It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The F-15 Eagle: How the F-22 raptor was born

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I have always loved the F-15 eagle. It is probably my favorite fighter in all of history (and I like a lot of different fighters, bombers, etc, from various nations).

What I didn't realize, is that the F-15 was actually modified with thrust vectoring, which was essentially the precursor to the F-22. This video was apparently available as early as 1989, and I had no idea it existed:

Here we see a fully modified eagle with the same thrust vectoring system that would later become incorporated into the F-22 Raptor. I am sure said system has been improved upon significantly, but it really amazed me to see this technology at work with an already working U.S fighter airframe, simply modified to support next generation technology.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did, and for those of you who knew it, it's new to me!

edit on 8-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I knew that there was thrust vectoring on the F-15, but I didn't realize that it was developed that early and implemented. I think also, at one time, thrust vectoring was proposed for the F-14, which is my favorite aircraft. But it was too costly and was never conceived.

Great video!
edit on 3/8/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

The SMTD/Active was an interesting experiment. They did all kinds of interesting things with it to prove the technologies.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Something I learned about the strike eagle. An F-15E without its Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFT) strapped to the sides of it has a better power to weight ratio than a C model. The CFTs are removed as easily as removing any major ordinance they’re just hardly ever removed in practice because there’s no need for it to play the role of Air-to-Air fighter. Its actually a better air-to-air platform than a C when stripped of those CFTs and outfitted for air-to-air roles. This fact was kept under wraps for political reasons as the F-22 was being pushed through congress at the time and the Air Force didn’t want it to be popularly known that they already had an amazing Air-to-Air fighter with the E. To solidify the mentality of it not being an air-to-air platform, they moved all the FB-111 guys into the strike eagle from the start of the program to solidify its culture as a strike platform. Pretty interesting stuff really

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Shortly after Desert Storm they had to limit the E model payload. They found that the more powerful engines were vibrating the airframe so much more in afterburner that they were starting to see micro cracking in the structure. So they limited the payload to where they could take off without afterburner until they could strengthen the structure.
edit on 3/8/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135
Something I learned about the strike eagle. An F-15E without its Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFT) strapped to the sides of it has a better power to weight ratio than a C model. The CFTs are removed as easily as removing any major ordinance they’re just hardly ever removed in practice because there’s no need for it to play the role of Air-to-Air fighter. Its actually a better air-to-air platform than a C when stripped of those CFTs and outfitted for air-to-air roles. This fact was kept under wraps for political reasons as the F-22 was being pushed through congress at the time and the Air Force didn’t want it to be popularly known that they already had an amazing Air-to-Air fighter with the E. To solidify the mentality of it not being an air-to-air platform, they moved all the FB-111 guys into the strike eagle from the start of the program to solidify its culture as a strike platform. Pretty interesting stuff really

Imagine if they were all upgraded to actives with the conforming tanks removed and a RCS reducing paint job. They could had given the f-22 more time to be deved.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Notices your avatar has a new inclusion, its not a Flanker.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick

Notices your avatar has a new inclusion, its not a Flanker.

Lol which one is new? The only thing I changed is the eagle head cause I didn't like the old one, and added the stars. The rest was there...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I'm wondering why, with the cuts to the F-22 fleet and the F-35's teething problems, there hasn't been a push from USAF brass to load up on a hundred or two Silent Eagles.

They seem like a fantastically versatile platform, a super hornet on steroids with a second man and F-35 avionics. What's not to like about that?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Untested integration, not enough RCS reduction, and it takes money away from other programs. You're essentially getting a 4.5++ fighter that could end up costing almost as much as a fifth Gen aircraft, plus several years of testing.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The SR-72 depiction I think he's talking about as the new addition. I've never noticed it on your avatar either.

top topics

join