It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another ancient sarcophagus found on MARS??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Thank you for the link!

Let me look at the images and will come back to you.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I think it's more a case of wishful thinking on the part of Martian Archaeologist than Pareidolia but rocks come in all shapes and sizes both here and on Mars.

Here's a challenge for all you "rock" sayers:

Find and post a pic of a naturally formed rock here on Earth that looks like what is shown in the OP. Should be easy since everything looks like rocks to you all, right?

I think this is something unnatural lying on the surface of Mars. Hunk of spaceship, piece of a structure, Martian dumpster, whatever. It looks manufactured to me.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioKnecht
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

If the rover is still on Earth or on Mars or on Atacama is a whole different ball game (meriting several threads of its own) and not the subject-matter of this thread.

Please, for this thread's sake, let's just assume that it is Mars.

Then why don't you just assume that I am a Martian?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: RadioKnecht

Apparently you're not able to realize that the rock in question is only a handful of inches in size.

With all due respect...

Even if you could prove that is the case, it doesn't mean that the item in question isn't artificial/manufactured.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Find and post a pic of a naturally formed rock here on Earth that looks like what is shown in the OP.

Why ? , you would just say it doesn't look like the one in the OP , why don't you look for a better picture of the rock posted in the OP .... waste of time ?

I think this is something unnatural lying on the surface of Mars.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

edit on 27-1-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

Then why don't you just assume that I am a Martian?

'Cause that's not the subject matter of this thread!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It WOULDN'T look like the object in the OP because you're not going to find one. And the fact that you decline the challenge is very unsurprising to ME, gortex.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Yeah you're right because it could be a small decorative object. Who knows honestly? I think Mars had a civilization at one time and something happened to them. Maybe Olympus Mons blew its top and coated the place in red dust?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Apparently you're not able to realize that the rock in question is only a handful of inches in size.

So maybe it's a light switch or a bit of space debris?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Very interesting and good find.

I agree with our benevolent overlord, that it is too small to be a sarcophagus, but I think it is very anomalous and deserving of further inspection.

To me it does appear to be, A. artificial in design, or B. a unique geological feature, that again, calls for further examination.

Um, for several of you reading this thread that have been having an ongoing argument with me about other ATS members yelling "It's just a rock..." There was one earlier in this thread. Just an FYI.

The only thing I don't like about the OP is the labeling of it as a sarcophagus..otherwise, great find and keep looking!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

yea, that rock looks like a sarcophagus

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Find and post a pic of a naturally formed rock here on Earth that looks like what is shown in the OP.

A quick and easy Google search finds many odd geometric rock formations to choose from.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well, once in a while you stumble across one of these rocks on mars, that just seem to look a bit unnatural.

I don't think there's anything special about this rock, the picture shows. There might also be a good reason why it kinda looks a bit odd.

Curiosity landed in a region of Mars called Elysium. While the landing site itself is situated within the Gale crater, where you may have a higher chance to find some evidence of water and (former) life, the region itself mainly consists of volcanic rocks like Basalt

Especially formations containing Basalt sometimes look like they are somehow artificial.

Some examples (source: Wikipedia, german edition):

I'm sure you'd find even better examples of rocks, that look like they were man-made because of their orthogonalic like structure.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Tichy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioKnecht

What I'm trying to say is that, if the coffin-looking rocks got their particular shape by environmental forces, then why the rest of the rocks around them don't look also the same?

It could come down to a difference in mineralogy. It doesn't have to be a large difference. Perhaps it's intrusive, a (micro) dyke maybe? It's an interesting looking rock in that it doesn't appear to be the same as other nearby rocks, but with the field of view so small, claiming that it is an 'ancient sarcophagus' is stretching it, and frankly, wishful thinking.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tichy

But I wonder why, on Mars, there is only one anomalous basalt like rock, while in your pictures of earth there is a lot of them. Something doesn't seem right.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have no problem with cleaning up the image as with close inspection of all images from NASA images show manipulation in some way or another

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Can't tell, because i don't know actually. I'm no geologist.

I only can assume, that it's because the Gale-Crater is supposed to be an area where lots of sedimentic layer(s) formed the landscape, as it looks today. Millions of years of erosion most likely would have destroyed any earth-like looking structure of this kind of rocks, i guess.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Here are some geometric shaped rocks in the same area.

It appears they are not all that uncommon.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tichy

Can't tell, because i don't know actually. I'm no geologist.

I only can assume, that it's because the Gale-Crater is supposed to be an area where lots of sedimentic layer(s) formed the landscape, as it looks today. Millions of years of erosion most likely would have destroyed any earth-like looking structure of this kind of rocks, i guess.

I wonder if we could dig away some of the top layer of sand, we'd see more of these also? Interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Well you could ask those guys within the one-way-ticket Mars One project to do some archaeologic excavations for us. They'll have lots of spare time anyway i guess

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join