It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Hawkins-Christian Cuss Words (Words like Crud and Shut The Front Door) LOL

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: Anyafaj

To be completely honest, that's why I did not mean to say, or use the term "christian" in my original statement here.

"Polite society" refrains from the use of "bad words". Intellectuals will often say something to the effect of "well, but we have the CAPACITY to use better words for communication"

I just don't see the reason to make something taboo. The more taboo you make it, the more likely you are to have interest in it.

Boil it down. It's a word. A word that is comprised of an intellectual agreement and understanding based upon a set sound that is entirely dependent upon the presence of vocal chords and our atmosphere (chemical makeup as well as gravitation). I just find it difficult for this to be something to be worried over.

As a child taboo is much more interesting. I know. I swore up a storm as a kid and got the dish soap in the mouth, horseradish with tape over the mouth and forced to hold it in without swallowing, you name it. And my parents, the biggest people to swear on the planet, act shocked when they hear me swear. "Where did you hear such foul language?" Duh from you two morons! But you can't say that as a kid. Because then you're really up a creek without a paddle. I don't pretend to be innocent with my daughter. I KNOW I've made mistakes and where I've made them. And I work on correcting them as I go along.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Keeping the language down is mainly important around kids until they get the hang of controlling when, where and how language should be used and why.

I simply call it polite language ... or professional language, not Christian language.

My favorite lately has been "not helping" when I would ordinarily tell a cat to get the eff off or out of the way or something. Now the kiddo has picked that up.

We started curbing language when one cat jumped on my husbnad's bare legs with claws out and he said, "Damn it!" and the 3-year-old picked that up and it become his new favorite phrase in all ways and modulations for about two weeks everywhere, including the family dress THanksgiving meal.
Awkward!

And then my aunt started the new family joke that our son thought we had two cats with three names "Stop it! Get down! and Damn it!"
edit on 23-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Keeping the language down is mainly important around kids until they get the hang of controlling when, where and how language should be used and why.

I simply call it polite language ... or professional language, not Christian language.

My favorite lately has been "not helping" when I would ordinarily tell a cat to get the eff off or out of the way or something. Now the kiddo has picked that up.

We started curbing language when one cat jumped on my husbnad's bare legs with claws out and he said, "Damn it!" and the 3-year-old picked that up and it become his new favorite phrase in all ways and modulations for about two weeks everywhere, including the family dress THanksgiving meal.
Awkward!

And then my aunt started the new family joke that our son thought we had two cats with three names "Stop it! Get down! and Damn it!"

LOL Growing up in our house, with us kids, our favorite phrase was "Not Me", "I didn't do it!", I didn't anything!" My father used to say he was going to start including them on his tax return since they apparently lived in the house with us. LOL

One running joke with my ex a lot in the early years of our marriage was "Talk to the hand". That is until one day, I just put my hand up, I didn't say anything. Then my 2 yr old pipes up from the backseat, "Hand, Dadda." LOL He just laughed and said, "That's enough out of the peanut gallery."

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Great, now my neighbor thinks there's a dying horse in my apartment.
I'm a fan of this guy, thanks to an Ex.

And, while humorous to the point where tears are flowing, I noticed that several of those were true on. I still remember that there was a friend that was deeply devoted to the Church. She would never swear, but she came close several times (many of the one's Tim said were part of her vocabulary).

Well worth the watch - it must have been some of his newer material, as I didn't see this one before (Side note, he's a lot more funny in person).

-fossilera

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

Great, now my neighbor thinks there's a dying horse in my apartment.
I'm a fan of this guy, thanks to an Ex.

And, while humorous to the point where tears are flowing, I noticed that several of those were true on. I still remember that there was a friend that was deeply devoted to the Church. She would never swear, but she came close several times (many of the one's Tim said were part of her vocabulary).

Well worth the watch - it must have been some of his newer material, as I didn't see this one before (Side note, he's a lot more funny in person).

-fossilera

I'm very glad you enjoyed it and it happened to be one you hadn't seen as well. My day is complete if it put a smile on your face! That's my mission in life. Help others, and leave everyone with a smile.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Unfortunately my hubby swears more than using any real words. And as soon as our daughter could talk she started using the same swear words. I have to admit the first few times I burst out laughing, it was so unexpected and a shock. But it sounded horrendous and so ugly.

He says now, "Where did she pick up these words?" As if it's shocking to him. Makes me so mad.

I have chosen not to swear as I grew up in an abusive home and those kinds of words meant terror to me. My daughter (going on 15) thinks I should swear and thinks it odd I don't. I tell her constantly it sounds ugly coming out of her pretty face. Don't get me wrong - swear words these days don't bother me BUT when it's all one can say to express themselves for everything it's pathetic. I tell her it's a lazy way of expressing herself and there are better and a huge variety of words she could use instead of "F**K" all the time. I swear some days all I hear is "F**K".

So I agree they are only words but who wants to be around someone that sounds angry all the time or who can't say anything but the same word like a mindless parrot.

Just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ccseagull

Unfortunately my hubby swears more than using any real words. And as soon as our daughter could talk she started using the same swear words. I have to admit the first few times I burst out laughing, it was so unexpected and a shock. But it sounded horrendous and so ugly.

He says now, "Where did she pick up these words?" As if it's shocking to him. Makes me so mad.

I have chosen not to swear as I grew up in an abusive home and those kinds of words meant terror to me. My daughter (going on 15) thinks I should swear and thinks it odd I don't. I tell her constantly it sounds ugly coming out of her pretty face. Don't get me wrong - swear words these days don't bother me BUT when it's all one can say to express themselves for everything it's pathetic. I tell her it's a lazy way of expressing herself and there are better and a huge variety of words she could use instead of "F**K" all the time. I swear some days all I hear is "F**K".

So I agree they are only words but who wants to be around someone that sounds angry all the time or who can't say anything but the same word like a mindless parrot.

Just my thoughts

I kind of agree with you. I grew up in a sometimes abusive, and sometimes alcoholic household. There was constantly fighting and swearing and sometimes hitting. A word here and there isn't a problem, but when it's constant, I don't like it. Especially used in anger. My ex was extremely emotionally and verbally abusive. And yes, swore a lot! I used to think my name was wh*re. Or c**t. Just the words I want my daughter to learn. I still don't know why I never left. I think fear, mostly.

Now it's just me and my daughter, and I can guide her better, which I've been doing. if she uses a word I think is inappropriate for her, I just have a gentle talk with her as to why I find it offensive for her. I don't berate her like her father does. I treat her with respect. So far this approach has worked with her. She's 19 and autistic, so some, she's set in her ways, and some I just have to keep repeating. But I will keep working on her, and prove to her, that if I can do it, so can she.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Good for you for leaving period! You did the best you could at the time and grew stronger. I think this shows how strong you were/are. Well done!

I'm the same. Grew up in a very verbal/physical/spiritual/mental abusive home. I always say the only abuse missing was sexual abuse. In any case I was told how to think, what to think and who to be. My choices were taken away and I was like a living doll being told what I was going to do with my life and put through the motions.

I have raised my daughter to have her own voice and to be independent. She has anxiety of all sorts and adhd and I want her to learn to use her mind about how handle life and emotions. You can have emotions but you don't have to react without thought when experiencing them. This has been our biggest area to work on with her.

My thought is whether autistic or adhd or asperger's it doesn't make the person any weaker or bad or dysfunctional, it just means they learn and behave differently and sometimes need more work at growing into a whole functioning (within themselves first, and then society) person. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for some. Some need specific self markers, reminders but it will come. One just has to find what works for them specifically. I totally get what you're saying and good on you for the method you have chosen.

It's too easy for anyone, let alone those who have to work a little harder, to give in and take the easy way out. Again, I don't mind swearing but I have also found some people like to take specific jabs at others by using the most socially profane words they can think of because they know it will hurt. And when I observe people doing this I just think of what a revelation it is of the inner mind of the person doing this. So sometimes foul words really do reveal the ugly interior. That's what I don't like. Otherwise yeah, they're just words. I have been around people that have strung together a bunch of crude words in a funny situation and it has made me burst out laughing. And then using the same words but with gritted teeth and red face I feel terror inside. Words do have power, it's all how you use them.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ccseagull

Good for you for leaving period! You did the best you could at the time and grew stronger. I think this shows how strong you were/are. Well done!

I'm the same. Grew up in a very verbal/physical/spiritual/mental abusive home. I always say the only abuse missing was sexual abuse. In any case I was told how to think, what to think and who to be. My choices were taken away and I was like a living doll being told what I was going to do with my life and put through the motions.

I have raised my daughter to have her own voice and to be independent. She has anxiety of all sorts and adhd and I want her to learn to use her mind about how handle life and emotions. You can have emotions but you don't have to react without thought when experiencing them. This has been our biggest area to work on with her.

My thought is whether autistic or adhd or asperger's it doesn't make the person any weaker or bad or dysfunctional, it just means they learn and behave differently and sometimes need more work at growing into a whole functioning (within themselves first, and then society) person. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for some. Some need specific self markers, reminders but it will come. One just has to find what works for them specifically. I totally get what you're saying and good on you for the method you have chosen.

It's too easy for anyone, let alone those who have to work a little harder, to give in and take the easy way out. Again, I don't mind swearing but I have also found some people like to take specific jabs at others by using the most socially profane words they can think of because they know it will hurt. And when I observe people doing this I just think of what a revelation it is of the inner mind of the person doing this. So sometimes foul words really do reveal the ugly interior. That's what I don't like. Otherwise yeah, they're just words. I have been around people that have strung together a bunch of crude words in a funny situation and it has made me burst out laughing. And then using the same words but with gritted teeth and red face I feel terror inside. Words do have power, it's all how you use them.

Exactly! I raised my daughter to be very strong and independent! Whenever I was teaching her to be independent, my ex would get so mad, and yet, if I babied her, he'd get mad. I don't think he knew what he wanted! To him, 19 is too young for her to have a cell phone! So as I said, he doesn't know what he wants. I think it's all about control and whether he has it. I want her to have independence because there's not always going to be a Mommy and Daddy around to help her think and make her decisions. So I want her to learn to make decisions for herself. If she were any regular young adult, she would be doing this already. So why he's upset, again, control. I also want her to have independence because it's something I didn't have much of at her age, and it's something she should have. I don't mind her saying a word or two here and there. But expand your vocabulary. She has an incredible gift for words and spelling, so I say foster that gift and use it. Why not, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join