It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law firm may have defrauded Government and Natives over Residential School Class Action....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

These millions of dollars which the government is suing to recover.....rightfully belong to the people who suffered at the hand of the government policy towards Native Canadians......
Just goes to show how even your own layer can screw you out of settlement money....
IMHO this is common law practice anyways but more egregious somehow ripping off people who were tortured.....at government behest....

The federal government approved a multi-billion dollar settlement agreement. A chunk would go to law firms, including the Merchant Law Group, while former students received a common experience payment of, on average, $24,000.

edit on 30-1-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What's the difference between a dead skunk run down in the road and a dead lawyer run down in the road? The dead skunk has skid marks in front of it. It makes me sick how someone would try to profit like this off of the pain and anguish of others.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling
Merchant Law Group is as slimy as they get. I have had the worse experience of my life hiring Tony Merchant as a lawyer. I tell everyone that asks me about personal lawyers, to stay away from the Merchant Law Group.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Must be nice to be married to a high gov official like Tony is......
I sense a conflict of interest since he should not have even represented the natives if hes tired into the government by marriage.....no?
This is essentially a bigger corruption case than mere fraudulent billing.....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I understand the people that suffered under this incredibly evil government 'program' should get compensation. To be honest I think it's a minor miracle that they actually did as governments tend to break rules and get away with it for the most part. So it's a good news/bad news kind of story. Thankfully they got something which wouldn't happen in many countries. Sadly slimy lawyers took too much as per usual.

There really ought to be a special place in Hell for Lawyers. Probably as supervisors...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The point being that the Government waited till many of the former students (or abductees to be more accurate)
Had DIED......sure there was a settlement but many never lived to see it....
When you think of the mortality rate among the "students" being a flat 50%.....it gets to be even more of a ripoff.....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Not only should they have made sure the affected people were taken care of more quickly, but, they also should have made sure that people that were living below the poverty level knew what to do with, what is to them, a massive amount of cash.
The stories of spending, family stealing from them, and people just making their lives worse, because of the money were more disheartening then them not receiving a dime.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Those stories go back a lot further than you want to imagine.....not just this settlement....

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I know, I live in Saskatchewan. I know someone who got a "settlement".

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Its called soft genocide where I come from.....
Ethnic cleansing with "kindness".....

new topics

top topics

join