It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit man who has been walking 21 miles a day to get to and from work for over a decade

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
What a great way to live ineffeciently!

I guess the man didn't want to come back home to his wife/loving family and gave himself the excuse of walking 11-12 hours a day. All this time, he never moved and he never got daily lifts.

This man...I don't know what to make of him. I pitty him for not knowing what to do with his time. Some people are like that, they can't find nothing to do outside of work. These people are rarely interested in intellectual and artistic occupations and the quality of their person suffers IMO.

This is a suffering soul, his life is devoid of sense. No one in his right mind would chose such life decisions. He is surrely depressive and needs mental help. Sleeping 3-4 hours everyday also takes it's toll on the mind.

I don't see why we should praise a man like that. He's been "walking" in the wrong direction of life for 31 000+ hours in the last 10 years.

Try Moving to Detroit and see what happens to your lack of compassion, Detroit does not even have a full sized grocery store anymore.

You have no idea how dire it is in the Motor City my friend.

Regards, Iwinder

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

originally posted by: theMediator
What a great way to live ineffeciently!

I guess the man didn't want to come back home to his wife/loving family and gave himself the excuse of walking 11-12 hours a day. All this time, he never moved and he never got daily lifts.

This man...I don't know what to make of him. I pitty him for not knowing what to do with his time. Some people are like that, they can't find nothing to do outside of work. These people are rarely interested in intellectual and artistic occupations and the quality of their person suffers IMO.

This is a suffering soul, his life is devoid of sense. No one in his right mind would chose such life decisions. He is surrely depressive and needs mental help. Sleeping 3-4 hours everyday also takes it's toll on the mind.

I don't see why we should praise a man like that. He's been "walking" in the wrong direction of life for 31 000+ hours in the last 10 years.

Try Moving to Detroit and see what happens to your lack of compassion, Detroit does not even have a full sized grocery store anymore.

You have no idea how dire it is in the Motor City my friend.

Regards, Iwinder

Regards, Iwinder

Did you see Jeb Bush's quote that he wants to repopulate Detroit with the illegals? SMDH

3rd time's the charm?

He even suggested the mayor of Detroit — the economically depressed Midwestern city where he's giving his first policy address of the 2016 campaign on Wednesday — use immigration to "repopulate" the city.

"It just seems to me that maybe if you open up our doors in a fair way and unleashed the spirit of peoples' hard work, Detroit could become in really short order, one of the great American cities again," Bush said then. "Now it would look different, it wouldn't be Polish...But it would be just as powerful, just as exciting, just as dynamic. And that's what immigration does and to be fearful of this, it just seems bizarre to me."

I thought the majority of Detroit's problem was crime and services? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, as I don't live in the area.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Buy a bike?

On a serious note it's not very often you hear such a simple and humble story that is so impressive and inspiring. To think about these people who lay about and never work a day of their lives. Respect.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
For those suggesting this guy buy a bike, have they thought about the possibility that maybe he has, often, and they've been stolen enough times he just gave up buying them as a waste of money? Just a thought. It's not as if Detroit is all puppies and rainbows anymore.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
Buy a bike?

On a serious note it's not very often you hear such a simple and humble story that is so impressive and inspiring. To think about these people who lay about and never work a day of their lives. Respect.

This man does not deserve respect at all.

Say that he loves his 10 bucks/hour job and the long walks. In that case he simply got what he wanted, which deserves no respect at all, it's quite selfish, actually. Say that he does not want this - than he's an idiot. Worse, even an idiot could have bought a second or third hand bike or an old car or motorcycle.

Now, I can pity an idiot, but I do not respect him for being one. So, respect? No.

Respect? Should we respect the idiot's boss, for that matter - what kind of a boss is that that allows this to go on for years in a row? If one of our people walks miles a day to get to the factory his boss will notice and will try to help the guy. Buy him a bike, get him a hotel, try to find him a house near by, stuff like that.

Come to think of it: what system allows both the idiot and the boss of the idiot to act this way?

It's living proof of how the society he lives in seems to be blind and deaf to the needs of others. And to top it all, if at last somebody figures it out, they try to overcompensate for it and give him the equivalent of a years worth of his work. Yeah, NOW they can.

Sad and sickening.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
OMG how did he managed to do that during the winters? Over the past decade there has been some nasty blizzards and snow storms up in those parts and this man manages do maintain a perfect attendance.

WOW...WOW

Mind blown...that is some hardcore stuff.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

originally posted by: sg1642
Buy a bike?

This man does not deserve respect at all.

Say that he loves his 10 bucks/hour job and the long walks. In that case he simply got what he wanted, which deserves no respect at all, it's quite selfish, actually. Say that he does not want this - than he's an idiot. Worse, even an idiot could have bought a second or third hand bike or an old car or motorcycle.

Now, I can pity an idiot, but I do not respect him for being one. So, respect? No.

Respect? Should we respect the idiot's boss, for that matter - what kind of a boss is that that allows this to go on for years in a row? If one of our people walks miles a day to get to the factory his boss will notice and will try to help the guy. Buy him a bike, get him a hotel, try to find him a house near by, stuff like that.

Come to think of it: what system allows both the idiot and the boss of the idiot to act this way?

It's living proof of how the society he lives in seems to be blind and deaf to the needs of others. And to top it all, if at last somebody figures it out, they try to overcompensate for it and give him the equivalent of a years worth of his work. Yeah, NOW they can.

Sad and sickening.
yeah I see your point. Regardless of any of that, however any person who is willing to work hard in life has my respect.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Well, looks as if the money raised has reached $350,001. That should pay for plenty of insurance , gas, and upkeep. He was presented with a new Ford Taurus ( sound like it was possibly donated by the dealership? ). Plans for the excess funds include some household repairs (he must own his home) and some for his retirement.

ABC News
edit on 9-2-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
a reply to: tinker9917

Well, looks as if the money raised has reached $350,001. That should pay for plenty of insurance , gas, and upkeep. He was presented with a new Ford Taurus ( sound like it was possibly donated by the dealership? ). Plans for the excess funds include some household repairs (he must own his home) and some for his retirement.

ABC News

With a banker helping him in terms of money planning and budgeting this should help that $300k last him quite a while and not be blown through like cake at a birthday party.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I enjoy my walks as well. Doesn't mean I don't want and or need a Car. I enjoy the walks because I get to be alone for HOURS at a time. I get no rest at home living with.... with.... with.... my step mother and my gambling father.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Today's update: He has temporarily move out of his home to another location. People keep begging him for money and he no longer feels safe.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Today's update: He has temporarily move out of his home to another location. People keep begging him for money and he no longer feels safe.

Somehow I am not surprised.

Shame really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join