It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Ben Carson on Vaccines: Public Safety trumps Parental Discretion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Here we go ... a slippery slope government intrusion or common sense??
Political position and disease prevention from a 2016 GOP possible POTUS nominee.

I guess this conversation could go a few different directions.

Dr. Ben Carson on Vaccines: Public Safety trumps Parental Discretion

"I am very much in favor of parental rights for certain types of things," Carson said Tuesday on "America’s Forum" on Newsmax TV. "I'm in favor of you and I having freedom to drive a car. But, do we have a right to drive without seat belts on? Do we have a right to drive while we're texting? Studies have demonstrated that those are dangerous things to do, so it becomes a public safety issue. So you have to be able to separate out our rights versus the rights of the society in which we live because we're all in this thing together. So we have to be cognizant of other people around us."

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/3/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I rarely agree with Dr. Carson, but I think he's right on this one. One of the government's jobs is to insure the health and welfare of the people.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I've told people time and time again.

Your rights end where mine begin and vice versa.

You're right to x can't overlap my right to y.

If you don't want to vaccinate that's fine. Go right ahead. Just stay away from people and their kids.
Because if you get them sick you are responsible for it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So then the safety of my childrenn is not mine...hmmm pretty soon i wont be able to make desicions on my own...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
If you don't want to vaccinate that's fine. Go right ahead. Just stay away from people and their kids.

^^ I keep splitting the difference and going with this, but I don't know if it's possible to be in an overcrowded world and not rub elbows with others.

I understand people wanting the right to avoid vaccinations. But at the same time I really rely on others to get theirs because I can't. A lot of us with autoimmune or neuropathy can't. We just have to hope others get their vaccinations like they should.

This latest measles outbreak is spooky to me.
There is no sensible reason for it to have happened.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I truly have to say, as opinionated as I or anyone else here is, I am most definitely of two minds on this matter.

On one hand, rationally, I *completely* understand the thought that it is for the greater good. It truly only makes sense, that if you have a means to protect someone, a society, from a known medical issue, to actually be proactive and prevent it from happening.

On the other, wow, do I distrust the government and the money backing the companies that are actively backing this.

I cannot help but begin to ponder if I am truly suffering from cognitive dissonance with this issue.

edit on 3-2-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
So then the safety of my childrenn is not mine...

The safety of your children is yours. The safety of the PEOPLE as a whole, is the government's responsibility.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It is the personal impact of things like this on folks like yourself that or somehow more susceptible to such a problem that truly keeps my eyes and my mind open.

I always try to do my best to be open-minded to both sides.

This is a tough issue.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides
^^ I fully understand that and I have many of the same thoughts.
Which vaccinations are really necessary and which aren't?
MMR? Needed. Gardasil? Wouldn't go near it.

I understand what Dr. Carson is saying ... At the same time I'm running into a road block because gov't can't be blindly trusted.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It's a very interesting balancing act you've just stated. And stated quite eloquently.

I was raised to believe and act on the principle that my rights extend as far as they do so long as they do not infringe upon another's rights.

This is a truly ponderous and downright deep quagmire.

edit on 3-2-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
So then the safety of my childrenn is not mine...hmmm pretty soon i wont be able to make desicions on my own...

So if your kid gets sick and dies from a disease the vaccine could have prevented; who's responsible for their death?

And what should be done with those responsible?
edit on 3-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I am sorry that you have to rely on others to get vaccinated But that is basically my point for those that get vaccinated they have nothing to worry about for us risk takers that dont want what could be a molotav chemical compund in our body we should have that right not to put it in our body,

and you shouldnt be forced to wear a seat belt. seat belts can vase YOUR life. But is you not wearing your seatbelt affecting another driving or put another driving in harms way?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Individualism is dead.
Collectivism rules supreme.

The state owns you and your children if you/they were registered at birth.

Heres the big question for me.
Do I trust a bunch of serial liars, war criminals, fraudsters, paedophiles, rapists and common crooks to look out for my welfare?
No. To do so would be to make myself complicit in their crimes. And would just be plain dumb.

The legal system relies on the ignorance of the masses, he who doesnt know his freedoms or rights under law deserves being taken for a ride. The ignorance of the masses and our relinquishing of our own god given sovereign powers to someone else to handle on our behalf is stupidity of the highest order. And as such we are reaping what we sow.
Makes sense now why Sloth is a deadly sin.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
forcing someone to put something in their body that they dont want is probably one of the ultimate subversion of rights

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: nullafides
^^ I fully understand that and I have many of the same thoughts.
Which vaccinations are really necessary and which aren't?
MMR? Needed. Gardasil? Wouldn't go near it.

I understand what Dr. Carson is saying ... At the same time I'm running into a road block because gov't can't be blindly trusted.

You and I are absolutely on the exact same page.

Gurdasil and MMR vaccinations......

Frankly, yes, MMR vaccinations have prevented outright contagion. However, what concerns me with MMR vaccinations, is the idea that we do not know the impact OF the vaccination itself other than prevention of MMR.

Could it be causing something else? Could a shortcut in the manufacture of the drug be one that is reducing costs.

Could it be that said shortcut has only been introduced of late? Do we have any form of impartial review that would show the recipe has not changed over time?

Gardasil, hell no. Next it'll be introduced as a panacea for male pattern baldness.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I mean if you dont get vaccinated and have symptoms or have a virus then a discussion can be had are you a danger to the public like the case of the nurse who may have had sypmtoms of Ebola, and wanted to go for jogs and not self quarantine herself.

you would think morally you would want to keep away form others and do all that. But I mean should she have been forced to quarantine?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
forcing someone to put something in their body that they dont want is probably one of the ultimate subversion of rights

Chemical/medical rape....

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I kind of had that initial thought

link   
It would seem that seasonal vaccines are not the be all, fix all you would believe them to be.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In fact it would seem to be the opposite in that you may be increasing your chances of infection by being vaccinated with flu shots.

So if I was vaccinated for flu and actually became sick because of the vaccination who would be to blame for your child being infected by me? Until There's a definitive and risk free vaccine I will opt out thank you. And seeing as I haven't contracted a flu although being surrounded by those that have I take the position that my choice is indeed the correct choice.

ETA: I went a bit off topic so I'll come back to my opinion on the OP. Does the gov. have a right to mandate vaccinations? I will have to say yes and no. In the case of a serious and highly contagious disease I argue yes, but as far as flu or "seasonal" vaccines I would say we have the right to opt in or out as we please. There's definitely a gray area as far as children and public areas such as schools but one as a parent has to weigh the benefits against the risks and base their choice on fair and balanced research and other factors regarding their children's overall immunity and general health.
edit on 2/3/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

link   
Something to consider.....

A study published in the journal Pediatrics in June 2011 found that 8.0% of American children have food allergies, with 38.7% of those children (or 3.1% of all children) having a history of severe reactions. Historically, the words "allergy" and "anaphylaxis" were coined to describe vaccine-injuries (see The words "allergy" and "anaphylaxis" were invented to describe vaccine-injuries).

RISK OF VACCINE INDUCED ALLERGIES
Every vaccination will produce allergy antibodies. And the more potent a vaccine with aluminum or toxoid additives (adjuvants), the greater the risk for allergy and life threatening anaphylaxis to any of the injected ingredients. This is a medically recognized risk of vaccination.[1] This risk of anaphylaxis and allergy has become a reality for a rising number of children over the last 20 years as vaccines have increased in number and potency.

RISK OF VACCINE INDUCED ALLERGIES

Hmmm.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join