It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electromagnetic and acoustic supersonic drag reduction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

He was mentioning ultrasound to describe how it lowers drag. He then said and now they do it with light. I believe he was referring to systems like what MBKennel and I have links to above.

The infrasound he mentioned as a defensive system. But went the direction of infrasound makes people cower in fear and not approach the craft. I believe he was alluding to something else regarding an interesting trick you can do with infrasound. Which I suppose is technically defensive, but also not.

As for the thread title. Any thoughts as to the links the OP posted. ultrasound to reduce drag similar to how plasma can.

Or how bout the link I posted? Using pulsed lasers and microwaves to create plasma clouds at specific places around the craft to move around the pressure waves the air creates. In the Princeton link it talks about creating a small plasma bloom directly in front of the aircraft's nose. The plasma doesn't come in contact with the aircraft but deflects the bow shockwave around the aircraft to reduce drag. It says that to maintain an aircraft at hypersonic speeds with the effect vs without it a 40% reduction in out put required. So if you had to turn your engine to 100% output to get it to maintain mach 5 or so with out the effect, the engine with the effect could maintain the same speed and be idled down to 60% thrust or power output. That saves gas, increases range, loiter time, and speed potentially. One makes you wonder if you can maintain mach 6 with the effect and only be at 60 % thrust output what can it really get up to when it wants to dash. (granted it can take the heat and for how long)

It then goes on to say a second laser/microwave beam rig can be used to create a plasma bloom right in front of the engine inlet. Creating an "virtual" extended engine cowling that can force even more air into the inlet than normal. You can steer this plasma bloom to be at the distance you desire infront of the inlet and manipulate the degree of extra air that is being forced into the engine. A virtual supercharger. for the engine. Wonder if you can even force a scramjet or ramjet like condition with the virtual inlet cowling.

Ad some of this:

www.princeton.edu...

(Add plasma actuators in a ring around the exhaust nozzle of the jet that pulse at frequencies in relation to the engine's gasses turbulance and it smooths it right out, greatly reducing noise. Bet people who live by an airport would love this tech to go civilian. )

and you have heavily reduced the exhaust noise of the aircraft's engines. no more rumbling from somewhere over head tipping you off that a bird is in the area.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

One of the major limitations for hypersonics is frictional heating of the surface. If you can mitigate this then you have more freedom in your material choices. If 'locally' the air is only going Mach 2 even though it's Mach 5 over the ground, then you can use standard materials which you know work on Mach 2 and you have a factory for.

Maybe it's like an aerospike (needle point on nose of supersonic craft) to move the shock off the craft, but one which doesn't push back on the craft.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Yep if the aero spike is really a laser coming out constantly a "C" then it can alleviate a lot of engineering problems.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

And suppose you adopt a flying wing-style airframe and place plasma
-generating the full length of the leading edge?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

In the link it is very specifically narrated as an Ultrasound beam that forms a low drag corridor in the near distance.
These "beams" would need to be very energetic so I was just pointing out that if you got in the way of one ( i.e during a malfunction as suggested in Cash-Landrum or Rendlesham for example) you might think you have been irradiated when in fact you have actually been subject to a massive ultrasound-ing.

It's all a bit far fetched for my liking but it's pretty obvious the ability to change fundamental energetic interactions to our advantage will undoubtedly be a continuing part of many technologies.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

In regards to you above post.

First paragraph. Def a possibility.

Second Paragraph. You're into Plasmonics too and I totally agree with what you typed. It's going to be the next big thing in human tech. Meta materials and plasmonic sciences will be like going into the iron age from the stone age. Skipping the bronze age altogether. In 100 years people will be wondering how we all lived with out it. Kinda like how we wonder what life was like before plastic or electricity even.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I'd attach alternators to the turbines to power that leading edge, and I'd put the opposite charge out the exhaust like a flame jet generator (kinda like a tesla coils conveyor belt ) and kick up that circuits E potential to millions of volts.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

They must have something in orbit bombarding he country so we can be sick and controllable.
Haven't you noticed how forgetful people have become?

If they are using ultrasound how do you transmit it from an orbital platform in a vacuum?

I would put down peoples forgetfulness to a combination of the explosion in exposure to vast quantities of information, coupled with Gen Y (and the noughtie's) obsession/dependance on information technology and the web. Google and Wikipedia have a lot to answer for.

LEE.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

That's spot on. On my lunch break I watched some guy texting while walking down the sidewalk walk into traffic and almost get hit. Took a car screeching to a halt and nearly missing him to get his attention. Didn't even notice he wasn't on a sidewalk anymore but in the middle of Wilshire Blvd.

I doubt the govt has to do anything other than recommend the top 40 to listen to and the net IQ of the population drops like it's in free fall.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Works fine if the ultrasound is for drag reduction. As long as it has some sort of non-airbreathing propulsion and control system then it shouldn't have any problems in vacuum.

The other concept of using using it to create vacuum corridors that propel your craft with pressure gradients, that one definitely isn't gonna get you out of the atmosphere.

As to the second point, don't forget about nonexistent attention spans either. I think we'd all benefit from a little less constant sensory/information overload.

Also yay, someone else you uses (n)oughties!
edit on 4-3-2015 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ah yes, Darwin's theory of species selection at work.

Actually its no joke that pedestrian accident and death rates have increased measurably in recent years principally because of smartphone hypnotism. Maybe THAT is how they are controlling us?

LEE.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: framedragged

Works fine if the ultrasound is for drag reduction. As long as it has some sort of non-airbreathing propulsion and control system then it shouldn't have any problems in vacuum.

No my point was that cavtrooper7 said there was possibly an orbiting satellite using ultrasound and that isn't generally possible. For sound waves to propagate you need a medium, either a solid, liquid or gas. Given that an orbiting satellite is in a vacuum the theory doesn't work.

The only possibility and the reason I stated "isn't generally possible" instead of totally impossible, is if you could use a specific wavelength laser to excite air molecules in order to produce sound waves and therefore (presumably) ultrasound. However it would need to be very, very precise and probably extremely high power in order to propagate all the way down through the atmosphere to have measurable effect at ground level.

I think it far more likely though that you can use it to cancel out pressure waves and therefore supersonic shock immediately around an aircraft to make it vastly more efficient and quiet. Doing so and cancelling out 95-98% of drag in the process means you could propel a craft to mach 5-6+ with almost no airframe heating and with engines producing only 5-10 thousand pounds of thrust. I think THAT is the end goal of this research, not mind control.

LEE.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: framedragged
Ahh you made a third point.... thingy. But I lost focus and forget what it was.

...... Oh well, back to some YouTube cat videos. Hehehe

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Old post i know.

But I used to work as a watch maker and we had an Ultrasonic Cleaner that we used to power out tough dirt and grime from watch cases and bracelets.

I can confirm that sticking you hand in the ultrasonic cleaning machine would hurt.

So yeah. Ultrasonic waves can be dangerous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join