It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author Harper Lee to publish new novel, 55 years after To Kill a Mockingbird.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
from The Guardian

Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird, is to publish her second novel, Go Set a Watchman this summer, a work which the reclusive writer had believed lost for decades, and in which her beloved character Scout will be seen as an adult.

Lee said in an announcement from her publisher, Penguin Random House, that she completed Go Set a Watchman in the mid-1950s, but set it aside after the publication of her debut and never returned to it. “It features the character known as Scout as an adult woman and I thought it a pretty decent effort,” said the reclusive writer. “My editor, who was taken by the flashbacks to Scout’s childhood, persuaded me to write a novel from the point of view of the young Scout. I was a first-time writer, so I did as I was told.”

Lee said today that she “hadn’t realised” the book had survived, “so was surprised and delighted when my dear friend and lawyer Tonja Carter discovered it”. Carter found the manuscript, said the publisher, “in a secure location where it had been affixed to an original typescript of To Kill a Mockingbird”.

WOW! What a find..Cannot wait to see what happens with "Scout" .

edit on 2/3/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ohhh, here's a literary conspiracy I could get into. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favourite piece of literature, but I've always wondered how much input Truman Capote had in her writing. I've heard stories about her publishing Go Set A Watchman throughout the years, so it makes me suspicious that she's decided to publish it now and to put out the lost and found manuscript tale. Or it's all true (most likely it is) and all of the To Kill A Mockingbird fans are all impatiently waiting. Myself included.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

well either way I'll be in line with a fresh new copy!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Me too! When I read this headline my heart skipped a beat. reply to: DjembeJedi

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I named my son Atticus. That's how much I love this book.

Gotta say, the movie was damn good as well. "Don't say hey to me you ugly little girl!"

a reply to: Atsbhct

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Books are a joy!

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join