It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart to leave Daily Show

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Balls, now there is no actual news shows on tv.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

edit on 11-2-2015 by dreamingawake because: editing...

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I heard this earlier and I have to say that even though he's remarkable for sticking with it for such a long time and I don't blame him for whatever reasons he might have for wanting to wrap it up, I nevertheless feel a sense of loss and will miss him. I just hope that his recent success as a film maker doesn't entice him to move somewhere uniquely behind the camera. I didn't always tune in to him, but his show has been so much on the ball so darn often. Let's face it, he and his writers have known brilliance.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Balls, now there is no actual news shows on tv.

Were there any to begin with?
Newsotainment with clickbait headlines regurgitated incessantly.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Jon Stewart to leave Daily Show

Don't worry. I'm sure there are plenty of left leaning biased comedians who can take his place. DC is full of 'em. Heck, maybe they'll get funky and put in a right leaning biased comedian. DC is full of them as well. Plenty to choose from.

edit on 2/11/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I like Stewart at times, but lately he has had a tendency to shoehorn Democratic ideals into his shows like they are the only good ideas to have. I liked Colbert better, he was better at staying more non-partisan.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: ketsuko

Puhlease. Daily Show is commentary. Fox is commentary. MSNBC is commentary. CNN is commentary. Some are just more just more rigorous and/or culturally relevant than others.

Hell, does straight news even exist anymore?

I

I know a lot wont like it cause its Glenn Beck, but THe Blaze is good IMHO

Beck has gone through alot of changes over the last 3 years

I think his network does pretty good.

Theyve been very anti establishment anti GOP and pushing hard people for 3rd party candidates and to get out from under the GOP banner.....

Its a nice change
edit on 2/11/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I like Stewart at times, but lately he has had a tendency to shoehorn Democratic ideals into his shows like they are the only good ideas to have. I liked Colbert better, he was better at staying more non-partisan.

Couldn't agree more, I used to really like The Daily Show but in the last few years he has turned into nothing but a leftist shill. I cannot stand either political party, so I'm not just some conservative that gets mad about his views on things, but it isn't just comedy. It's political party pushing, when democrats screw up his response is "oh how funny, but that's how it is" when republicans screw up it's "OMG guys, these republicans are evil and out of their minds"

To be clear I agree that republicans are evil and out of their minds, but so are the democrats. His bias has become incredibly obvious in the last few years. I noticed it most after he went to the middle east for his movie, and John Oliver filled in for him. I loved Oliver, it was the funny light but still informative Daily Show I remember. When Stewart came back I stopped watching, his bias and demoshilling became painfully obvious and uncomfortable to watch.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I must admit being from the UK I have only discovered the show (through ATS) in the last 6 months or so and I love it.
Sorry to see him go any news on who is replacing him? or who would you think could follow him? hard act to follow...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
This saddens me. Losing Colbert, losing Stewart..... who is left to point out the hypocrisy in politics, celebrities, news items? I know there is the opinion that Stewart was a tool of the Left, but I think he pointed out hypocrisy on both sides, its just that.... there are some easy targets out there on the Right.... like the politician in one of the Carolinas that thinks washing of hands by restaurant workers after using the toilet was government sticking itself into other people's business and saying the market would work it out. Okay, so not always hypocrisy, sometimes just plain old idiocy! I considered both of these shows and hosts to be very important sources of the sarcastic look at the idiots in power, injecting some humor into the sad state of affairs in our country and on our planet.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

I still watch it at times, because Stewart is still pretty funny. I just roll my eyes and start picking on my mandolin (I like to practice while I watch television during the commercials) when he starts getting heavy handed on the Democrat bias.

To be fair, he will poke fun of Democrats when they screw up too, but you are right in that it isn't nearly as bad as he pokes fun at the Republicans.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

No, it was just announced. They haven't even settled on a date when he is leaving yet.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I welled up a little yesterday when I read the news

Seriously

:-(

:-)

Jon...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

LOL! Last night on his show he asked the audience of he was dead.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That was only show I would watch on TV, and even Oliver on HBO was not as good as Jon's show. Sarcasm is one thing, but comedy part of his show is what really really made his show apart. Loved debate between him and O'Reilly and if he ever runs for president, I sure will vote for him.
BTW< that debate in my opinion was better then real presidential debate.

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
To be fair, he will poke fun of Democrats when they screw up too, but you are right in that it isn't nearly as bad as he pokes fun at the Republicans.

Is it possible that there is less comedy material with democrats?? They do cover it, but they tend to have less controversial issues. Come on, just all joke about Mitch Mcconnell and comparison to turtle... priceless...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

That was pretty funny, I do admit, but you'd be lying if you haven't seen Stewart gush over Obama's policies or just Obama in general. Plus the jabs he makes at beliefs that aren't his own always seem to take the form of "you'd have to be a dumbass to follow these beliefs". Like I said, I still find him funny. He just gets too leftist for me at times.

Example: When the ACA first went into effect and all the problems came out with people not signing up and whatnot, Stewart had a bit about Obama lying to the public which was fairly funny. At first. Then halfway through it turned into, "but hey now we have health care for people who didn't have it before," which flat out contradicts the lie that Obama just got called out for. Yes people have access to health care that didn't, but that came at the expense of people who already did have health care. It's the same problem, just different people are suffering. Plus it ignores all the stupidity that IS the ACA and that it is really just forced capitalism instead of the social program that it was supposed to be. By the time the bit was over, it went from a funny critique of Obama being caught in a bold faced lie to a pitch for the ACA.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I thought that Stewart was very clear about being for rights and health for all, and ACA was just something in that direction.

In my opinion, some of his best comments were not on his show, but on his appearance on other networks, for example, his appearance on Crossfire back in 2004.

You can see how frustrated hosts were by his clear message and ability to switch from joke to real problem, or make comment that host did not even realize right away...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Whether the ACA is an overall positive for the country or not remains to be seen, I don't think it's fair for either side to claim it's a great failure or a great success so early on. Give it a decade and see how things have shaken out and then examine it's effects. But Stewart refuses to look into it as a complicated issue, and like Krazyshot said he makes it seem like anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.

He is also totally anti-gun, but I've known that for a long time and didn't let it color my view of him as a comedian, but it did color my view of his integrity. He was on Oriley several years back when Oriley was acting like a fool about the rapper Common being invited to the white house because one of Common's songs was in support of a man who killed a police officer. Stewart said something to the effect of "if you care about police officers lives why don't you support reinstating the AWB (assault weapons ban)" which is a nonsensical question, when the AWB went away there was no increase in crimes against cops, or crimes at all, actually the opposite. The overwhelming majority of gun crime takes place with janky little pistols and old shotguns, not the weapons covered in the AWB.

I WANT to still like Stewart, he is a funny intelligent guy and does do a good job of exposing BS in politics, I was a fan for a very long time, but he seems to have now taken the road of increasing bias and oversimplification of issues. He is such a fan and buddy of Obama and crew it's hard to take him seriously, if he really was against BS in politics he wouldn't be buddies with ANY of them.

And I agree that he does call out Democrats too, but the tone in which he does it is far different than when he calls out republicans. I would also agree that republicans open themselves up to being made fun of a lot more than democrats, but that's only because the democrat's brand of BS is a bit more nuanced and understated compared to the republicans. Republican stupidity is in your face, vs Democratic stupidity which more lies in details and execution of ideas.

It's also possible that I've simply lost some of my own personal bias, as it's hard to shake the old idea that the Democrats are the lesser of two evils. After the good times of the clinton era and the bad times of the following bush era I used to bit more left leaning than I am now, maybe my own personal move closer to center just makes his bias more obvious to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join