It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mile wide face on Mars East of Cydonia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

Excellent example of what Neil deGrasse Tyson calls brain failures.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The images you posted are low-resolution, and are thus more conductive to pareidolia. You can access higher-rez Mars imagery in Google Earth, by ticking the box under Layers / Global Maps / CTX Mosaic, which uses images from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's "Context Camera".

Here is this "head" as seen in Google Earth with CTX Mosaic enabled:

Doesn't look so much like a head, does it? And it is indeed a depression (or a crater) rather than a mound. Here's an oblique view, with elevation exagerrated x2:

There is only partial CTX coverage of the "head" as seen in Google Earth, but you can access the fuller CTX coverage (which can actually be accessed directly from Google Earth if you know how to do it) here. (the "head" is in top left corner of the image strip)

Rule of thumb for Mars and Moon pictures where you see something peculiar - try to find higher-resolution images of the same area.

[Edit] Here's the second "head" as seen by CTX camera (middle right side of the image strip):

[Another edit] To compensate for that partial oblique CTX view, I used the full CTX image to use as an overlay in Google Earth:

Here's a tutorial on how to do this: www.google.co.uk...
edit on 3-2-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
To the OP.

It's not a face, it's a head.

No one has ears that big. The proportions are wrong. Are you grasping at straws, or having a laugh at people susceptible to suggestive persuasion?

Regards

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: iDope
Here is a close up of the face.

But… it's a crater.

You're eye is being fooled into thinking it's a face-looking thing in relief. Instead, it's a crater, the light from the angle of the sun (relative to the objects) is coming from below.

It's merely a trick of lighting. Nothing more.

So you're saying its a crater face! No need for insults.

I see it as a crater also.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The good news is that this does not appear to be an impact crater, it is apparently a sinkhole! Notice how crisp the edges are and how it seems to have collapsed in two distinct phases. This structure suggests the presence of subsurface water at some point. Congratulations, send a letter to Science.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

It's LBJ! They adored him on Mars.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Bit heavy .. maybe he just thought it was very interesting and wanted to share ?
Maybe you could do with a massage or something to help you to chill a bit ?

anyhoo ... on a lighter note ... Chill !!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Why do people make these threads? Do they sit in their houses full of cats and broken dreams and desperately try to find things that were never there in the first place?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DPrice

cos theyre interesting ... and one day .. maybe one sharp eyed dude will see sommething, somewhere, world changing, and share it here on ATS .... there is no bad in people sharing these things ... only hope

anyhoo .. i seen this one aaaages ago .. quite surprised that so many ppl in this thread hadnt seen it before ... so on that basis .. i dont mind it being repeated again either ...

i seen faar owrse threads than these .. of various levels of silloiness .. ones startinng religious threads for example, with nothing to offer, but a controversial opinion, knowing it will re-start another silly 'age old' unwinnable debate, then they sit back and watch silently in as people come in and start argueing with each other, and get a warm glowy feeling from seeing their intent come to fruition ...

I far prefer these threads .. that attract a far friendlier debate, with less hatred ... except for the people like yourselves thatstill seem to hate them rather than just skip on by to somethin that does interest u

also .... wheeeEEEeeee....

edit on 3-2-2015 by Segenam because: ... I love to edit ....

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Segenam one day .. maybe one sharp eyed dude will see sommething, somewhere, world changing,

Do you really think NASA would allow for that to happen? You seem pretty naive.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
NASA ? ... Ah .. you were speaking purely of mars threads .. i thought you were generalising on a larger scope ...
naive ? ... ok .. well youre too smart for me then ... you win

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It reminds me of the "indian with an iPod" in Canada:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I see it because I want to...

Sorry, its not a face

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Could it be ?

Donald Pleasence

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Meanwhile if you people who stare at craters and rocks all day stared at some Kepler light curves you might really be credited with making a significant discovery: a new planet.

Amateurs spot exoplanet with fast-changing orbit

Not as fun as pareidolia but more useful to science.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
The images you posted are low-resolution, and are thus more conductive to pareidolia. You can access higher-rez Mars imagery in Google Earth, by ticking the box under Layers / Global Maps / CTX Mosaic, which uses images from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's "Context Camera".

Here is this "head" as seen in Google Earth with CTX Mosaic enabled:

Doesn't look so much like a head, does it? And it is indeed a depression (or a crater) rather than a mound. Here's an oblique view, with elevation exagerrated x2:

There is only partial CTX coverage of the "head" as seen in Google Earth, but you can access the fuller CTX coverage (which can actually be accessed directly from Google Earth if you know how to do it) here. (the "head" is in top left corner of the image strip)

Rule of thumb for Mars and Moon pictures where you see something peculiar - try to find higher-resolution images of the same area.

[Edit] Here's the second "head" as seen by CTX camera (middle right side of the image strip):

[Another edit] To compensate for that partial oblique CTX view, I used the full CTX image to use as an overlay in Google Earth:

Here's a tutorial on how to do this: www.google.co.uk...

But, but, but...he said that someone was hiding it now! As soon as he showed people, it mysteriously got all pixelated. Or...evidently not so much. Fun pic, total coincidence as to appearance, and either lack of research or lack of forthrightness by OP as to what it really is. Nothing but a flag and star hunt, IMO...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DPrice

originally posted by: Segenam one day .. maybe one sharp eyed dude will see sommething, somewhere, world changing,

Do you really think NASA would allow for that to happen? You seem pretty naive.

And yet people like you will keep throwing up NASA pictures that you claim "prove" what you believe. You guys can never make up your mind. Either NASA is hiding everything or they are so stupid that they keep releasing pics of aliens and UFOs and such, lol. Can't have it both ways.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery
It reminds me of the "indian with an iPod" in Canada:

That is also a depression in the surface, much like the OP's crater.

Obviously the "iPod" ear-bud is a man-made road, but the "headdress feathers" and the facial features are natural alluvial fans of loose material that have slid down the sides of the depression, and the shadows cast by those alluvial fans.

edit on 2/3/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Ah-now it looks like a crater.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Even if this is made from a sinkhole crater or depression the evidence sceptics have provided here does not prove that this is not a face intentionally designed by someone to be seen from high above. Possibly the art could have been created with an advanced technique of art that uses depth to create visual 3d effects, depth and more reality to the structure. Have you ever seen 3d sidewalk art?

www.lifed.com...

www.themost10.com...

There are advanced forms of art that come in many different forms. Even with all of your filtering and different angles of viewing this structure I can still see vaguely the forms of faces. I think this is very intriguing. I understand many people for sake of not wanting to be chastised, heckled, or putting their reputation on the line. I respect people who are big thinkers and see things in a new light. I also appreciate the knowledgeable sceptics because it can bring balance to a discussion. Through history there have been plenty of moments where scoffers become the ones that are scoffed in the future because what they so adamantly supported as truth was found to be completely wrong. I think these pictures are extremely intriguing from a possibly archeological, geologic, historical, and scientific standpoint.
edit on 3-2-2015 by polarboarder1 because: fixing art links that didnt work

edit on 3-2-2015 by polarboarder1 because: replacing a link

edit on 3-2-2015 by polarboarder1 because: Removing a word that was redundant because I used it twice in the same sentence geologic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join