It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing rolls out upgrades to existing 777 fleets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Boeing recently announced that they will offer a series of upgrades that can be performed on current and older model 777's. They want to make sure that the 777 stays competitive well after the 777-x rolls out. The upgrades will give the jet a 2% - 5% fuel burn savings through a number of weight reductions, aerodynamic drag reductions and engine efficiency modifications.

“We are making improvements to the fuel-burn performance and the payload/range and, at same time, adding features and functionality to allow the airlines to continue to keep the aircraft fresh in their fleets,” says 777 Chief Project Engineer and Vice President Larry Schneider. The upgrades, many of which will be retrofittable, come as Boeing continues to pursue new sales of the current-generation twin to help maintain the 8.3-per-month production rate until the transition to the 777X at the end of the decade.

Boeing is also reducing the drag of the 777 by making a series of aerodynamic changes to the wing based on design work conducted for the 787 and, perhaps surprisingly, the long-canceled McDonnell Douglas MD-12. The most visible change, which sharp-eyed observers will also be able to spot from below the aircraft, is a 787-inspired inboard flap fairing redesign.

m.aviationweek.com...
edit on 11-3-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Upgrades include a no sale clause to Malaysian Airlines
edit on 11-3-2015 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's interesting that they're going back to the MD-12 and trying for a super critical wing.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder why? I was working on something in my company that had to do with fuel safety for several styles of aircraft,777s,C-17s,and the 787s. I can't disclose it due to a non disclosure paper I signed with the company,but I know they were all wanting it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

It's the easiest retrofit for existing aircraft. It's cheap and it works.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Since the B777 already have a ultra low drag profile it probably will be even harder to slow down on approach.
But in todays aviation fuel economy is everything.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300
Hmmmm,...

That's probably not in the best of taste.

LEE.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen
Since the B777 already have a ultra low drag profile it probably will be even harder to slow down on approach.

Yeah but they will always have flaps and gear for that. lol

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen

Spoilers will do fine.
You could even consider a smaller tail and land faster like the MD-11.
Those massive 777 engines will slow it down fast enough

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Yeah but they will always have flaps and gear for that. lol

Gear is one of the tools in the box, flaps are high drag high lift devices, overspeeding them is expensive.

Spoilers will do fine.

My experience is that spoilers are ineffective at speeds lower than 210 kts, especially on the-300.
With some flaps out one would be restricted anyway.
If the upgraded version is slicker than the current one that would be a problem.

Those massive 777 engines will slow it down fast enough

The B777 is a very good stopper once on the ground, the problem is to get down and slow down on approach.

top topics

join