It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned farmhouse in Welsh countryside found frozen in time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Great Find. S&F

Time to boast...

As an American who has traveled the Welsh Countryside I have stumbled across many old dwellings. I once befriended a family that lived in a 900 year old monk house. It was small. Two floors nonetheless.

What is more amazing is that it really shows how young the US is. The homes that I have been into in the UK and Europe are older than any structures in the US by many years.

The whole world evolved while the Americas stayed untouched and primitive (outsiders POV).

Then the Spanish arrived.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: DjembeJedi
To me, the portable radios on the right of the map say "60's".
The 50's could not get them that small.

Really?

Some of the comments leave me shaking my head....

Transistor Radio

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Cool pictures...looks staged to me too
Check out the pic w the watches. There is major dust buildup on the trunk handle, but the surrounding items are clean...especially the pocket watches. Check out the reflection off of the glass on them.
Nice pictures, none the less...Id like to explore the property. Anyone know the year of that Range Rover?

Did you not read the part that said the pocket watches were found in a drawer?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
overall it looks really cool, but i don't know man it looks fake, as in staged, everything seems to have been set up for best visual impact, the one with the glasses especially.
Still, beautiful photography though!

If the house had really been abandoned, everything would have been covered in cobwebs, soot, dust and mold. It's remarkable that there's none of these, and that the items fill the picture in perfectly.

Now I remember why I don't visit ATS much anymore....

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I don't doubt items may have been rearranged to be more visually appealing but that place is genuine imo. I've seen a lot of interiors that look better than that (and in America too where raccoons, mice, rats and the like move in within years). It all depends on the environment.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner
OK, OK, the internet has everything.
I was just drawing on my memories of when our big family valve radio was replaced by the portable transistor variety.
If that old memory was not representative, it's not the end of the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

i still stand with my post on the date of 1953 , my father worked at mullards at the time as a glass mixer and he had ordered them through staff discount .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

it is a landrover series 1 and the eariest date for that reg was may 1958 , if you are interested i think it would take quite a bit of restoration .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wish I could live somewhere that secluded

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

yes that was my first thought too , i would love to restore that cottage and since i am retired i could spend as much time on it as i like , well i can dream can't i

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse
If the content has been re-arranged, for photography purposes, that doesn't stop it from being genuine content.
Sourcing all those detailed items and dragging them up there just for the sake of a set of pictures would have been too much effort.
No doubt the pocket watches, for example, would not have been left in the one place, but who could easily gather together such a collection and take them up there?

On the contrary, that is a violation of journalistic ethics. It was presented as being photographed as it was found and it wasn't.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
My Great gran who was born in 1897 had a very similar photo of her parents on her wall, her mum was wearing little round metal spectacles in the photo.

She also had an old Georgian house with stone stairs and an old cold store larder with old bottles and tins stored that looked like that, probably from the 50s.

I remember reading a recipe book from her bookcase from the 1800's, things like ''jugged hare'' and ''blackbird pie''.
edit on 12-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
there was no broken windows because of its location , hard to reach, its kids or teens that like to smash windows
the only people that would venture up there would be ramblers not vandals .

i don't know why people would think that its fake because this is not the first time a property has been discovered locked in the past and abandoned , there was one not long ago in Accrington lancashire but this time it was a shop close to the town centre .

I suggest that you look at the Daily Mail photos. Several show the condition in which a house abandoned this long would look. The rest show the phony arrangements. It's very obvious.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

i have been in the construction industry all my working life and some of that time i was involved in the restoration of all types property and some had been abandoned for 50 years like this property and please believe me if the roof and windows were still intact very little decay would happen , even the damp coarse on these type of properties was of slate or lead and slate never fails unless there was movement , decay in a building starts with the ingress of water the dry rot and wet rot both feed on water and from just a small source of water in one area, the rot can travel through a building in a short space of time . in this case there does not show any evidence of water ingress .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
i would not take much notice of the daily mail its obvious they would be looking graphic examples .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

i have been in the construction industry all my working life and some of that time i was involved in the restoration of all types property and some had been abandoned for 50 years like this property and please believe me if the roof and windows were still intact very little decay would happen , even the damp coarse on these type of properties was of slate or lead and slate never fails unless there was movement , decay in a building starts with the ingress of water the dry rot and wet rot both feed on water and from just a small source of water in one area, the rot can travel through a building in a short space of time . in this case there does not show any evidence of water ingress .

OK, but if you look at the entire set of photos in the link provided by the OP you will see dry rot, rust, and very heavy dust in some areas of the house whereas you will see no evidence of either in the staged photos. I'm sure you'll agree that it's not possible for items to sit in the open for decades and not accumulate a heavy layer of dust. We're expected to believe that even an open box of watercolor paints has not accumulate heavy dust. If you take the time to look at the photos in that link, please give me your honest impression.

edit on 12-2-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

ok i took another look at the photos , i did not see any rot what i did see was dead flies on the window bottom sash or the remains of a spiders dinner , the absence of heavy dust is easy to explain away , if you was about to take a photo of objects that had heavy dust on them i am sure you would simply waft a card or news paper over it first so as to get a clearer photo
photographers are not forensic scientists all they want is a good picture.

i am not trying to be pedantic but if you look again and with regards as to what i have said , i think you will see that i am making sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Should be easy to check the license plate or the VIN number on the Range Rover in order to find out who possibly lived there. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Not disputing that it might be faked (heck, how should I know?) but why would anyone go to the trouble...for the sake of a so-so news item?

Any of you actually been to Wales?

Abandoned buildings in pretty good nick aren't exactly unique.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What a wonderful thread! Thank you. I enjoyed it immensely.

btw: I also think the photographer might have arranged the items together for the purpose of making the photo more inclusive, and attractive. Not thinking whatsoever that it was all staged.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join