It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explore every yard of where planes go to die in amazing resolution:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Bing Maps

Looks like Bing went out and mapped the boneyard.
It's fun to explore and see the planes there.

Rows upon rows of once-majestic aircraft are lined up in the baking heat of Arizona's Tucson desert, left abandoned to the in piles of metal.
This is where planes go to die - a 2,600-acre patch of U.S. desert where several generations of military aircraft are stored in what has been dubbed 'The Boneyard'.
Now, Microsoft's Bing has created a stunning 'megapixel' view of this eerie sight using satellite imagery that allows anyone to explore the area in unprecedented, three dimensional detail.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... d-world.html#ixzz3TBdgcCXB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 1-3-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
they moved the f-14's.
where are they?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

They cut them up for scrap back in 2007. That way no one could take parts off to send to Iran.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 3/1/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Our tax dollars at work!

You would think they would try to sell a few of those transport planes but no, not these fools we have running our government now!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Most of them are near the end of their life, and the ones that aren't are too expensive for most militaries to operate more than one if that.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If I went to a used car dealer wanting to buy a cheap car, do you think they would tell me I was looking at a clunker that wouldn't make it out to the street? No, they would take my money and include a fabulous buyer beware warranty, wouldn't they? After all, they were flown in there, they can probably fly out of there as well. LOL! Let's sell some sucker a few vintage B-52's while we are at it. LOL

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Man I'd love to spend a few days exploring that place!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

The point of the Boneyard is to supply parts for existing aircraft. They strip the ones that are there to supply existing units.

No other nation is going to buy the ones that are there.

The C-5A requires 46 man hours of maintenance pet flight hour. The B requires 16 per one. It costs almost $80,000 an hour to operate a single C-5B. A single B-52 runs almost $70,000/hour to fly. Then there's the parts problem. You can't get parts for some of them because they aren't built anymore.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I took a bus tour of this boneyard, not sure if they do it anymore. Need reservations. Across the street is the Pima air museum that you can visit anytime.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is an Amazing testament to the waste and idiocy of the American Government.

The land is wasted, good for nothing, not new homes for the homeless or a hospital for children. The planes are wasted - so much scrap metal and electronics resources just waiting for a new life - going to waste.

Thanks for the eye opening post on the failure of our Us Government! This thread can be about nothing else.

(post by JohnPhoenix removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
No, it's better to sell them to some unsuspecting sucker that thinks he is getting a bargain. Sell them to drug dealers. Hell, we are paying for their overhead anyway.

a reply to: JohnPhoenix

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

How are you going to make new parts when the tooling to make them was destroyed many years ago? By their nature, airplanes break. Some more than others. You're going to scrap the whole airplane because one or two parts broke and you don't want to take a perfectly functional part from an older airplane and put it in the newer one?

No wonder our planes crash? If you knew anything about military aviation you'd know that mechanical failures are not an overwhelming percentage of plane and helicopter crashes.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

edit on 3/1/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

What is really neat about this particular map is that it also includes the Pima Aviation Museum. Just across the street from the south end of the runway.

Lots of old and rare aircraft there. Every time I'm in AZ I have to find the time to swing by there. Fascinating place.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Any saucer shaped craft down there?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
In the NE corner of this picture is a lady laying naked in her lawn-chair in the back yard. Technology...wow!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Good res on google earth too

32°09'44.01" N 110°50'09.08" W

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Many of the F-4 Phantom's will fly again and they make great QF-4s drones.
www.airforce-technology.com...
Then comes the QF-16 Falcon drones.
www.fastcompany.com...

The graveyard for many of the navy ones was the China Lake NAWS test ranges

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

The last of the QF-4s has flown. That's one reason for the switch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join