It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Australian) Gun Crime Would Be Lower If We Followed Example Of Nation With Highest Gun Crime

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

What is there not to understand? In a country that allows public gun ownership, you have less gun crime PER gun!

By the very nature of it, when only criminals own guns, then the majority of gun use is for CRIME.

There is zero logic in taking away law-abiding peoples guns, because non-law abiders might use a gun also.

Would you believe that someone planning a MURDER isn't all too concerned with breaking the LAW to acquire a black market firearm?? Amazing huh?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

What is there not to understand? In a country that allows public gun ownership, you have less gun crime PER gun!

Can you post your evidence for this please? I find this VERY hard to believe.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

Can you post your evidence for this please? I find this VERY hard to believe.

HOW is that hard to believe? We have over 300million guns in private ownership the vast majority of them (well over 95%) are never used in a crime, because they are owned and secured by law abiding citizens. So you are left with less than 5% of guns in America being used in a crime.

Now in a country where private gun ownership is illegal, the gun is technically participating in a crime just by existing in private hands. But realistically, if it's owned by a criminal then it's being used in armed robberies, murder, rape etc etc pretty frequently.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Mass shooting murders in Australia since gun restrictions installed in 1996 = 0
Mass shooting murders in America since 1996 = 47

www.motherjones.com...

The numbers speak for themselves. If you wish, I can also post statistics proving that less guns = less crime (although one might hope you could do that research yourself instead of pulling nonsense out of your rectum and claiming it as fact).
edit on 9/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Mass shooting murders in Australia since gun restrictions installed in 1996 = 0
Mass shooting murders in America since 1996 = 47

www.motherjones.com...

The numbers speak for themselves. If you wish, I can also post statistics proving that less guns = less crime (although one might hope you could do that research yourself instead of pulling nonsense out of your rectum and claiming it as fact).

CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

Are you even capable of understanding that ? In 2013 my car was hit by other drivers 3 times. My car is also white. So does that mean white cars are crash magnets ? Or maybe it's something to do with the way I drive. Or maybe it' something do with with the area I live in (one of the highest auto insurance rates in the USA).

So did it ever occur to you that we have a higher crime rate in the US than Australia in general ? Did it occur to you that that may be connected to demographics, or socio-economic issues ?

Have a look at this page: www.thetruthaboutguns.com... and scroll down to the section titled: "Proportion of Guns Used in Crimes: Very, Very Low"

If we assume that a different gun was used for every robbery, murder and assault, then that number comes out to 460,718 firearms. That’s 0.185% of all guns in the United States. For reference, every year 2.13% of all motor vehicles are involved in a collision. So again, guns are safer than cars.

Assuming that a different gun was used for each crime actually makes the statistic higher and in reality, many guns are used to commit multiple crimes, so the actual portion of guns owned in the USA that end up being used in a crime is incredibly low.

I've read the statistic of less than 5% a few places before, but even the NY Times apparently published numbers saying it was less than 2% of legally purchased guns that ended up being used in a crime! 2% sir!

So no, I don't pull numbers out of my rectum. But you can put them up yours

edit on 10-2-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join