It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVELY upgraded LHC Ready to hunt down MYSTERY Dark Matter Particles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm not an expert on this area. But I'm posting just for informational purpose.
-----------------------------------

An upgraded, more powerful Large Hadron Collider, slated to begin returning to service next month, should open the door to new realms of physics, including possibly a glimpse of so-called “dark matter” particles, which, along with an equally mysterious dark energy force, dominate the universe.

Dark matter is so named because it does not emit or absorb light -- or any other electromagnetic radiation. Its presence is inferred by how its gravity impacts stars, galaxies, dust and other visible matter.

Scientists calculate that ordinary, visible matter accounts for about 5 percent of the universe. The rest is dark matter and a repulsive force called dark energy, which is accelerating the universe’s expansion.

“What we know about dark matter is that it exists, and then very little after that,” physicist Michael Williams, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told Discovery News.

www.disclose.tv...
edit on 21/2/15 by masqua because: trimmed big quote and added a link

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

I predict they will find no mysterious "Dark Matter particles" (I think the secret of dark matter is to be solved with particles already discovered) - but I hail their try! I will be happy to be proven wrong.

S&F

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I've heard the magnetic feild created will be significanty more powerful than that of the earth, i wonder if it will have a effect. Youtuber btearthwatch seems to think so, but I think that is due to his interpretation of the bible end times.

It really is some machine!

I doubt they will find anything the ancients did not know already, but have no doubt they will call it their own discovery. It will just be scientifically confirmed in a new language should they hit the jackpot!
edit on 20-2-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

Operation of the LHC will not result in the end of the World.

The energy of the particle being accelerated is in the order of Tera-electronVolts - the kinetic energy of a small insect in flight.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I know it won't be the end of the world! But depending on what they find, it could have the potential to change everything!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'm with you on this one.

What happens within the ring????

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I actually bet they will find no new "dark matter" particle.

But if they do, I can't wait to see what properties these particles will have!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jazz10

What happens within the ring????

A magnetic field is created so to push the tiny particle inside it up to near the speed of light.

Just quit using your phone near the LHC, that's all.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
And thats the effect in the middle of the rings?
What about above ground level and below? To what depth and height?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jazz10

Might as well entertain! It gets deep though!

Lol

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jazz10
And thats the effect in the middle of the rings?
What about above ground level and below? To what depth and height?

Let me check...

-The strenght of the LHC magnetic field is listed at 8.33 Tesla
(source: www.lhc-closer.es...),

-whereas a typical loudspeaker magnet is listed at 1 Tesla
(source: en.m.wikipedia.org...(unit) ).

So. The LHC is magnetically as dangerous as 8 loudspeakers' magnets. That is, if cars have around 4 loudspeakers, then the LHC is as dangerous as two cars parked next to each other.

As for the strenght distance, it diminishes with the inverse square of the distance.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
ok wey that settles it.
No need to build that faraday cage then.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

That bloke is a bit of a nut. Of course religion is going to be opposed to anything like this. Science progresses through logic, reason, experimentation and testing. All of which are discouraged and forbidden by religion because superstition falls to pieces when the above are applied to it.

Humans capable of destroying the entire universe? Oh come on. Get your hugely inflated egos in check. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure most people have seen that video that shows the earth in proportion to the sun, in proportion to varying sizes of stars and galaxies. In short we are a microscopic grain of sand in the cosmos, and even if we did manage to destroy planet earth, it would have a negligible impact on the universe. We really are nothing, and I do not doubt that life is abundant throughout the universe, and if this planet were to go boom then there would be other life probably doing a better job with their planet.

Personally, I would like to remain optimistically cautious. Nobody ever gets anywhere without taking risks, and these people I hope have calculated the risks and would not knowingly and willingly do anything that would put the planet in any actual danger.

Unless of course there are psychopaths pulling their strings. Which is of course possible. We after all have nuclear weapons. We live in an age where the environment takes second place to profit. There are some real nut jobs and outright evil people in positions of power and influence who are either plain greedy, or would like to believe they are important in the grand scheme of things and attempt to fulfill those bogus prophecies.

But my optimism flies out of the window when I consider would they really build something so big and expensive without a way to profit from it? While I do not doubt there are individuals working there who are devoting their lives to the true advancement of science and the human race, the people in charge are not.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
I'm not an expert on this area. But I'm posting just for informational purpose.
You don't have to be an expert to comment, and you should make more comments than that when starting a thread. Also, you should provide a link to the material you quoted.

I'm not an expert either but a dark matter experiment expert wrote a thread on ATS and I read it. It was about one of the dark matter experiments mentioned in this Scientific American article:

Dark Matter Search Enters Round 2

The three experiments moving forward—the Super Cryogenic Dark Matter Search–SNOLAB (SuperCDMS); LZ Dark Matter Experiment, or LUX–ZEPLIN, (LZ); and the Axion Dark Matter eXperiment (ADMX–Gen2)—are among the largest and longest-running projects in the field.
Notice, the LHC is not even mentioned.

I don't know all the details but I have some idea of how those dark matter experiments work, and I have some idea of how the LHC works, and the design of the LHC is a different than those famous dark matter experiments, so this claim that the LHC is now a dark matter experiment is a bit puzzling.

The LHC has other purposes of course, but if you want to learn about dark matter experiments, I suggest reading the link I posted. I can't learn anything from your link as you didn't post one, and even the huge quote you cited doesn't explain exactly HOW the dark matter search will be conducted at the LHC.

edit on 20-2-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I predict they will find no mysterious "Dark Matter particles"

I wonder how they plan to know? What do you see in the chamber when you get dark matter? No trails at all?

"Hey, where did the damn PROTONS go?"

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wifibrains

I've heard the magnetic feild created will be significanty more powerful than that of the earth...

So is a refrigerator magnet, for that matter.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I predict they will find no mysterious "Dark Matter particles" (I think the secret of dark matter is to be solved with particles already discovered) - but I hail their try! I will be happy to be proven wrong.

S&F

Many times it's what you don't find that ends up being significant. Also all the things they do find they may not have been looking for.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The Earth is also signifigantly larger than a fridge magnet or LHC, But that's obvious lol.

Even if the magnetic force is greater in certain spots of the Earth * Example, your fridge* Does not mean it will overpower the unfathomable ammount of particles outside of the magnetic fridge each contributing their own varying levels of magnetic force, Low magnetic surface areas increase the potencial pull or *gravity* of an object base on its volume mass density. The core generates a large enough feild to create an outer ring which reaches farther than the planets surface, Tho this feild isn't as strong as the magnet as the strong force acts when an object is closer upon the weak force which has greater strenths at a distance than the strong force which acts positivly, where as the weak force acts negatively. Tho both forces are present, The differences between push and pull is amplified by the magnetic *rings* or spheres around object itself. Which collectively is a network of magnetic *rings*. The ring is caused by 2 forces meeting together and repelling upon a variable action which causes entropy to trigger in the laws of therodynamics forcing particles to rebalence themselves (As long as the sub-atomic particles are stable) In the case of sub-atomic particles such as protons electrons or neutrons.

No proton is the same as another proton, As each individual particle has it's own threshold of energy conservation and reaction potencial. Within the subs- are smaller particles which themselves have their own set *stats*. This is why particles do not decay all at the same time and why circumstances vary. It is possible to reuse water multipul times to the point where it is no longer water. Water or H20 however takes a long time since its such a stable particle and also our enviroment itself sustains the development of H20 for the time being.

These experiments and the upgrades they added however should shed some light on the misunderstood phenomenon that is magnetism, and how it weirdly creates all of our existance, from Dark matter and energy to the mass that makes up Earth ect.

Basically it's the flow of energy, And energy can become waves. Waves can turn into mass and mass can become unresponsive to waves in which it becomes a medium for waves and mass to travel with set guidelines, as the guidelines are set by the medium. Which forces mass to follow along specified trajectory and reduced velocity which triggers the universe we see today.

if there was no medium, then there should be no reduction in velocity as velocity is fed by output of an energy source transfering to movement. Energy can be depleted so energy must be created in order to Exist. In technicallty even energy is kind of physical in the sense that it exists and is very much an object however since we are flesh bone and blood we define an object (collectively as humans) as something that has defined borders such as a square sphere triangle ect. But even Air, which is a transtion of mass between its states is still an object, comparing it to waves, Which air itself can act as a wave since all mass (As far as we know) can achieve all of these states tho we may define mass more specifically for its temperture variablity rather than the actual mass itself. We do so to better classify tho in the scheme of things classification may dominate over synchonizing attributes that pre-exist and can only become discoveries at a later date.

Basically mass cannot contain energy unless it's been charged with it. You cannot charge something without having a channel open for energy to be transfered, energy is moving particles. Particles follow along magnetic paths, And so are carried by the flow of the *Current*. Particles can be charged in specific magnetic spectrums as well! It is possible to charge particles in the negative spectrum, Which is the weak force. Or say the positive spectrum which is the strong force. Or objects can be neutrally charged but usually when that happens it alters other particles around it by stealing electrons and projecting ionized protons in the form of gamma-rays.

But i guess either or is useable as a means of channeling forces for matter transformation degeneration expansion or excelleration.

Basically these experimental upgrades will increase the availabilty of studying some of these effects. However the magnitism generated as explained would have to be signifigantly higher for the strong force generated by the HLC to reach a Lethal range and would require an energy source strong enough to destroy the planet by itself lol relatively speaking. It would have to be as powerful as the Earths core exploding, as magnetic force is all about channeling and ossilation. if A current is cut or changed it can have exciting effects. Ask an electrician who works on power lines that question and he/she will give you a great answer. However i am not an electrician so i don't have a great answer for you but i can guess he would say something like it's the difference between being flung into the air, Clinging to a wire and BBQing, or having it run through you to your feet. How charge is displaces into location and the potencial carrying capaticty of mass effects the flow of channeled mass. Which is why dirt seems like it's not very magnetic. However those forces are still there pulling

People call that pulling force generated in such a way as *Gravity*

Hopefully HLC will not only shed some light on *Phusdo Science* magnetism by using Phusdo science in order to turn Phusdo science into official textbook *The world is now Round* type science.

I'm just an Armchair professior tho with a P.H.D in lazyboy recliners. Meaning i haz no formal education in any of this.
But i do enjoy commenting on forums like i know what i'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So LHC is going to find something that resides in the time domain? Lotsa luck LHC, you wont find it.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
So in march a lot of ppl will be sick and don't know from what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join