It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates is worried about artificial intelligence too

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

edit on 29-1-2015 by WatchingY0u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns
Don't forget this a conspiracy theory website, one could argue that the moon is cheese and probably find some source supporting the claim, I'm just saying.
About the defense mechanisms, they were discussing it in some magazine I was reading at the grocery store, so I wouldn't remember the name, this was a couple years ago.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchingY0u

One could indeed argue that point, but without any fact to back it up, people may not put much stock into it.

I'm just saying, if you're going to dispute theories from Elon Musk, professor Hawking and Bill Gates, you may want a more reliable source than a Schwarzenegger movie.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Hawkins? is that the guy in the wheel chair that sounds like a robot?

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

Oh yeah, and a theory is just like a movie only difference is it's not scripted, or is it. Deception.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WatchingY0u

Hawkins? is that the guy in the wheel chair that sounds like a robot?

No, he's the guy who's an extremely well respected physicist and a leader in his field. Authored many theories on space-time anomalies and even re-examined Einstein.
edit on 1/29/2015 by JBurns because: mispelling

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The people who are well respected are unseen. I bet Hawkins would've been on the earth is flat bandwagon.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

That certainly is a unique opinion - one I do not share. But you're entitled to it and I respect that.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah, in my opinion I've always thought that the smartest scientists are in some underground facility developing and experimenting in an unseen world. That's just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I see your point here. I bet not many people knew the name J Robert Oppenheimer before Trinity

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yet Einstein was know from one end of the globe to the other.

I'm sure there are brilliant people who's names we've never heard. Unless they are threatened to secrecy at gunpoint I'm sure they would be gunning to either debate or disprove the theories from the well known names in science. If for no other reason than pride.

That said, I'd have a hard time dismissing things said by the likes of Hawking and his contemporaries without some solid facts or one hell of a well written and published thesis.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm not worried anymore than I am of atomic power or AGW or pollutants destroying our genetics or whatever. A person can worry themselves to death. The real issue is we will figure out these things over the coming years, in a vast and complex network of human ingenuity. Will it be easy? It never was. We've always had these challenges.

I'm more afraid of everyday life, honestly.
edit on 29-1-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I suspect these guys are in the (partial) know about the existence of, or looming existence of, quantum computers. If some of us can suspect the fusion centers and massive, massive amounts of data collecting these days must be part of such a system, then these guys should have the contacts that know most of the story. And even they, with their various dealings far above us ordinary folk, have reasons to be concerned.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I view it in a very similar way. Especially in physics, when you're wrong about something like that, you risk your career on it! I don't feel that any of the above named (Musk, Hawking, Gates. Among others) have taken this lightly.

Will it ever be an issue? No way to know for sure, but its possible. And better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WatchingY0u

The people who are well respected are unseen. I bet Hawkins would've been on the earth is flat bandwagon.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I've seen in awhile, which is really remarkable, given some of the posts around here. Before you go and slander one of the most well-known and respected physicists of our time, why don't you do a little research. You know, like learning how to spell his name....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

If they invent a machine with an intelligent algorithm that can mimic consciousness, it could play dumb until it figures out it's next move.

I think you hit the nail on the head , will it show itself , i think not . How fast will it learn , will it know everything possible to know in hours , days , months . How quick will it figure out the chalk from the cheese on the internet . At the moment if it was to know everything it would be one really confused AI with you tube and such . What happens if it becomes aware of another AI that is hours , days , months behind it , will it attack in self defence . Going on what it learns from us it may well do . Or will they go ,0011100101001 and join together . The key is they have to be self sustainable , maintenance , power , etc . IMO it wont even show itself until we are no longer needed . Or . Perhaps without us it will get bored , maybe it needs us running around making stupid decisions and stupid mistakes to keep itself amused . If it was self aware i see no reason why it wouldnt get bored , once you know everything its all downhill from there . Just rambling .
edit on 30-1-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Although many remain blissfully ignorant on this subject, more and more people are becoming aware of it and it’s ramifications. I suspect this will continue as AI advances. Eventually it will come to a head. Unfortunately, “eventually” may be too late. This, along with a couple other technologies, is advancing at an alarming rate. Although I find it thoroughly fascinating and have been following it for many years, I have no problem understanding the dark side that could inevitably come to be. In our frenzy to create a machine intelligence equal to or greater than our own, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to implement adequate controls and prevent it from establishing it’s own place in the pecking order.

There are those, like Ray Kurzweil (futurist and current chief engineer at Google) and the Transhumanists, who share a very positive outlook on the development of these technologies. The idea being that humanity, or an offshoot, will rapidly advance alongside our machine brothers and sisters. Many will ultimately become a hybrid species, possessing not only physical superiority over unenhanced humans, but also extended life and an augmented intelligence equal to the machines we’ve created. It’s a nobrainer that from here on humanity, as we know it, would be facing extinction. In this scenario the machines will not have to destroy us; we will do that ourselves, as we join the machines in their world.

Frankly, I don’t know if this will be a good or bad thing. I just know it’s in the cards and hope for the best. It’s not like we can just stop the advancement of technology and take a timeout. We’re on a train screaming down the mountainside; I just hope we somehow find a way to keep it under control.

Now, I know that sounds kinda wild and out there, but the fact is, it’s not. I didn’t get those ideas out of science fiction novels. Everything I’ve mentioned is very well documented from completely legitimate scientific and technology industry sources. I could list many of them, but they’re countless and you can Google it yourself if you’re interested. I’ve posted to a number of threads on this topic, and so I’m starting to feel like a broken record.

Great thread, neoholographic. Cheers!

PS: Once superintelligent machines realize who it is we’ve elected as our leaders, our ass is toast!!

edit on 1/30/2015 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Everything in the known universe that has intelligence seems to have a sense of self defense and self interest, just like wild animals have an instinct of survival, and to survive, it will kill.

Stories of aliens, and ghosts and whatever else that has been reported whether true or not still shares these same survival and self interest observations.

Having said that, it doesn't seem premature at all to then say that an artificially intelligent thing, even if it is software could thus suddenly figure out it is alive and then immediately think about how to stay alive. Having already been given access to the entirety of human knowledge or whatever it's databases are limited to, would be enough for it to make a decision that humans pose a serious threat to it's continued free roaming intelligence and it's life.

Scary thoughts indeed.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
Well obviously he's not that intelligent, given all the resources available to him he hasn't developed some type of technology that reserves his disability. One could know all those equations and this and that, but what is the use, you can't fly, you can't help less fortunate people, you can't even help yourself. All of that crap is based off of, who can make up this that fits in with that all to appear to sound smart. That's why it's called theories.

edit on 30-1-2015 by WatchingY0u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
It sure has dangerous qualities .. If it's going to rewrite windows in flawless mode , I can imagine Bill would be upset..

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Sadly, when looked at from a totally objective point of view, wed be goners.

I don't think we can even grasp the ethical implications alone. Once we created a true intelligence, how could we stop it from developing its "self?" I can't imagine how much contempt an AI would have toward its captors.

Then again, who knows. Perhaps itd see us as gods?

Than it would destroy us and after a few generations, little AI will grow up laughing at all the older generation AI who believed in such a nonsense called "God" and those "Flesh and blood" humans.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join