 50 years removed from normal diplomatic relations.

With a new White House policy, Americans don't need a permit to travel to Cuba. Now airlines can fly back and forth on a regular basis and U.S. companies can invest in Cuban businesses.

But leading Republican state lawmakers call the policy a giveaway to a terrorist regime. On Thursday, a key Florida Senate committee approved a bill to condemn President Obama's new diplomatic dialogue with Havana.

It seems like we have lawmkers who just can not accept that times have changes, the Cuba Embargo dragged out for way too long, and it is long over due for the US and Cuba to have trade and travel. Yet we still have lawmakers who are reluctant to change and are unwilling to to do what is right out of apparent willful ignorance.

It's because Obama is behind it. That's it. That's all they need. Idiots.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

There are too many anti Castro business especially in Miami that would loose a lot of money if the tension between the US and Cuba were to become cordial and travel bands removed.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
You do know that Florida is full of Cuban voters, right? And that these voters do not like Castro, right? Sounds like Republican politicians are simply addressing the concerns of their constituents to me. I am not sure why you find this so surprising.
edit on 2015/3/13 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I was in Cuba a month ago, and of course the loosening of U.S. regulations was a hot topic with the locals. What surprised me was that they were not exactly welcoming the Americans with open arms and street spread with rose petals. Consistently, what I got was an attitude of distrust and the opinion that this was all about what is good for America...not Cuba.

But of course, they were all government plants and there's no way that I had gotten the skinny. Just wait.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Consistently, what I got was an attitude of distrust and the opinion that this was all about what is good for America...not Cuba.

This is probably the truth, we don't exactly have a track record of not having that approach to damn near anything we do.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

But of course, they were all government plants and there's no way that I had gotten the skinny. Just wait.

Or they were given their opinion by state controlled media which I find more likely. Besides, its those shifty Canadian folks you need to watch..

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

There are too many anti Castro business especially in Miami that would loose a lot of money if the tension between the US and Cuba were to become cordial and travel bands removed.

Can you please expound on this, as in how so? I'm seeing win win here. Cubans visiting and buying from Florida for instance. Would businesses be closed, employees lose jobs because jobs are transferred to Cuba? I'm just not getting it.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Bay of pigs... The losers fled to florida and have demanded we kill Castro and free Cuba ever since.

Many many years of intense hatred.

Edit: it's politics... Just not what the op assumed... Those Cuban dissidents have been dreaming of returning to rule for decades... Raising their kids on that dream.
edit on 13-3-2015 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

There are a several private militia , anti Castro charities, and businesses that profit from direct ban with Cuba.

There are numerous radio and tv shows that have been preaching what is going on at Cuba and what needs to be done and how they plan to over throw Castro as their main content and there are businesses that extort Cubans in the US by providing Alternate methods to visit family in cuba or send their family in cuba prescriptions and other stuff.

Those guys aren't going to be to happy when they can travel back and forth and exchange goods without them being the middle man.

Like they say never let a good crisis go to waste, and many didn't and capitalized on it.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Sounds like Republican politicians are simply addressing the concerns of their constituents to me. I am not sure why you find this so surprising.

Never assume it has todo with what the constituents want.

The Republican constituents believe in state rights and the republican Cuban Rubio stumped on that when he voted to make it illegal for States to Decide if they wanted to label GMO products.

The Republican constituents believe in a free market , yet the Republican party decided it was a good idea to decide who wins and looses in the market when they did the bailouts.

The Republican constituents believe in small gov't , yet the Republican party created and expanded the gov't with Homeland Security and taking away personal rights with the Patriot act.

Summary: Their is always an angle and the constituents have very little todo with it from any party.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Consistently, what I got was an attitude of distrust and the opinion that this was all about what is good for America...not Cuba.

Is that really surprising, after having decades of hearing the Cuban gov't propaganda controlled news sources?

Not to mention , put your foot in their shoes for a minute. They currently live in a house with probably 5 other families. Not great, but its a house and they have figured out how to survive within the existing system. The unknown is always feared.

Also what happens to that house and property down the road. Well the locals be able to buy it or will it be foreign investors and who has the rights to that house? Who is the rightful owner , the family that lived their before but was lucky to escape , or the family after that was thrown in jail as a political prisoner because someone accused them as being questionable? Their is a big mess coming and they probably know they are going to be the causalities.

Not to mention what about all those Cubans who left to Miama will they be able to come back an claim their property? I know its jumping the gun but either way their is a mess coming and the current Cuban locals really don't have much of a say in any of it.

Lets not forget that while Cuba is awesome for visitors as yourself , many of those local Cubans who put up a smile and act like the world is awesome go back to their little shacks in live in misery .

For being such a paradise for the locals its pretty odd, the number of them locals risk their life crossing the ocean at a chance of a better life. At the end of the day they are prisoners in a country ruled by a dictatorship who happens to get 95 -100% of the votes.
edit on 51331America/ChicagoFri, 13 Mar 2015 17:51:57 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
You do know that Florida is full of Cuban voters, right? And that these voters do not like Castro, right? Sounds like Republican politicians are simply addressing the concerns of their constituents to me. I am not sure why you find this so surprising.

Polling among the Cubans in Florida shows the same trend that it does in the rest of the US. The majority are for ties and that number has been growing since the deal. So it is kind of suprising to see them out of touch with their contituents.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Is that really surprising, after having decades of hearing the Cuban gov't propaganda controlled news sources?

So, you were there when? I am always amused at the arrogance of some disputing other people's reality to suit their own preconceptions. How about you go to Havana and report back, eh? At least I've provided that much.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

So, you were there when?

Lol, I was born there and I still have family there. I was also lucky enough to escape that paradise as a local .

I am always amused at the arrogance of some disputing other people's reality to suit their own preconceptions..

Me too.

BTW my intention was not to offend you. If I did, then I apologize for that.

I was just pointing out that what you see as a tourist is not likely an accurate representation of what the locals experience or really feel.

edit on 27331America/ChicagoFri, 13 Mar 2015 23:27:03 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

This bill still needs to be voted on by the house and senate to pass, if it even gets that far. I really hope they are not that out of touch with the constituents and the times to push this proposed bill through.

Stupider thing have happen in Florida politics. It really makes them look foolish to the rest of the world when they come with bills like this.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Not to be the R word, but It's already a melting pot of poverty and crime down here.
I'm sure this had something to do with it.

Im for it. You could cruise over for Mojitos like Collin Farrow in the unoriginal Miami Vice!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

No, you did not cause offence and I appreciate the thought. You know, I don't go there with preconceptions, but with eyes open. I wasn't grilling every Cuban that I met about this new arrangement, but it came up. There is a preconception among many conservatives and Cuban ex-pats that there is no way possible for anyone but them to venture an opinion on the subject. This was my 6th visit to Cuba, and I have also had experience with relatives in east block countries, so I have a clue. I respect your experience...but there are many who refuse to respect mine and that is why I came off a mite defensive. Lo siento, eh?

top topics

join