It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Reaches Grim Milestone-60,000+ Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow! 60K+ homeless in NY. I can't even imagine where all of these people could be, and the article doesn't clarify which of the 5 Burroughs is in question. To add insult to injury, 25,000 of these homeless people are children......

In November, there were 60,352 homeless people in the city, including 25,000 children, up more than 10 percent on the 53,615 who were homeless in January 2014, according to the website for charity Coalition for the Homeless.

Patrick Markee, deputy executive director for Advocacy Coalition for the Homeless, said the "historic homelessness crisis" in New York had worsened since Mayor Bill de Blasio took office in 2014.

He blamed the city's acute housing affordability crisis, policies of previous mayor Michael Bloomberg and failures in restoring permanent housing assistance for homeless families and children.

I assume a majority of NY's homeless live underground in some of the abandoned rail lines. I've heard stories about entire communities that exist down there that have their own societies and everything; called the Mole People. I don't know how many mole people there are in total but 60K+ homeless is a lot of people.....That's like a whole city's worth of people. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I always read the story about the Mole People was a fake created by an author. She made up stories about hitmen for as low as $20 each and a man called Angel. I'm too tired to go digging on the net unfortunately.

However, I do believe there are underground communities. Perhaps as organized as the one portrayed in the 80s series Beauty and the Beast, and surely there's some that are more loosely organized.

Amazing, the city takes in tons of money and they still can't manage to take care of the homeless, let alone make the city truly work right... S + F

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I always read the story about the Mole People was a fake created by an author. She made up stories about hitmen for as low as $20 each and a man called Angel. I'm too tired to go digging on the net unfortunately.

However, I do believe there are underground communities. Perhaps as organized as the one portrayed in the 80s series Beauty and the Beast, and surely there's some that are more loosely organized.

Amazing, the city takes in tons of money and they still can't manage to take care of the homeless, let alone make the city truly work right... S + F

It's real. I saw a documentary about it on the Discovery channel some years back. If you search for Mole people then you will get a bunch of sites to goto: The Ny times, NPR, etc. Here's one from the NY Post:

nypost.com...

Interesting stuff.
edit on 3-2-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I've always wondered how they can determine the number of homeless. 60k seems like a conservative number for a city of
8.5 million; Probably closer to 100K or more.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Yeah a documentary was made called "Dark Days" about the ppl who lived in one of the many
underground tunnels.

Dark Days - homeless going underground

This one group was displaced due to the documentary, and did get housing for awhile, but
then they used excuses to kick them out after awhile.

I assume this time they kept their mouths shut, and anyone showing up with a camera got
a swift kick in the balls.

If I were the homeless in NYC I'd save up 5 bucks each, and buy a rural piece of land as a group
and then setup a commune.

Work for local farmers for minimum wage, grow your own food using Aquaonics, etc etc...

A lot of the NYC homeless have drug problems though, so I think they will remain slaves to
their addictions and they will be left to suffer and die.

For those who want a future form a group of friends, and leave NYC and find some place
to work in the rural midwest away from any large cities, focus on basics.

For a place to live on the land use the mike oehler method.

Mike Oehler - underground housing

No need for heating or air conditioning, same temp year round.

With Aquaponics and vertical hydroponics they can grow 10x the food on
same square footage.

I wish them luck, they surely need it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Maybe N.Y.C. with go belly up like Detroit, then the State of N.Y. will send in the enforcers to clean up the mess.

Actually they will probably round-up the homeless, section off a big ghetto and send them there for processing, then after about a month, its off to the work camp they go. Humm, where have I heard of that before? . . . Oh well, on to something else.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

While I agree that every instance of homelessness is sad, let's look at it this way:

There are right about 8,000,000 living in New York City's 5 boroughs. Of that 8Mil people, 60,000 are counted as being homeless. That equates to 0.75% of the population.

Speaking quite frankly and without emotion attached, in a city like New York, that's not doing too bad. I'd definitely like to see it at 0%, but we also have to consider the fact of life that there is a growing population of "crusties:" People who voluntarily live the homeless lifestyle for one reason or another.

Here's an interesting article I think you'd appreciate reading from The Villager. Also, here is a blogspot page, CrustyPunks, that chronicals stories from these apparently voluntary homeless. I'm in no way saying that most homeless are so because of conscious choice, but there is that element out there, and I wish there was a way to subtract that from the actual number.

If New York City's homelessness is on the rise, it would be suggestive of a problem with the management of the city, as it seems through research that overall homelessness in America has declined over the past years.

It appears that it's not the only city or state that has some 'splainin' to do:

Source (which is worth looking at...it's the 2014 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress)

On a side note, it certainly appears that the homelessness problems concentrate around areas that have the highest cost of living compbined with being ports of entry for high levels of immigration. I wonder how many of the number of homeless are immigrants, both legal and illegal...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thanks for the info. Cali as has a lot of homeless. I used to live in LA and they are everywhere; especially downtown. On both coasts......homelessness from sea to shining sea......
edit on 4-2-2015 by lostbook because: Word add

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Yeah...born and raised my first 19 years of life in Bakerfield (the crotch of the San Joaquin Valley). I moved out of Cali in 1998, and from what I understand, the larger cities (and many smaller ones) are just one a complete downward spiral when it's coming to average quality of life. It's sad to watch a state that has so much going for it just completely vote itself into financial ruin, because it's only the residents who end up feeling the brunt of the stupidity.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

On a side note, it certainly appears that the homelessness problems concentrate around areas that have the highest cost of living compbined with being ports of entry for high levels of immigration. I wonder how many of the number of homeless are immigrants, both legal and illegal...

With so many homeless people all across the USA, the last thing we need is illegals. If we can't take care of our own citizens, we sure as hell can't take care of anyone else.

top topics

join