It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being hated for having Triskaidekaphobia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It all started when I was younger, my parents were superstitious about a good many of things, some brought about by religion, some founded by people within the religion but not documented, and others I do not know where they got their ideas from... Out of these, one thing they taught me stuck with me most..Fear of the number 13. I began to associate negative events in my life including injuries, bad break-ups, signs of having a bad day - All based on the time if I saw a digital clock, a number on the wall, counted how many people were included in an event, or others things. I even correlated negative economic events, dangerous war-zones, bad traffic hours based on this number - I placed blame on it because of what I was taught, what was instilled in me since I was young, and it seemed to have such an impact in shaping my life.

People that didn't know me well simply refuted what I believed, some calling me crazy, some calling me stupid, and ignorant. It got to the point that I felt like an outcast in some groups that associated with me, college classes where students disliked me, forums where people thought I was crazy, all of the name-calling and hatred...Then came the day I made a different type of friend, one that accepted this oddity of mine, this was life-changing.

This friend of mine worked with me and helped me overcome my fear over time, they opened my eyes not to see the number 13 in a biased way. First, they helped me with events I deemed to be negative because of the number, explaining how the number was not actually involved at the level I believed it to be - Pointing out characters/people I previously rejected due to my bias, pointing out that time-lines were not as I imagined. Next, they helped me attribute positive things to the number - Events that occurred that did indeed involve 13 whatever ( people, points, scores, time, etc. ) It took some time for me to truly get over this phobia, but it happened, now I can see the world clearly thanks to my friend!

Thank you for reading!

Cheers,

Deadlyhope

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

This is my first attempt at satire - Something I previously disliked because I could not decipher it well - and I can only hope others can draw parallels to my message and think deeper than it, let me know your thoughts!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

deadlyhope - I'm so glad you found a way to overcome this phobia. It sounds like a nightmare. Better that you be in control than the other way around. Do you have to keep on guard to keep it from getting out of hand again?

This friend sounds like a real friend, accepting and helpful and giving of them-self.

People are so small minded, un-evolved creatures, so few try to understand or to help. We all have some type of issue and I'm sorry you were treated that way for so long.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

After my post is my statement that this is satire - It is meant to be an example, specifically in my mind is homophobia. It's now used as a derogatory term ( just like "faggot" is ) And instead of educating and helping people with this phobia, they are often demonized and hated. ( At least online )

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Love it! Yea this works with all sorts of situations.
The man who hates women may have had an abusive mother, the person who can't see other races as equal probably was not raised to see them as equal. The rich kid who avoids eye contact with the homeless may have grown up only hearing that the needy are lazy.
Not all, but some of these people can be taught.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

It is obvious from your OP that you allowed yourself to be too vocal about your problem. Had you "suffered" it in mostly silence, who would have known if you didn't spread the word?

Even now, you tend to blame others for "hating" you--outrageous term for your situation--and not fully accepting where the real blame resides.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

remember laws of attraction think positive and positive shall happen think negitive and that will happen

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

This was my first attempt at satire, but you didn't read that part, and bullied someone you thought was beaten down. Way to show us who you really are.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
My car had a habit of breaking down in Taco Bell drive throughs. After it happened 3 times in a year (and always at the same Taco Bell) it really freaked me out... I never got over it so instead I simply stopped eating fast food. I'm happy with that outcome.

As humans, we do and believe some very weird things.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

That truly sounds like a nightmare! I'm very happy you were able to get past this, tho!

I used to have a tremendous fear of rain as a child. I grew out of it, but some days it looms. I know how you feel buddy!

JB

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

This was my first attempt at satire, but you didn't read that part, and bullied someone you thought was beaten down. Way to show us who you really are.

unless i am misreading this i would say to you do not give up your day job....

and friday the 13th has always been a lucky day for me

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

What many not like is having gayness shoved down their throats, this neurotic and self-righteous exercise of political correctness, trying to find "microaggression" everywhere and dividing people into convenient camps to turn on each other. It's tedious and annoying in the extreme and turns many people off.

You're gay, ok we get it. No need for you or the media to be all up in our face about it.

Homosexuality has already gone from persecuted to hip. Or at least that's what I see in young people, because they actually seem to promote it increasingly in popular culture. It's classical social engineering with a distinct Marxist character to it and all part of the package that comes with cultural and moral relativism, multiculturalism, globalism and "tolerance".

I put that in quotation marks because the tolerance only ever stretches to the followers of the same ideology and the minority groups they seem to pity so much. Whenever someone does not share this belief system they'll go out of their way to shame and ostracise them.

The tactics are cultlike, they're trying to enforce ideology on people. Something which belies the sweet mantras of helping everybody, accepting and tolerating everybody. Yeah, sure, but only if they agree with them, it's hipster Christianity "helping" everybody out. You believe in us we'll give you cool scarves and absolve you of your sins of being white, male and conservative.

This is also part of a wider agenda to cultivate softness and to blur healthy biological gender roles. It's superficial, it's manufactured, it's fake.

When both government, media and education get on the same boat with an idea together and begins pushing it relentlessly maybe one ought to be suspicious of this highly suspect behaviour.

Herodotus recounted an incident that happened in Asia Minor. This was an appeal from King Croesus, the king of Lydia to the Persian King. The Persian king wanted to kill all the males to keep them from revolting and what the defeated king proposed was to inculturate softness in order to make the people docile and servile; effeminacy was seen as the mark of a slave. These men are to be softened.

But let the Lydians be pardoned; and lay on them this command, that they may not revolt or be dangerous to you; then, I say, and forbid them to possess weapons of war, and command them to wear tunics under their cloaks and buskins on their feet, and to teach their sons lyre-playing and song and dance and huckstering (the word "retail" in one translation). Then, O King, you will soon see them turned to women instead of men; and thus you need not fear lest they revolt

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Well duh on me! I can't believe I did that. I, being incredibly dense some days, skimmed over that part thinking it was part of your signature. Ah well, glad it was just satire!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Um, I'm very straight. I'm not gay. I used to be homophobic because of the way I was raised, it took someone with a good heart and mind to teach me what I now believe is right, but I have changed my mind on the issues now, and lost my homophobic feelings.

I'm saying homophobia is now-days used as a derogatory term when often the very people using that term are just hurting the issue at hand, rather than helping anything, or anyone.

And also - I don't support the gay agenda. I support gay rights, sure. Two people loving each other is good, I'm happy for them and don't want them discriminated against. I am not for the stuff being shoved down our throats and up our asses from all directions - This type of thing happens with a wide variety of topics, it just depends on who you talk to, what the media feels like covering that week.
edit on 30-1-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

top topics

join