It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Australian) Gun Crime Would Be Lower If We Followed Example Of Nation With Highest Gun Crime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
shrimps on a barbie for the aussies.

PRAWNS not shrimp! Bloody Hogan.....

While I don't get gun culture I respect the reasons why usaers have it.

While I may have, decades ago, agreed with this sentiment, the gun culture surrounds the Constitution and involves the right to bear arms against tyranny. Now that the tyranny is upon them, where are all the militias and their "right to bear arms"? Oh yeah, they are keeping there heads down because the government has bigger guns than them. So the whole point of the "right to bear arms" is null and void if it's not going to be used for it's intended purpose. It borders on hypocritical IMO.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Thats a new one hogan what does that mean?.
Love all our little sayings :-D

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I was referring to Paul Hogan aka Crocodile Dundee who did a stupid tourism ad in America in the 80's and said "Throw another shrimp on the barbie" at the end of it - a term which then stuck all the way through to today.

I wasn't calling you (or anyone) a 'Hogan'

edit on 3/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If only the US was an island. Yeah we have gun crime but try going south of our border where they have stricter gun laws than you and tell me how that is working out for them.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You should ask the US government, they seem pretty adept at sending guns down there and then losing track of them.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Last time I was down there I could have picked up some AK variants on the cheap of course those are coming in from south of their borders.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Less gun for the public might just make it more likely the reserve will openly drain the savings in the populations bank accounts.
The subject of the the thread is kind of a dead horse.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Less gun for the public might just make it more likely the reserve will openly drain the savings in the populations bank accounts.
The subject of the the thread is kind of a dead horse.

Huh?

I certainly don't fear the Aussie govt dipping into my savings. I seem to recall many people lost money in the US when the banking system there failed, but I saw no armed rebellion as is mandated by the U.S. Constitution. So, again, what was the point of the 'right to bear arms' if it's not going to be used for it's true intent?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Last time I was down there I could have picked up some AK variants on the cheap of course those are coming in from south of their borders.

The failed War on Drugs is the main reason for the amount of guns and killing that occurs south of (and crosses over) your borders.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
but I saw no armed rebellion as is mandated by the U.S. Constitution.

Good Lord, don't they teach you world history in Australia?
Yep, we are "mandated" to shoot anyone who makes us loose money. Seriously, please tell me that was another joke, like the OP.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Yep, we are "mandated" to shoot anyone who makes us loose money.

Well, well, well. Hello Pete Carroll, thanks for that stupid play call. Now I have some Constitutionally mandated recourse.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Mate, read it again carefully. The poster I was replying to said

and my reply was pointing out that's exactly what happened in the U.S. and where were the armed populace to stop it?

And to respond to your thinly-veiled insult, unlike America, most of the rest of the world DOES learn world history, not just "American History with a side-order of the rest of the world if we get around to it but mostly American history Hooah".

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It was no insult. It's just that if you wish to discuss our constitution, it might be a good idea to at least understand it. We have the right to bear arms, but we are not mandated to do anything with them. And we are not mandated to have them, we are just allowed to have them. Unlike Australia, where you have much more restrictive rules because a nut job killed a bunch of people and frightened your people into believing your government would protect you better if you were unarmed.

If you and your people are happy like that, super, enjoy it. The majority of us in the USA like the way it is now. And we are happy.

I may never understand the need for someone from another country to worry so much about someone elses rules.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

We have the right to bear arms, but we are not mandated to do anything with them. And we are not mandated to have them, we are just allowed to have them.

Was the 'right to bear arms' meant to be directed at arming the populace against tyrannous government or not? As I understand it that's EXACTLY what it's meant to be for, yet the tyrannous government has arrived and the populace, who crow so loudly about that right to bear arms against tyrannous governments, cowers instead. THAT is my point.

Unlike Australia, where you have much more restrictive rules because a nut job killed a bunch of people and frightened your people into believing your government would protect you better if you were unarmed.

And in the decades since those restrictions were put in place we have not had ONE SINGLE mass murder, plus gun crime and death has plummeted. You forgot to add those facts.

If you and your people are happy like that, super, enjoy it. The majority of us in the USA like the way it is now. And we are happy.

Police State? Big Government taking the rights of the people away bit by bit? And you say your happy?

B.S.

I may never understand the need for someone from another country to worry so much about someone elses rules.

Umm, America has made a career out of interjecting itself into others problems, just look to your own country and it's foreign policy and you'll have your answer.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I sure am glad to see someone here who has the answers. Tell me how it's going to work. Lots of us have guns, so we can storm the government and demand they step down. (for fun, lets assume they do) then what? We flounder around trying to figure out who should be in charge while Russia of China swoop in to preserve order.

It's a much bigger thing than you pretend it to be. but seriously, if you have the answers, tell us. I'd be happy to find a way to convince the US government they have gotten to powerful and need to downsize.

And the last point, if you look back in our recent history, mass shootings weren't a big issue before Columbine. After that, it seemed it was the "in" thing to do when you are bored, or not the coolest kid in school. When I grew up, there were still guns, and still bullets, but less crazy people. It's easy to just point at guns and claim they are the real problem.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't have all the answers mate, I never claimed to have them. I am simply pointing out a problem I see that many Americans seem blind to - being that Americans glorify the US Constitution which gives them the right to bear arms against tyrannous government, and yet it's being misused as an excuse for just owning lots of guns as is evidenced by the fact that a tyrannous government is in place and the guns are not being used for their intended purpose. It's hypocrisy at it's finest really.

We can still have guns in Australia if we pass the checks and do the course and register the gun. It makes it infinitely harder for the nutjobs to get their hands on one and go shooting up a school or a shopping mall or their neighbour. No, it doesn't stop it altogether but the statistics prove that the amount of gun-related crime and murder has plummeted since. This is proven by the fact we haven't had a mass murder in Australia since the gun restrictions went into effect.

I simply don't understand why this is so hard for Americans to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I used to find the gun laws ridiculous in the USA, but that was from a British perspective.

If some nut job turned up on my doorstep I could have the good old peelers here to back me up within minutes, this just isn't possible all the time in America, their cops could be an hour or more away at best.

It really would be wrong to disarm these people, they have to be allowed some sense of security in their homes.

There is probably an argument for banning them in cities but the feasibility of this is questionable.

It's easy as a British person to look at the issue and go sure ban guns but that I believe is quite an ignorant view of the problem.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Nobody is suggesting to BAN guns altogether in the U.S., merely install proper licensing and registration in order to own one. As is evidenced here in Australia is really does have a significant effect on the availability of guns to those whom would use them for nefarious deeds.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Nobody is suggesting to BAN guns altogether in the U.S., merely install proper licensing and registration in order to own one.

We already have that. You cannot legally own an unregistered firearm.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I simply don't understand why this is so hard for Americans to comprehend.

You must not be paying attention. We DO understand. I am truly glad your gun control is working for you. If your opinion is the same as all other members of your country, then all the better.

But, here in America, once you remove your rose colored glasses, you have to realize that the gun laws are not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is bad people doing bad things. And those bad people usually don't use registered guns to do their bad stuff with. The people who have legal registered guns are not the same ones shooting up other people.
(look into that if you like)

When you can eliminate all crime, you will be able to control most anything you like. But, while crime still exists, there will be those who wish to protect themselves from it.

A man who ambushed and murdered a debt collector with a machete is jailed for at least two decades by an Adelaide court.

link

Why don't you have outrage for machete control? It seems you need more laws to govern the sale and distribution of this mass murder tool. Or, was the issue here more with the dumbass holding the machete than it was the big knife itself?

I am not saying we don't have more gun violence than you, but we do have a couple more people here also, so given the odds, more lunatics too. And I firmly believe they would do their crimes with whatever they could find, be it a gun, a knife, or a herring.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join