It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Politicians face criminal charges for lies?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
100%, no question, absolutely and about time! Liars are by definition, untrustworthy and our politicians have to be trustworthy. My old idea is that once any politician takes office, they are considered "under oath" during their employment or acting on behalf of their employment. If they lie...they therefore HAVE broken the law. Now...a lie is an untruth when you know it is an untruth. But if they knowingly lie...like Obama on a daily basis...they are immediately removed from their job, they can no longer run for any federal office and any and all pension, healthcare, etc. is forfeited.

Result...either NO politicians and we can switch to a political draft instead with much shorter terms, or at the best...liars won't bother running.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
somebody has to decide if the so called crime is even able to be proven.
Like your example of Obama's keep your insurance.
Did he lie or did he actually have no idea what was in the aca bill? My gut tells me he was clueless.
He also promised to close gitmo, it's still open. Is that a lie or just a complete lack of understanding what it would take to close the base?

Well that is up to your Prosecution services.

If he can PROVE he was ignorant on the cost of closing GITMO or the ACA then his defense could argue that cant they?

But at the end of the day one should not make promises they cant be sure of keeping.

They could argue that...but then if he was "ignorant" on the cost...then he was doing one of two things. Telling a fact which he knew that he wasn't qualified to tell or unfit for office because he didn't know. I live the way I preach...I use the words "I believe" or "I think" or "as far as I know" when I don't know something for a fact. Because if you state it as a fact, and it is not a fact, you are still lying because you know...you didn't know.

Example "There are intelligent interstellar aliens visiting Earth". That is a lie because that is not a confirmed fact. It is nothing but an opinion.
edit on 1/30/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides
a reply to: crazyewok

Absolutely!! Now I know that an argument for being able to lie to the public is essential to doing their job but more often than not it isn't. Politicians lie to the public to forward nefarious agendas or for personal enrichment. We already have the tools, pathological lying is a diagnosable mental illness which renders them unfit to hold office.

There is no "argument" for any politician to be permitted to lie to the public. PERIOD! Yes...they can say "I am unable to answer that question", but they can't lie. Once you tell a lie, you are a liar. Once you are a liar, you are untrustworthy. And an untrustworthy politician is worthless can not perform their duties.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If you asked everyone the vast majority would say YEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!

But it's not gonna happen.

The Establishment is actively protecting them, whatever political flavour they happen to be.

Why is that?

That's the interesting question.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Oh my! Doesn't your hair look wonderful today, and have you lost some weight too?

Our society loves lies and deception, in fact, we encourage, and thrive on it.

Can you imagine what our world would be like if everyone told the truth about everything?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Oh my! Doesn't your hair look wonderful today, and have you lost some weight too?

Can you imagine what our world would be like if everyone told the truth about everything?

Honest?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

That would indeed, as other posters have mentioned, destabilise the entire structure of geopolitics as we know it, and also make national level politics impossible.

I am all for it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Better yet, should politicians face charges for the deaths of their own citizens? Whether it be a bad policy, war, or improper social infrastructure to help its citizens, these things can all lead to mistrust of government and even death. How many people were led into the healthcare scam, and in the end could not afford it or had a complication that may have seriously injured or even killed them? How many American soldiers were led to war to fight an enemy that we can't even prove was a threat to America? Ultimately, giving their lives in protection of perhaps the greatest lie in all of history.

The citizens and soldiers should not be subject to the unfair and ineffective policies of a governing body. Remembering, of course, that real power stems from a mutual benefit and respect between a government and its people. Politicians should be held accountable for everything they do. This includes all the American troops lost to a war that never had any real clear evidence of a true threat to America or its values. This includes all the American citizens, who in desperate times needed our government for help, but found only distress, debt, and even death.The lies that have built up our federal government have ultimately led to to deaths of countless Americans. These people put their trust in the social contract that we have with our government, and their faith has failed them.

The politicians and corporate masters are responsible for turning my beautiful country into a land of despotism and parasitism. The largest parasite of all is the one taking our money and vanquishing our unalienable freedoms as human beings to gain more control. These people need to be held accountable for their actions, not only in the U.S. but across the globe.

Thank you for your considerations.
Love and Respect.
edit on 30-1-2015 by twhite93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Ummm...that would be me...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

No one said tell the truth...just don't lie. Big difference.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I absolutely agree OP. Any statements or promises
a politician makes that hasn't been signed in writing
under penalty of perjury, should be ignored by the
General public.

Rebel 5

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Those were not active WMDs, just old crap left over from the first war.

Most the stuff in that factory was more a danger to the user than anything.

Anyway explain why the CIA stated no WMD were found? Is your CIA that stupid?

Plus dont know why your bringing democrats into this topic? My first example already highlighted Obama knackfor lies,

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Maybe. But it wouldn't stop lying humans (be they politicians or anyone else) from lying about anything IMO. Really - it would just make their measures to cover up a lie more extreme than ever before if they felt so threatened.

I have a feeling that we, as a species, keep addressing all the trash above the rug without lifting up the rug to see what we fail to realize - the utter complexity of human nature - and how you can't really successfully govern it in any large capacity without creating more problems than solutions over a long period of time.

**I don't know what would stop such corruption - even if we cleared out capitol hill in a 'Murrica revolt spree. People in power will still be subject to potential corruption and all the lies that come with it - and that includes whoever 'wins' the 'us' versus 'them' war (that goes on and on).
edit on 30-1-2015 by Floydshayvious because: boop.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Totally agree, I like the treason charge better as it comes with a "green solution," That would be rope ;-)

I would apply this to ANY public servant including police (lesser charges of course). A cop by lying can destroy your life in a few minutes, a bureaucrat by lying can destroy your life and thousands of others in a few minutes, a politician by lying can destroy an entire nation in a few minutes. They should all be held accountable. In Canada, the signing of NAFTA by Mulroney was a treasonable offense, The same applies to Harper with the TAP and TPP. Many of the treaties that have been signed goes totally against the wishes of the Canadian people, signing those treaties should be a treasonable offense. Many of the Bills and laws enacted go totally against the wishes of the Canadian people. The allowing of the Bank of Canada (by politicians) to print and value our currency should be a treasonable offense, simply because the government has handed over economic control of the nation to a third party foreign private corporation.

The day when I see politicians and their handlers swinging from lamp posts will be a good day. I 'm old, but I can dream, right?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/30.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Floydshayvious
Maybe. But it wouldn't stop lying humans (be they politicians or anyone else) from lying about anything IMO. Really - it would just make their measures to cover up a lie more extreme than ever before if they felt so threatened.

I have a feeling that we, as a species, keep addressing all the trash above the rug without lifting up the rug to see what we fail to realize - the utter complexity of human nature - and how you can't really successfully govern it in any large capacity without creating more problems than solutions over a long period of time.

**I don't know what would stop such corruption - even if we cleared out capitol hill in a 'Murrica revolt spree. People in power will still be subject to potential corruption and all the lies that come with it - and that includes whoever 'wins' the 'us' versus 'them' war (that goes on and on).

Personally, I think lying is one of the worst character flaws in humans. Short of the obvious like murder, rape, etc. which are crimes...lying is one of the top things that destroys character. Once I find someone has lied to me, without exceptional explanation...I simply can't trust them again and as far as an employee or politician...they become useless in those capacities.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Totally agree, I like the treason charge better as it comes with a "green solution," That would be rope ;-)

I would apply this to ANY public servant including police (lesser charges of course). A cop by lying can destroy your life in a few minutes, a bureaucrat by lying can destroy your life and thousands of others in a few minutes, a politician by lying can destroy an entire nation in a few minutes. They should all be held accountable. In Canada, the signing of NAFTA by Mulroney was a treasonable offense, The same applies to Harper with the TAP and TPP. Many of the treaties that have been signed goes totally against the wishes of the Canadian people, signing those treaties should be a treasonable offense. Many of the Bills and laws enacted go totally against the wishes of the Canadian people. The allowing of the Bank of Canada (by politicians) to print and value our currency should be a treasonable offense, simply because the government has handed over economic control of the nation to a third party foreign private corporation.

The day when I see politicians and their handlers swinging from lamp posts will be a good day. I 'm old, but I can dream, right?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: myartisstrong
Abso - ____ing-lutely! Jail the entire first batch we have right now. And not club fed, but the walls unit, general pop, in Huntsville, TX. Then the next round might have a little more incentive to tell the truth or do their damnedest to fulfill their promises.

Huntsville would be too kind. Send them to Angola, LA

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71 Maybe the result would be no more stupid politicians.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Look, if we can't get politicians who have been caught red handed serving suitable LONG sentences like every one else then what chance do you think there is for getting them for lying.

While we have a system where politicians can rule themselves, judge themselves and simply steal and lie with little or no chance of action against them then the corruption will always win..

As soon as these boys and girls get involved into something big and corrupt they are given a get out of jail free card and any action is taken against some junior politician server up as a sacrifice.

The whole situation stinks to high heaven, Blair and Bush should be in Guantanamo Bay in leg irons for what they have done but where are they, walking around freely earning MILLIONS per year because they are protected.

And people expect to get a politician for lying...AIM HIGHER...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join